House Price Crash Forum
grey shark

Uk New Car Sales 25% Lower In May Than Last Year ....

UK new car sales 25% lower in May

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8082583.stm

Green shoots anyone ????????

They are shit canning the cash-for-bangers in August.

Unfortunately, that number cannot stay low forever, as the longevity of most autos does not exceed four years within an acceptable level of affordability and reliability.

Too bad the next bunch of cars will be container shipped from China.

I'm surprised it is only down 25%. Thought it might have been greater.

I bet the vast majority of them are company car sales.

Nobody I know has bought a new car for a very long time.

I dropped my wifes car off for service this morning at a big multi-franchise dealer. I've never seen so few cars on their forecourt, new or used (and I've been there scores of times over a dozen years).

Unfortunately, that number cannot stay low forever, as the longevity of most autos does not exceed four years within an acceptable level of affordability and reliability.

Absolute rubbish. Cars built since the 90s have, in the main, a much higher level of longevity and reliability. There are exceptions (late 90s Mercedes have rust problems. Modern cars with high pressure diesels another one) but most cars can go on for 8 or so years quite happily. A little bit of routine maintenance is all they need. You can even buy a new car with a 7 year warranty (Kia or Hyundai IIRC) and so your 4 years figure is completely wrong. It just seems that Joe Public has got used to changing cars every 3 years and can't see that they are throwing away something with a lot of life left in it.

Absolute rubbish. Cars built since the 90s have, in the main, a much higher level of longevity and reliability. There are exceptions (late 90s Mercedes have rust problems. Modern cars with high pressure diesels another one) but most cars can go on for 8 or so years quite happily. A little bit of routine maintenance is all they need. You can even buy a new car with a 7 year warranty (Kia or Hyundai IIRC) and so your 4 years figure is completely wrong. It just seems that Joe Public has got used to changing cars every 3 years and can't see that they are throwing away something with a lot of life left in it.

+1. What planet is he on?

My S-reg Toyota has never had a major fault.

Same with my wifes prior S reg Nissan, until some twit wrote it off 2 years ago.

Sure there are plenty of other examples out there.

If that was really the case, scrapyards would be full of 5 year-old cars! I've always run older cars - both our current ones are 15 years old. One was bought for £2600 in 2001 and, assuming it's s now worth £200, that's just £300 a year depreciation. While it has obviously had to have some money spent on it, it's never broken down while on a journey - and it's been on lots of long journeys. I will concede that it's time to replace in now, though!

Same with my wifes prior S reg Nissan, until some twit wrote it off 2 years ago.

Ok, fair point...

Let's exclude far east autos. My Toyotas and Hondas have been bullet proof. Can't say the same for the others.

Ok, fair point...

Let's exclude far east autos. My Toyotas and Hondas have been bullet proof. Can't say the same for the others.

I like to live on the wild side - have a 1998 Fiat Coupe: 85k miles, daily driver, never let me down, 0-6 in 6 secs, looks the business, not a spot of rust.

Most unreliable car I ever had, with the worst dealers, was an Audi A4 which I got from new in 2003 and got rid of it after 2 years as it was such a heap of crap.

Another statistic mentioned on BBC News 24 was that for the first time, over half the new cars sold were diesel.

And that's presumably despite fleet purchases being at a low.

Edited by blankster

I dropped my wifes car off for service this morning at a big multi-franchise dealer. I've never seen so few cars on their forecourt, new or used (and I've been there scores of times over a dozen years).

The shortage is worsening.Prices of used cars are still rocketing and I personally don't see the point in lining up rows of nags that will probably fall in value before they get sold.After selling thirty cars in March,Twenty in April and ten in May I think it's pretty clear the way things are heading and I too have reduced my stocks rather than pay crazy prices.I suppose that is the market mechanism working.

I like to live on the wild side - have a 1998 Fiat Coupe: 85k miles, daily driver, never let me down, 0-6 in 6 secs, looks the business, not a spot of rust.

Most unreliable car I ever had, with the worst dealers, was an Audi A4 which I got from new in 2003 and got rid of it after 2 years as it was such a heap of crap.

Wow, you do 'live dangerously.' Wish I had the balls to do that, but my experiences with FIATs have not been encouraging. Nice car to oogle, though.

Hmm, whilst 3 years is ludicrous, you are probably correct suggesting 7 or 8 years - after that the annual repair bills start approaching the market value of the car. Modern cars aren't designed to last beyond a decade. This wasn't true of cars made in the 1960s. Our family, in Australia, had a 1964 Holden for over 30 years. I can't remember anything going wrong with it (I owned and drove it for 5 of those 30 years), and the cost of repairs were trivial, as you could do most of them yourself (sometimes with a hammer).

The shortage is worsening.Prices of used cars are still rocketing and I personally don't see the point in lining up rows of nags that will probably fall in value before they get sold.After selling thirty cars in March,Twenty in April and ten in May I think it's pretty clear the way things are heading and I too have reduced my stocks rather than pay crazy prices.I suppose that is the market mechanism working.

Do you reckon used car prices are bubbling and fit to burst, then?

I've been keeping an eye on a few models 2nd hand since Christmas, and prices, to me, and without analysis, just seem to have shot up.

yep, My 53 Toyota with 73K on it is still like new....well, when the tyres are replaced.... its got a rattly shock but otherwise, its perfect.

was going to keep it 7 years, but coming to its 6th, It could be going the full 10 and an extra 2K discount on the next....if the deal is still on.

The Local toyota dealer used to clear the forecourt every night, but now its choca with used ones....maybe the back lot is empty but I dont know.

Do you reckon used car prices are bubbling and fit to burst, then?

I've been keeping an eye on a few models 2nd hand since Christmas, and prices, to me, and without analysis, just seem to have shot up.

That's the big question Melchett old bean. I suppose the analogy is with the housing market where a lack of supply is holding things up better than expected.It just seems to defy logic that the % of value is climbing in what is now a pretty dead market.From my point of view I have sold 100 cars in the first four months of 2009 and I only need to do another hundred in the rest of the year,so happy to look at a half empty forecourt and a bank statement in black.

Will agree about Nissans - a tow truck operator told me (whilst towing my car that had had its engine block crack) that he almost never had to tow a Nissan. I had a K reg Nissan until 2006 when a bus decided to pull out wihtout indicating. It probably would still be running now. The only problem with Nissans of that era is that the gearbox needs rebuilding at about 100k as 5th gear "goes".

Posted this in another thread,

Total industry Europe19 April YTD

Cars 4485996 -825752

Commercials 691931 – 329718

Total industry Europe19 March YTD

Cars 3293506 -662514

Commercials 521862 -230379

First four months of this year, Ford sold 471,725 vehicles a fall of around 79000.

125,800 in Britain and 92300 in Germany.

New cars sales numbers aren't that bad, down certainly, but much better than the initial estimates.

Commercial sales on the other hand have fallen through the floor.