House Price Crash Forum

What are typical EA fees? In discussion with a local independent firm recently, the guy said 1.5% but could do 1.25%. In the days of sub 100K average house prices this seemed OK, but charging 4K for a bit of glossy paperwork and some phone calls seems unrealistic, or is this the norm?

What are typical EA fees? In discussion with a local independent firm recently, the guy said 1.5% but could do 1.25%. In the days of sub 100K average house prices this seemed OK, but charging 4K for a bit of glossy paperwork and some phone calls seems unrealistic, or is this the norm?

1.25% is pretty good at the moment, althuogh you have to admit that they surely deserve every penny of that hard earned income.

I think that most EA's do ask for between 1.5-2% +VAT for selling a house. They will normally quote a slightly smaller percentage if you only advertise with them, but charge slightly higher if you want to place with multiple agencies.

There is a place that charges 0.5% I haven't used them, so have no idea if they are any good.

Another place I thought looked reasonable value is 121 move. I haven't tried them, but was considering advertising with them - it seemed to be the cheapest way to get my house advertised on Rightmove. Rightmove only allow EA's to advertise. In the end I may have found a buyer for my house privately. The builder I got in to put in a new kitchen/bathroom/heating system asked how much I wanted for the place. I said to make me an offer and I accepted his offer STC. If this falls through I will probably stick it on 121 move.

There is a place that reviews the online property websites here. They are certainly cheaper than advertising through a traditional EA, but it may take longer to sell and requires you to show the people around the house.

estate agents are evil.

they do nothing more that cant be done remotely, ie, over the phone, and there are too many of them, you only need 1 centralised warehouse operations unit per town. Like supermarkets. Surely someone has tried to come up with a system like that. I would definatly buy my house from Tesco. So if you needed to view they just send a dude in nice overalls and a van out to open the doot for you. Thats all estate agents do in practice.

i went to view an auction house and the eastte agent didnt even go inside, it was just some woman and she sat out side in her car in the warm, it was too cold to go in the house. The house was full of people wandering around asking everyone else if they were the agents..

dont blame her really, but they could have tried. So many people just dont try anymore.

Apart from what you have already found out you can

Sell through Housenetwork (www.Housenetwork.co.uk) for about £300, listed on Rightmove etc etc, which incidentally worked for me and save me 1000's,

or

You can sell through Savills and other high end EA's who can charge up to 3% for the "works".

I don't know what the norm is in Berkshire, but agree with a previous poster - it doesn't seem to be a walk in the park these days.

To say that the EAs fee is payment for some brochures and some phone calls is simplistic - like saying the 45p for a tin of beans in Tesco is for the tin and the beans and the label only; you have to factor in growing, harvesting, picking, packaging and transport to the final shelf.

Likewise, factor in all the other behind the scenes expenses that need to be covered for the EA. The £4k isn't salary in hand for your agent, it's a business income.

However, in my neck of the woods, an agent has to be doing a bit more than merely putting a card in their window, throwing it on a website, and sitting back to get 1.25% or 1.50%. Did the agent who quoted this fee not give you even a suggestion that they would be doing some pro-active work to earn their fee?

estate agents are evil.

they do nothing more that cant be done remotely, ie, over the phone, and there are too many of them, you only need 1 centralised warehouse operations unit per town. Like supermarkets. Surely someone has tried to come up with a system like that.

Drivel. Child abusers are evil, murderers and rapists are evil. Possibly the Korean (nuclear) govt as well. EAs don't even come close.

Maybe you've spotted the business opp that will make you, 50%deposit, the Tesco of the EA world. Why hasn't anyone done it already? Because, I'm tempted to suggest, it's not a case of 'doing everything over the phone'.

Why do you think businesses are moving away from call centres in Mumbai and making a selling point of having all their call centre staff in the UK? Because nobody wants to deal with someone running through a script in a foreign country.

Same with selling their house. It's a big transaction, and they want to see the person who's dealing with it.

estate agents are evil.

That's a bit harsh. I remember them as being very comprehensive when I was viewing properties, particularly when opening the door to a small room with a close-coupled pan and cistern, and a basin - observing sagely "This is the toilet" or with Savills, "This is the lavatory".

p-o-p

you can always negotiate. i reckon most ea's would rather 1% of something than 2% of nothing. especially as it is easy money for them.

Likewise, factor in all the other behind the scenes expenses that need to be covered for the EA. The £4k isn't salary in hand for your agent, it's a business income.

Yes, but their fees have effectively tripled in the last 10 years.

That's a bit harsh. I remember them as being very comprehensive when I was viewing properties, particularly when opening the door to a small room with a close-coupled pan and cistern, and a basin - observing sagely "This is the toilet" or with Savills, "This is the lavatory".

p-o-p

maybe for you

but when i get them to show me around, 50% of the time they dont show up anyway, they usually figit and seem rushed giving me the feeling that they dont believe i have any money and im wasting their time and the sooner its over the better.

Not once has an esate agent called me to ask if im interested in putting in an offer??? Why???

Because they are evil, they have tapped into the devils blood and the devil is telling them not to offer me properties as im unworthy.

Honestly, in desperate time you make calls. Get a property, call all the people on your list, are you interested in viewing or making an offer. But not my Estate Agents. They would rather DIE PAINFULLY than do something as condesending as that.

They sooner thye are all publicly executed the better..

Apart from what you have already found out you can

Sell through Housenetwork (www.Housenetwork.co.uk) for about £300, listed on Rightmove etc etc, which incidentally worked for me and save me 1000's,

or

You can sell through Savills and other high end EA's who can charge up to 3% for the "works".

Which is great, but when did you sell ? As the market gets tougher, it gets a lot harder to use stuff like housenetwork to get the best price..... - because there are fewer buyers out there (at any prices being asked).

How do you know Savills etc. would not have got you an extra £15K or whatever ? And so been worth it ?

Which is great, but when did you sell ? As the market gets tougher, it gets a lot harder to use stuff like housenetwork to get the best price..... - because there are fewer buyers out there (at any prices being asked).

How do you know Savills etc. would not have got you an extra £15K or whatever ? And so been worth it ?

I always have a deal with mine.1% cash money in a plain brown sealed envelope.No income tax (for him) No VAT (for me) My solicitor hates it.Staight laced type and thinks it "underhand".

I always have a deal with mine.1% cash money in a plain brown sealed envelope.No income tax (for him) No VAT (for me) My solicitor hates it.Staight laced type and thinks it "underhand".

you do realise your solicitor has a duty to report his concerns (he does not even need to know it's happening, just be suspicious) to the Serious & Organised Crimes Agency - and he's not allowed to tell you if he has..... - and if not, he's committing a criminal offence and the Law Society is not that great a fan of people who permit tax evasion through their client account (indirect or otherwise)...

maybe for you

but when i get them to show me around, 50% of the time they dont show up anyway, they usually figit and seem rushed giving me the feeling that they dont believe i have any money and im wasting their time and the sooner its over the better.

Not once has an esate agent called me to ask if im interested in putting in an offer??? Why???

(snip)

They sooner thye are all publicly executed the better..

That's still a bit harsh. Maybe if we had some more background on your dealings with some of these agents, we might conclude why they're reluctant to speak to you. Maybe it's because you viewed 101 properties out of curiosity, rather than a serious inclination to buy. I don't know. Maybe when you viewed them, you gave them the impression you weren't interested.

What happens if you get bad service in the grocer or the supermarket? Do you post something somewhere saying grocers and supermarket staff are evil? Or is it just EAs?

Edited by TTD

Yes, but their fees have effectively tripled in the last 10 years.

..along with many other things going up in price that they need to run their business.

How much do you think their actual earnings, post-expenses, should have gone up in ten years? Do you think they should have stayed static? Gone up by 10%? 20%? Gone down? Been linked to RPI or Inflation Rate?

Do tell.

Whats the difference? Its still the same %. You sell the house for more so you get a higher %, so does he. Regardless of whether its 400k or 100k.

you do realise your solicitor has a duty to report his concerns (he does not even need to know it's happening, just be suspicious) to the Serious & Organised Crimes Agency - and he's not allowed to tell you if he has..... - and if not, he's committing a criminal offence and the Law Society is not that great a fan of people who permit tax evasion through their client account (indirect or otherwise)...

Quite right. Slight problem is that solicitors are aware of this requirement and submit a number of reports. Solicitor, client and staff of SOCA are likely to be of more interest to subscribers of ancestry.co.uk than the CPS when these reports are read and considered.

p-o-p

..along with many other things going up in price that they need to run their business.

How much do you think their actual earnings, post-expenses, should have gone up in ten years? Do you think they should have stayed static? Gone up by 10%? 20%? Gone down? Been linked to RPI or Inflation Rate?

Do tell.

How many other businesses charge 3x what they did 10 years ago?

Whats the difference? Its still the same %. You sell the house for more so you get a higher %, so does he. Regardless of whether its 400k or 100k.

That's irrelevant. He's getting paid a lot more for the same amount of work.

That's irrelevant. He's getting paid a lot more for the same amount of work.

So one works for Savills and the other works for Winkworths. Its not irrelevant. His costs have gone up as well over thes years.