House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
babnye

Notice To Quit After 6 Years

We were kicked out with minimum notice after 6 and a half years renting a house. We have two small children so it has been pretty stressful.

LL are in the army, living just down the road in subsidised housing while we pay their mortgage. Nice touch!

But, fair enough, we knew we'd have to move some day. That is the downside of renting.

We found somewhere new to rent. We had to rent as we couldn't buy even if we wanted to as there was not enough time. LL wanted the place back at the end of the notice period. Two months. No flexibility. They said they didn't have any notice of the move but they are senior officers and that is crap. They didn't want a letting void.

LL offered to sell to us behind agents back. But the property needed quite a bit of work as they have done nothing to it for about 6 years. We said no.

They say they are moving back in - or their children are - while they are posted elsewhere and returning weekends.

Anyway, despite the fact they are having the place re-painted and re-carpeted, I paid for a professional clean. This cost me £125. We also did the garden.

Given this, and six and a half year's wear and tear, we were not expecting any problems, although the LL are shady tw*ts.

LA goes in Tuesday to inspect, says all fine.

LL go in last night and want £20 for a piece of glass on a cooker extractor fan which they say was missing (it was never there when we moved in) and £20 for a cat flap. The plastic from a cat flap just fell out and broke. It was reported to LA 2 months ago and LA did nothing. I also told LL about it. They said nothing. There were other minor points about a border we had replaced in a child's bedroom.

They have told LA that they would like at least £100 out of the deposit to put things right.

I have said I will give them £50 to get shut of the thing.

I'm so mad. There is nothing wrong with the place and I can't believe how low they are being by doing this.

I don't lie about things and have always reported problems to the LA. They are just sh*ts.

We were kicked out with minimum notice after 6 and a half years renting a house. We have two small children so it has been pretty stressful.

LL are in the army, living just down the road in subsidised housing while we pay their mortgage. Nice touch!

But, fair enough, we knew we'd have to move some day. That is the downside of renting.

We found somewhere new to rent. We had to rent as we couldn't buy even if we wanted to as there was not enough time. LL wanted the place back at the end of the notice period. Two months. No flexibility. They said they didn't have any notice of the move but they are senior officers and that is crap. They didn't want a letting void.

LL offered to sell to us behind agents back. But the property needed quite a bit of work as they have done nothing to it for about 6 years. We said no.

They say they are moving back in - or their children are - while they are posted elsewhere and returning weekends.

Anyway, despite the fact they are having the place re-painted and re-carpeted, I paid for a professional clean. This cost me £125. We also did the garden.

Given this, and six and a half year's wear and tear, we were not expecting any problems, although the LL are shady tw*ts.

LL go in last night and want £20 for a piece of glass on a cooker extractor fan which they say was missing (it was never there when we moved in) and £20 for a cat flap. The plastic from a cat flap just fell out and broke. It was reported to LA 2 months ago and LA did nothing. I also told LL about it. They said nothing. There were other minor points about a border we had replaced in a child's bedroom.

They have told LA that they would like at least £100 out of the deposit to put things right.

I'm so mad. There is nothing wrong with the place and I can't believe how low they are being by doing this.

I don't lie about things and have always reported problems to the LA. They are just sh*ts.

I think there must be something that happens to you when you let out your house, that turns perfectly decent people into prize c-nts. I have rented dozens of houses in the last ten years (due to uni, moving for jobs etc) and I have NEVER ever come across a private landlord that wasn't greedy, lazy and an absolute c0ck.

Don't be surprised B, it's par for the course I'm afraid.

Horrible people :(

This is a classic opportunity to leave them some smelly fish in places they will never find it.

It seems totally unjust.

I could understand....maybe....if you had only been in for 6 months but the fact you have been living there for 6 years consistently paying rent without any problems (i assume) just makes me angry. Thousands and thousands of pounds in rent over this time and now they are trying to screw you for a cat flat, unbelievable.

The amount of money they would have saved as well by having long term tenants instead of re advertising every 6 - 12 months.

LL and LA seem to think that they are failing in their duty if they don't take something for your deposit. My pet hate is when an angency charges you for professional cleaning on an already spotless flat and then allegedly uses a cleaning company which is part of their firm.

They have graciously accepted the £50 but honestly how low can you get after 6 years? I'm sure they've been rrenting out without consent and probably not paying tax etc too while they live in their subsidised detached house on public money! What honourable army officers.

They have graciously accepted the £50 but honestly how low can you get after 6 years? I'm sure they've been rrenting out without consent and probably not paying tax etc too while they live in their subsidised detached house on public money! What honourable army officers.

Drop a note to the Inland Revenue ;)

I was robbed of a month's deposit rent many years ago, The Managing Agents praised how I was keeping the house......I left it in a better state than when I first moved in, but in the end after about 2 years thay said they were keeping the deposit......£250 for redecorating. I decided to let them keep it as I could have wasted money on lawyers to fight them, and i decided that I would never rent again.

Please make sure you inform the Inland Revenue that you have been renting the house for 6 and a half years, and I really hope that the greedy scumbags have not been paying tax and will be hammered

I wouldn't agree to any deduction whatsoever.

I replace my cat flap every 5 years or so and this is just wear and tear for 6 years (and staywell provide replacement parts) If there is no inventory then they can't prove that the glass was in the extractor.

Just say you've taken legal advice and been told that this is reasonable wear and tear and deny the extractor. They should give you the undisputed part of the bond back anyway. Assuming it's not in TDS etc then just start with a letter and see what happens!

Some landlords just try it on to see if they can get away with it!

I wouldn't agree to any deduction whatsoever.

I replace my cat flap every 5 years or so and this is just wear and tear for 6 years (and staywell provide replacement parts) If there is no inventory then they can't prove that the glass was in the extractor.

Just say you've taken legal advice and been told that this is reasonable wear and tear and deny the extractor. They should give you the undisputed part of the bond back anyway. Assuming it's not in TDS etc then just start with a letter and see what happens!

Some landlords just try it on to see if they can get away with it!

+1... do it. you could have held back the last months rent but I suppose its too late.Bear in mind also, before you feel guilty, that as renters in the forces themselves, they would have expected all the jobs needed doing to be done PDQ too.

Edited by Bloo Loo

I have agreed the £50 to get rid of it as they have caused us enough stress.

They argue that as we don't have a cat, they cat flap should not have been damaged. What can I say but it fell out?

They are total c*nts. I have reported the matter to the HMRC who took their name and the property address but I can't see that they'd do much. They didn't seem to be very interested.

They argue that as we don't have a cat, they cat flap should not have been damaged. What can I say but it fell out?

They are total c*nts. I have reported the matter to the HMRC who took their name and the property address but I can't see that they'd do much. They didn't seem to be very interested.

How much rent did you pay your LL over the 6 year period ?

And how does that equate to the £50 they're keeping ?

That's what I find baffling.

If I was the LL I'd be embarrassed to ask for such a paultry sum.

Well, precisely. We paid £925 per month to live in that place for 6 and a half years and they kicked us out with the minimum notice.

And then they've taken £50.

As I say c*nts of the highest order

It all sounds so shady and petty not to mention asinine and stupid. I would refuse from the get go and let them try and get that pittance from my cold, dead hands.

Many of us have been in a similar situation before. There comes a time to be a bit Zen about it and be glad you are not them - imagine how that bad would be.

And of course inform the HMRC and look out for their name in the local paper court cases section - helps if they have an unusual surname. And take the lightbulbs.

Well, precisely. We paid £925 per month to live in that place for 6 and a half years and they kicked us out with the minimum notice.

And then they've taken £50.

As I say c*nts of the highest order

As a landlord myself I am sympathetic as they are being really petty. However, at least they haven't tried to do you for full redecoration of the house, as once happened to me when I was a tenant after only living in the place for 9 months and spending two whole days cleaning the place so ti was spotless when I moved out.

Actually, although it sounds like you have reluctantly reached an agreement, I think you are on strong grounds to claim your entire deposit back. The National Landlords Association now tells landlords to photograph *everything* and have a proper inventory done, because otherwise if your deposit is protected by TDS, it is up to the landlord to prove that a deduction is necessary: you don't have to go to court as the onus is on them, not you. How is your landlord going to prove any of this very minor damage you're referring to? They have a very weak case, I think.

As regards getting two months notice to move out after 6.5 years, arguably this is just the nature of rental contracts. Would it be any better if you had six months notice? Wouldn't this just be a licence to tenants not to bother paying their rent, given our pathetic debt recovery system? Remember you only had to give one month's notice all that time, and you can basically hold your landlord to ransom by withholding your rent as you wish. Also, if the landlord was on a variable rate mortgage , it's highly likely they were being crucified over the last two or three years with the high interest rates, paying considerably more than £925 in mortgage interest and making a loss that they had to cover from their salaries. OK, I know you helped them cover their mortgage during that time, but you were probably paying less than you would have done if you'd been an owner-occupier, so arguably you're actually better-off.

I fully expect to get flamed for having the cheek to say on this site that there are good things about having a private lettings market - there are those here who detest all landlords, yet never seem to consider what would happen if they didn't exist, as nearly happened before 1988 when rent control killed off the private lettings market. Hey-ho. I reckon the BTL market is pretty good - far better in terms of choice and quality and cheaper in real terms than when I was a tenant in the 1980s - plus a damn site better than trying to deal with a council housing department, and cheaper and far less hassle than being an owner-occupier. I'm renting a flat myself at the moment, for reasons of work, and life is so much easier renting compared with owning.

funny they dont seem to do much, as a benefits cheat has a whole advertising campaign and army of people after them.

Id have thought a potential fraud by any party would be worth a good look.