House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anonguest

Even If Brown Is Out Of No.10 Soon......

Assuming, as is inceasingly possible, that brown goes in near future (whether pushed or resigns) is it really reasonable to assume his successor would really call an election very soon after??

Any new (unelected PM) would still be inheriting the better part of a year till an election finally must be held. All those backbench and cabinet MPs who play a part in Browns removal will obviously be doing so because they believe they can salvage something remotely resembling an election victory for next year. After all, the new incumbent would need some time to establish his/her credentials/personality/etc.

At the very least it would allow all those doomed MPs to ride out he gravy train for another 9+ months.

Power corrupts. Any person suddenly given a crown to wear is unlikely to want to gamble it straight away? They will want to 'enjoy it' for at least a while? In a similar way it made me laugh, after Brown became PM, how there was endless speculation he would call an election early in his term. This was a man who, already feeling cheated out of the job for so long, had just finally got to play with the train set - he wasnt going to risk losing it so quickly.

Just a different (cynical) view on things thats all.

I'm really looking forward to Sir John Prescott being in charge; it's well overdue.

I think Brown is the sort of person to deliberately break toys after he's done playing with them, rather than let anyone else have a go.

In his resignation statement he'll set out the gen. election date.

I think Brown is the sort of person to deliberately break toys after he's done playing with them, rather than let anyone else have a go.

In his resignation statement he'll set out the gen. election date.

Thinking about it in that way, I'm actually inclined to agree with you.

It would be unusual for an outgoing leader to do that, wouldnt it? So, I he did do that and and call an election, it would add further credence to exactly these sorts of psychological flaws that people allege he has.

anon - you're right that there's no legal need to call an election if another PM gets appointed, but I just can't see how the new person would get away with it. Think there'd be a real groundswell for an election, even amongst people who dont care about politics. Can't have 2 unelected leaders in one term. Not on.

I think whoever takes over won't specifically be doing so to take over as PM, but rather to run as the opposition leader.

And so with that in mind, would call an election pretty much straightaway without the pressure to resign if they lose.