House Price Crash Forum
AvidFan

Microsoft Will Offshore Jobs If The Us Raises Taxes

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/money_co/2...-to-charit.html

But in Washington, the software giant’s chief executive, Steve Ballmer, made it clear that the company’s charitable views don’t extend to paying what it considers unfair U.S. tax rates: Ballmer threatened to move more jobs overseas if President Obama prevails with his proposal to end tax breaks on foreign earnings.

And I am sure that the US government and military will save a lot more switching over Linux if that happens.

But in Washington, the software giant’s chief executive, Steve Ballmer, made it clear that the company’s charitable views don’t extend to paying what it considers unfair U.S. tax rates: Ballmer threatened to move more jobs overseas if President Obama prevails with his proposal to end tax breaks on foreign earnings

Unfortunately it is unlikely to offshore the jobs to the UK.

Never mind. The US still have General Motors

Is a Linux Server admin cheaper than a Microsoft Server admin these days?

(are you sure?)

Much cheaper.

in 10 years of contracting, I've never met a capable Windows Admin. But that is more of a slant on the product that the people working with it.

Windows as an OS looks worse and worse each year, Apple have stolen a much needed break in switching to X as a 'nix based syste it gets lots of hardcore coders able to write software without a ridiculously expensive SDK any other development kit having to be bought from Mircosoft. As for server admin and running costs whilst MS have done a lot of work with backoffice apps, they are not as rigourously tested like any nix platform (geeks hack and then close the holes).

Another way to think about it, if you a government with hundreds of thousands of PCs on which you have to buy Licenses for the OS and for the word procesing and spreadsheet applications, how much do you save longterm against the cost of educating your workforce shortterm for a new method of operating a PC?

Windows as an OS looks worse and worse each year, Apple have stolen a much needed break in switching to X as a 'nix based syste it gets lots of hardcore coders able to write software without a ridiculously expensive SDK any other development kit having to be bought from Mircosoft. As for server admin and running costs whilst MS have done a lot of work with backoffice apps, they are not as rigourously tested like any nix platform (geeks hack and then close the holes).

Another way to think about it, if you a government with hundreds of thousands of PCs on which you have to buy Licenses for the OS and for the word procesing and spreadsheet applications, how much do you save longterm against the cost of educating your workforce shortterm for a new method of operating a PC?

that sort of logic wont get you anywhere in this country

Simple you use a gradual approach

Guest vicmac64

This is big news - the Global Corporatists now wield the power to dictate to the representatives of the People of the United States. Their corrupt politicians will do the corporatists bidding. The people need to reassert control of their country and break up such institutions as dare to defy their sovereign will.

Oh dear that will be less money to buy expensive copies of Windows and Office. We will have to rely increasingly on pirate copies or Linux (like they do in the thirld world where they intend to outsource the jobs) as we will be poorly paid and indebted slaves of some globalist corporatist state.

Oh and we won't be able to buy cars too or have big mortgages or pay £250k for a shoe box. Don't think the "elite" (and I use that word loosely) are thinking this through properly. If you hollow out a a "host" economy eventually the parasite goes bust too! (Probably too many mixed metaphors).

This is big news - the Global Corporatists now wield the power to dictate to the representatives of the People of the United States. Their corrupt politicians will do the corporatists bidding. The people need to reassert control of their country and break up such institutions as dare to defy their sovereign will.

No, just sabre rattling. Mexico love shouting at the US about how little their IT costs in comparison per person. Balmer can shove it up his ass if the sheeple ever start to look at Ubuntu instead of spending 5 mins going "It's not windows".

Guest skullingtonjoe
Oh dear that will be less money to buy expensive copies of Windows and Office. We will have to rely increasingly on pirate copies or Linux (like they do in the thirld world where they intend to outsource the jobs) as we will be poorly paid and indebted slaves of some globalist corporatist state.

Oh and we won't be able to buy cars too or have big mortgages or pay £250k for a shoe box. Don't think the "elite" (and I use that word loosely) are thinking this through properly. If you hollow out a a "host" economy eventually the parasite goes bust too! (Probably too many mixed metaphors).

MS Office just looks like a washed-up actress having undergone the nth facelift and still smoking crack.

Solution: Open Office. No I`m not on a Linux evangelo-rant here - it is very good and it`s free. Just a matter of adjusting to the slightly different location of some of the menu items. ;)

Yawn

• Apple chose 'nix because it saved them money (as opposed to building something from scratch). It still crashes all the time (I have one)

• Half of the software developers in the UK use Visual Studio as their main IDE. I do not know how many use Eclipse to write Java apps for the windows platform, but it is a lot.

• As for ridiculously expensive tools – try Visual Studio Express. It is ummmm, free........

Yawn
  • Apple chose 'nix because it saved them money (as opposed to building something from scratch). It still crashes all the time (I have one)

• Half of the software developers in the UK use Visual Studio as their main IDE. I do not know how many use Eclipse to write Java apps for the windows platform, but it is a lot.

• As for ridiculously expensive tools – try Visual Studio Express. It is ummmm, free........

Ah The joys of .NET applications which I experience everyday when I open SQL Server Studio Manager and wait and wait and wait and wait..........................................

This is before you even try to connect to the SQL Server database

Ah The joys of .NET applications which I experience everyday when I open SQL Server Studio Manager and wait and wait and wait and wait..........................................

This is before you even try to connect to the SQL Server database

Must be something wrong with your machine/network. I've never had a problem with it.

Much cheaper.

in 10 years of contracting, I've never met a capable Windows Admin. But that is more of a slant on the product that the people working with it.

Not according to the job boards.

Don't get me wrong and don't bother getting religious about it, because I've worked with both Microsoft and Linux technology extensively.

Linux gives a lot more control, but with control comes responsibility and with responsibility comes an expectation of higher reward. That's just the way it is.

And a £300 license is an awful lot cheaper than an extra £10k pay raise.

Don't get me wrong and don't bother getting religious about it, because I've worked with both Microsoft and Linux technology extensively.

Linux gives a lot more control, but with control comes responsibility and with responsibility comes an expectation of higher reward. That's just the way it is.

Yeah, MS stuff is designed to be simple to use. However, a lot of IT bods do not want IT to be simple to use - they want it to be mysterious and complex so that they can come across all god like when they make it work. That way, their egos get boosted and they can ask for more pay.

And therein lies the attraction of that 1960's technology that all of the 'nix heads try to promote as the answer to everything.... :rolleyes:

However, a lot of IT bods do not want IT to be simple to use - they want it to be mysterious and complex so that they can come across all god like when they make it work.

Not sure I'd agree with that though. I wish it were simpler. Your life would be much better if IT were simpler.

My point is that most (if not all) windows admins are useless. They don't understand the underlying product and are just skilled click monkeys.

This usually only comes to light on catastrophic failure. Us unix guys tend to understand what is going or will attempt to find the issues, while the windows people panic as their mouse pointer as buggered off.

Unix people build tools to make their work easier, windows people tend to buy them.

Edited by abaxas

My point is that most (if not all) windows admins are useless. They don't understand the underlying product and are just skilled click monkeys.

This usually only comes to light on catastrophic failure. Us unix guys tend to understand what is going or will attempt to find the issues, while the windows people panic as their mouse pointer as buggered off.

Unix people build tools to make their work easier, windows people tend to buy them.

I think generalizations on skill levels probably don't help.

In addition, if people buy good tools to help with hardening or admin tasks, those tools represent a significantly lower availability risk than an individual getting it catastrophically wrong. And lets face it, in UNIX root, that's not as difficult as it sounds.