House Price Crash Forum

I thought that I should make a massive effort to find somewhere to live. I have to be out of my current home by the end of July. Motivating myself to look is quite hard work. So this week I've sent off a number of emails to estate agents about specific properties from rightmove.com.

So far I've been underwhelmed with one response. The EA asked me for what property did I email him. I said that I didn't know because I'd sent off a number of emails a couple of days ago. He said if you can't tell me the property that you're interested in I can't help you. I said doesn't it say on the email? He said I can't find the email. Anyway he left it saying that he couldn't help me!!!!!!!!

I'm in shock.

I thought that I should make a massive effort to find somewhere to live. I have to be out of my current home by the end of July. Motivating myself to look is quite hard work. So this week I've sent off a number of emails to estate agents about specific properties from rightmove.com.

So far I've been underwhelmed with one response. The EA asked me for what property did I email him. I said that I didn't know because I'd sent off a number of emails a couple of days ago. He said if you can't tell me the property that you're interested in I can't help you. I said doesn't it say on the email? He said I can't find the email. Anyway he left it saying that he couldn't help me!!!!!!!!

I'm in shock.

Why? If you find it hard to be motivated yourself why expect anyone else to bother about you?

If you're homeless in August who's to blame? And will it actually help you if you think you can blame an uninterested EA?

He is confirming his propect that's all

A successful double-glazing salesman I knew said he re-appointed home visits at least twice to confirm that the folk were genuine; so you really really really have to want it OP :)

I'm in shock.

I think you may find that EAs have been on the receiving end of a huge amount of bear timewasters recently, judging by the number of posts by bears on here going for a jolly and 'offering' 50% below value. Some even go to the extent of documenting their conversations with the EAs to demonstrate how clever theyve been.

I think you may have to just show a little more good intention, though I am surprised they havent put you on a mailing list. (It may be that paper mailing lists were the firsts things to be cut back). I dont know Im not an EA. But whichever camp you sit in, you do need to deal with EAs, and I would just advise a personal visit to show you are genuine..............

oh and dont be offended if they ask your personal circumstances/finance, (a favourite gripe of this forum) if I was a seller Id want to know who was placing an offer and if they could proceed. Your'e in a strong position, you have nothing to sell, so an excellent time to go a 'genuinely' negotiate. If you're in a chain, negotiation power drops to zero.

Edit: Speling... again.

Edited by Haventaclue

Why? If you find it hard to be motivated yourself why expect anyone else to bother about you?

If you're homeless in August who's to blame? And will it actually help you if you think you can blame an uninterested EA?

?

An uninterested EA is an EA not doing his job. That's the EA's problem - what's yours?

BTW How can the EA have managed to find your email address, but not the actual content of the email?

Ummm... it sounds to me like the OP is looking to rent, not buy.

Anyway, i'm also looking for a new place to rent as I need to leave my current place by July, and agents are a right pain in the ****.

For starters they never want to let you view places in the evening. Now this was never a problem before, but this time no one will do an evening viewing. Since I have to work to earn money to pay the stupid rent in the first place, I'm basically relegated to viewing on Saturdays, which means I have to check places are still available on Friday evening and arrange viewings for the next morning.

It's very annoying as I've missed several promising looking places because they won't let me come and have a look in the evening.

I've also had some fobbing me off if I call in on my own. I can only assume they think i'm a single male and will wreck the place, as a few places i've been told they have just gone, then seen them still advertised several days later. I get my fiancée to call up instead, and she gets told they are available. It's really frustrating me. I just want a decent house at a decent price, and the agents really don't seem to facilitate the process very much.

?

An uninterested EA is an EA not doing his job. That's the EA's problem - what's yours?

?

Which is more important? An EA "not doing his job" (or as other posters have mentioned weeding out potential time wasters) or a homeless OP?

Ummm... it sounds to me like the OP is looking to rent, not buy.

Anyway, i'm also looking for a new place to rent as I need to leave my current place by July, and agents are a right pain in the ****.

For starters they never want to let you view places in the evening. Now this was never a problem before, but this time no one will do an evening viewing. Since I have to work to earn money to pay the stupid rent in the first place, I'm basically relegated to viewing on Saturdays, which means I have to check places are still available on Friday evening and arrange viewings for the next morning.

It's very annoying as I've missed several promising looking places because they won't let me come and have a look in the evening.

I've also had some fobbing me off if I call in on my own. I can only assume they think i'm a single male and will wreck the place, as a few places i've been told they have just gone, then seen them still advertised several days later. I get my fiancée to call up instead, and she gets told they are available. It's really frustrating me. I just want a decent house at a decent price, and the agents really don't seem to facilitate the process very much.

Welcome to the real world.

Everyone wants a decent place at a decent price, those that are willing to view during the day clearly get to the front of the queue.

Welcome to the real world.

Everyone wants a decent place at a decent price, those that are willing to view during the day clearly get to the front of the queue.

Don't be so condescending please.

I don't see why I can't view in the evening. The place I rent now I saw through an evening appointment, and apart from when I was a student i've always viewed places to rent in the evening before, but this time none of the agents (including one I've used before) are doing evening viewings, it's very annoying as I can't just take loads of time of work for this.

Urgh...

Get motivated, there is no excuse for being lazy ever! Who says its hard to be motivated! IMHO If your not motivated in life your going to sink to the bottom.

Some of these A-S-S-C-L-O-W-N-S need to realise they're in the business of selling.

By treating buyers/renters in such a cursory manner they are doing the vendor a disservice too.

If I were trying to sell or let a property I'd be pretty f.cuking furious if I found out they weren't bringing people round at all available opportunities.

Some of these A-S-S-C-L-O-W-N-S need to realise they're in the business of selling.

By treating buyers/renters in such a cursory manner they are doing the vendor a disservice too.

If I were trying to sell or let a property I'd be pretty f.cuking furious if I found out they weren't bringing people round at all available opportunities.

My thoughts exactly, and saying it's outside their normal working hours is a bit of a weak excuse.

I often have to work late, and I'm not even in sales. Some of our sales team will be in the office from 8am and won't leave till late at night, especially given the economic situation right now. I don't see why Estate and lettings agents can't do the same.

Never had any luck with E mails... I think they are overwhelmed with them at times because they are so so easy to click and send...a phone call is better,a personal visit even more so....make an attempt at getting to know them.They are human after all (waiting for the caustic humour on that).

There are so many time wasters out there...I run a small business and very occasionally get the odd call after ten at night and Im darn sure its just someone lonely who just wants a chat !

ps (OP) a couple of e mails will hardly get you somewhere to live........

Edited by tiggerthetiger

Thanks everyone.

I do want to find a place to live.

And yes I am most probably wanting to rent a place.

I do seem to be having trouble getting through to EA's so maybe a change of tack is needed.

I am a bit old school though and if I were an EA (which I'm not) I would jump through every hoop put in my way to keep a customer satisfied.

Thanks everyone.

I do want to find a place to live.

And yes I am most probably wanting to rent a place.

I do seem to be having trouble getting through to EA's so maybe a change of tack is needed.

I am a bit old school though and if I were an EA (which I'm not) I would jump through every hoop put in my way to keep a customer satisfied.

Have you thought about trying to rent privately? Advertise on Gumtree, check your local paper, even newsagents' windows. Direct landlords are usually far more interested in making evening appointments and you don't have to pay a letting/estate agent's iniquitous charges either.

Have you thought about trying to rent privately? Advertise on Gumtree, check your local paper, even newsagents' windows. Direct landlords are usually far more interested in making evening appointments and you don't have to pay a letting/estate agent's iniquitous charges either.

Oh ok thanks for that I'll give it a go.

The whole attraction to renting through an estate agent is the hope that you will be able to get a professional service where the agent is polite, curteous and business like, setting you up with a range of options and thinking outside the box on your behalf, however, that sort of service is not consistent. In my experience, estate agents are split into two, the adults including the big cheeses are on the sales side and the rentals is generally done by a gimp or an indian girl or someone expendable with no decision making or thinking capacity. Thats because they dont care about rental tennents but they want the money. This results in you getting a third rate service.

They are a bit like prostitutes in that if you dont give them what they want right there and then its service with a sulk, the smile fades away and your a liability.

I dont know, its just not easy. However, once your in its easier as they are less likely to visit you in the middle of the night on some strange pretext.

You do have to keep at it, thats just the way it is.

When I was looking for my property it was the dawn of the internet and i didn't have the internet so i got manilla folders and each one was an estate agents and i cycled all over London and Berkshre from estate agent to estate agent and got all the papers etc and ended up with about 30 folders with property options ranging from the ludicrously expensive through to the totally dodgy indian bloke in a rented room above a rubbish bin that had some scraps of paper that related to somesones flat that might or might not be free, he didn't seem too sure that he had gotten out of bed yet or that i was in the same room.

Personally, and this is a personal reflection, i would reccomend moving about alot. I have been in this shit hole for 10 years. I would have moved but prices just went through the roof. But the single benefit of renting is that you can move about and each time you move you enrich your life experience, but its only viable if rents are affordable, which they are not.

The whole attraction to renting through an estate agent is the hope that you will be able to get a professional service where the agent is polite, curteous and business like, setting you up with a range of options and thinking outside the box on your behalf, however, that sort of service is not consistent. In my experience, estate agents are split into two, the adults including the big cheeses are on the sales side and the rentals is generally done by a gimp or an indian girl or someone expendable with no decision making or thinking capacity. Thats because they dont care about rental tennents but they want the money. This results in you getting a third rate service.

They are a bit like prostitutes in that if you dont give them what they want right there and then its service with a sulk, the smile fades away and your a liability.

I dont know, its just not easy. However, once your in its easier as they are less likely to visit you in the middle of the night on some strange pretext.

You do have to keep at it, thats just the way it is.

When I was looking for my property it was the dawn of the internet and i didn't have the internet so i got manilla folders and each one was an estate agents and i cycled all over London and Berkshre from estate agent to estate agent and got all the papers etc and ended up with about 30 folders with property options ranging from the ludicrously expensive through to the totally dodgy indian bloke in a rented room above a rubbish bin that had some scraps of paper that related to somesones flat that might or might not be free, he didn't seem too sure that he had gotten out of bed yet or that i was in the same room.

Personally, and this is a personal reflection, i would reccomend moving about alot. I have been in this shit hole for 10 years. I would have moved but prices just went through the roof. But the single benefit of renting is that you can move about and each time you move you enrich your life experience, but its only viable if rents are affordable, which they are not.

I STR two years ago and my first point of call was estate/letting agents. TBH, I was shocked at the charges. £275 for a £3 credit check? Then I talked to other renters and learned all about charges for inventories, charges for renewing leases (basically signing the same piece of paper with different dates on), exit charges, not getting deposit back, etc.

It took some time because letting agents seem to have a stranglehold, but I found a private landlord, got a better deal on the rent because they weren't paying any fees. They live just round the corner and are friendly but respect our privacy. When things go wrong, they are round immediately to fix problems. I know when I leave that they won't dick me around with my deposit because I've looked after the place and they're decent people.

In short, it's the perfect renting experience and the way things SHOULD BE.

I sympathise, its bad enough if you are trying to buy, let alone wanted to rent, don't you know nobody respects you if you are trying to rent!!

I find this whole EA internet thing really odd, everyone uses the internet for EVERYTHING yet agents want you to phone or better still go in the office otherwise they don't think you are interested. This was bad enough last year when EA's didn't have all the problems of finding the elusive buyer with money. I had friends who e-mailed agents to get on their books as it was easier than phoning each one with details, they only got one repsonse from an agent despite several websites providing an online form with 50 + agents on so you can register your details with all the agents in one go.

They then phoned each agent giving details and got 2 responses .

Finally went into several agents who all said they do not take people seriously unless they call in the office regularly.

My friend did not want to talk to agents on the phone, he wanted to look at properties online, ask Q's by e-mail and consider if he was interested in looking at the property . Agents wanted buyers willing to go and look at crap properties just to get someone round to look at the properties on their books.

I think buying a house is a nightmare at the best of times, right now with EA's and sellers RAMPING and chains breaking with all the inherent cost of legal fees and surveys whether the chain brakes or not , and the possibility of 50% falls, who on earth would buy in todays market?