House Price Crash Forum
headmelter

What Did New Labour Do Wrong?

There are very few posters on this site that have anything positive to say about the labour government.

I often wonder what an alternative government could have or would have done differently over the last three or four years which would have avoided the current sad sorry state of affairs.

The politicians that I have the unfortunate opportunity to elect don't have any impact on policies concerning finances and the economy therefore I wonder what is the alternative for voters in England, Wales and Scotland and would it have or will it make a difference?

Simply look at the debt bubble.

Assess if it were sustainable.

Calculate the effects if it wasnt.

Take appropriate action.

Would "they" have done any different

"They" would not.

The blame lies in a higher office than the govenrment.

If you agree, get your tin-foil hat on - you're a bit of a nutter aren't you!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

There are very few posters on this site that have anything positive to say about the labour government.

I often wonder what an alternative government could have or would have done differently over the last three or four years which would have avoided the current sad sorry state of affairs.

The politicians that I have the unfortunate opportunity to elect don't have any impact on policies concerning finances and the economy therefore I wonder what is the alternative for voters in England, Wales and Scotland and would it have or will it make a difference?

New Labour hasn't done anything wrong.

Its done exactly what it was supposed to do.

****** us all over.

What could <other party> have done differently? I think you have to go back rather more than 3 or 4 years though - try 10 or more

Top of my list would be not changing the welfare state from a safety net into a lifestyle choice.

Not driving every public service from the centre via arbitrary targets.

Not reneging on manifesto commitment re EU constitution

the list is endless frankly and i can't be arsed to regurgitate it all.

As far as the economy is concerned, the whole New Labour concept of hiding all our borrowing under a great big PFI carpet whilst simultaneously ignoring / creating pension crises (public/private respectively) and growing the public sector.... and yes i really do think certain other parties would not have done this.

No doubt the Tories would have created the same bubble/banking crisis, but we'd be in a better position to cope with it

Edited by pilchardthecat

Well, as a starting point:

UKIP have said house prices are too high. No excuses. Just too high.

Libs have said that high house prices were caused by a debt bubble. Unfortunately their taxation policies make them unelectable.

The Tories have said their is a housing bubble but haven't said they will do anything to help bring prices down.

Labour don't think high house prices are a problem, there just isn't enough cheap credit.

Nu Labour would say Spin, Spin, spin

The public would say Lie, lie, lie lie some more, lie lie, lie, repeat lie, lie, lie lie, repeat lie, lie, lie.

Oh and build your million quid property portfolio on the tax payer.

I doubt either of the other two main parties would have landed up us anywhere that was a significant improvement than where we are now. It's possible there might have been a bit more competence in the public sector, under the Tories, but by no means guaranteed.

Incompetence. A long word (one that perhaps NuLabour wouldn't understand) ...

The incompetence does indeed start at the top.

Sell gold at the wrong time because we need money (only to print money hand over fist a few years later).

Admit that you see the problem(s) years before they spiral out of control and then admit that you actively chose not to do anything about them.

Declare the 'end of boom and bust' and the most generous (probably least meaningful/accurate/factual) thing you can say is that he got it wrong because he was too proud to admit that global stuff affects local economy.

Laud it over the NuLabour leader you oust during and immediately after ousting him only to be proven less effective/even more incompetent ...

Refuse to accept responsibility (apologise) for anything ... personally or in terms of organisational representation ...

What does it matter, though ... what they have done? What they have NOT done is the bigger issue. The whole sad bunch of them want us to 'move on from the expenses debacle' because it is so (proportionately) minor and let them get on with wasting our hard-earned efforts on gross negligence ... "you can't trust us with the little things, but trust us with the big things instead" ... how does that work?

One challenge specifically to the NuLabour fallacy in particular tho: be honest.

A complete lack of honesty (or integrity/ability to stick to manifesto-level promises) in their own personal lives AND in their ability to drive harder and harder for more stealth taxes (and lies about bubbles in the economy). And then there's gross growth in public sector to secure more and more protected employment. And then pay the FSA huge bonuses for achieving sweet nothing.

NuLabour: utterly inconsistent and grossly dishonest.

Would any other party be any less dishonest? I dunno ... said ain't it?

Rant over. Sorry if this has wasted your cyber space.

Aidanapword

New Labour got the housing boom bust idea from the Tories, they just took it too far and lead us into a depression.

What New Labour did wrong was to be too scared of regulating the banking sector. They were worried that if they intervened in that sector, as would have been necessary to prevent the bubble, they would have been viewed as "old labour" and lost the votes of middle England. So it was a lack of political courage and conviction - they were more interested in retaining power than doing the right thing.

As do all politicians who actually get elected. Their number one priority is always getting back into power, not doing what is in the long-term interests of the country according to their own political philosophy.

The other major mistake was invading Iraq, but that can be blamed on Tony Blair personally rather than New Labour in general. He was too far up George Bush's ****.

Edited by UndercoverElephant

I doubt either of the other two main parties would have landed up us anywhere that was a significant improvement than where we are now. It's possible there might have been a bit more competence in the public sector, under the Tories, but by no means guaranteed.

That's probably true. We've reached the same point with NuLabwhore that we reached with the insufferable Tories.

Have said it before, but...

Labour's problem is they're not so much party that likes to say "yes", but the party that's pathalogically incapable of saying "no". As to what they did wrong, it's no single thing. It's simply that their entire agenda has been based on appeasement. Think about who they've cuddled up to over the years. Here's a few...

- The City

They were never the party of the free market, so they went all out to make themselves said party. They let the city get away with absolute murder out of (in my opinion) sheer fear that if they did anything else, they'd be seen as 'Old Labour'.

- 'Hard working families'

Throwing money at couples with kids is a straight winner. Most voters are either in that category, or were in that category. It's just a straight vote buy. Nothing more, nothing less.

- The War on Terror

Two points here. For a start, Labour always suffered from being 'soft on defence'. This was their great chance to prove they weren't. Okay, so they weren't really defending against anything, but hey, it was a war. Grrrr.... get 'em etc. Second, it's a chance to cosy up to the Septics (and not just any Septics, Neocon Septics) and stick two fingers up at Europe - perfect stuff if you're trying to prove you're not Old Labour.

- Tax and Spend

Despite all the claims made regarding Labour and tax (pension funds and council tax \ business rates, yeah, I'll accept them) they haven't exactly raised taxes for those outside the top rate*. Why? Because they never had the ******ing plums to do it. Raise direct taxation? Noooo, we can't do that! People won't like it! They still spent though...

- Borrow and Spend

Well, if we can't raise taxes, let's ******ing borrow it. Even discounting the pension liabilities and PFI (if you can), to borrow the way they have, in a boom, when they could have been running a serious surplus from 2000 to 2007 was really ******ing daft. Why do it? Oh, because we said "schools and hospitals", so we've bloody well got to throw money at it. Why? Because it's "nice". Paying down past debts isn't "nice". Standing up at the budget, year after year, and telling everyone you've spent "more than the Tories" is.

- Huntin' and smokin'

Let's play "clobber the minority". Easy winners, these. Pick a minority you can clobber in PC way, and clobber them. Had it been politically correct to put badgers through log shredders, they'd probably have done that to.

- Debt, the recession, QE

See HPC for details. Anything but accept there are major imbalances in the economy. Anything. Their current efforts are like trying to shove diahorrea back up your own ****. Don't even go there.

- Stat-chasing

Good things must go up, bad things must go down. We must create metrics and they must do what we want. More graduates, better exam results, more growth, lower inflation... all just numbers with minimal underlying logic. Who gives a ****** if we've swamped the world with English Literature grads, or managed to buy plasma screen TVs cheaper thanks to... erm... the standard lifecycle of tech products... we must make the numbers go the right way. Lower unemployment? Of course, they're disabled now! Wage inflation controlled... clearly, thanks to a horde of eastern Europeans! It's bloody endless.

- Other shit

There's probably loads, and I'd like to hope some of our wonderful HPC'ers would add them in. Suffice to say, I cannot think of a single courageous decision this current mob have made. Everything... everything... has been the easy, say "yes", populist, floating voter-centric way out. It's been pathetic. It's been wet. It's been cowardly. It's been cynical.

* Past tense here, so no "50% rate for blah" comments, please.

What could <other party> have done differently? I think you have to go back rather more than 3 or 4 years though - try 10 or more

Top of my list would be not changing the welfare state from a safety net into a lifestyle choice.

Not driving every public service from the centre via arbitrary targets.

Not reneging on manifesto commitment re EU constitution

the list is endless frankly and i can't be arsed to regurgitate it all.

As far as the economy is concerned, the whole New Labour concept of hiding all our borrowing under a great big PFI carpet whilst simultaneously ignoring / creating pension crises (public/private respectively) and growing the public sector.... and yes i really do think certain other parties would not have done this.

No doubt the Tories would have created the same bubble/banking crisis, but we'd be in a better position to cope with it

+1

People voted for "Labour" to get rid of tories, but with "New Labour" just got more of the same and just got apathetic at having no choice..

(although I have spoken to people who "didnt like that Tony Blair he's a Tory in disguise" but "that Gordon Brown he's labour I like him" and you just wonder sometimes..)

I think you have to look beyond 3-4 years and I think there are a few things they did badly;

1/ The tax raid on pensions was both stupid and evil.

2/ They pandered to the banks and big business, failing to regulate on the things that actually mattered, such as credit, whilst simultaneously introducing a seemingly never ending parade of nonsensical regulation in areas that are ultimately of no real consequence yet still act as obstacles to business functioning.

3/ They sold gold at the wrong time.

4/ They started an expensive, unjust and illegal war.

5/ They have consistently moved against individual freedom for ordinary people.

6/ They put the interests of globalists over and above those of their own people in ways such as doling out work permits in order to drive profits up but the natives out of work.

7/ They bailed out the bankers when they should have let them sink. A short sharp crash would have been better than the decades of misery they have chosen for us.

8/ They turned the education system into a userers cash cow instead of going for educations that might actually be useful.

9/ They have consistently undermined the family.

I could go on but suffice it to say they have been a total shower of sh1te...... That said the Tories would have been almost as bad.

Guest BAREBEAR_soon to be ALIVA

They were under the impression that by allowing a house price boom and mew would create a feel good factor that would last forever and while it did they got re-elected which strengthened the belief. Once the ball had started rolling no one was brave enough to put a stop to it.

You have to say Blair played the game right and got out at exactly the top. Whether that was luck or judgement, who knows ?

They were under the impression that by allowing a house price boom and mew would create a feel good factor that would last forever and while it did they got re-elected which strengthened the belief. Once the ball had started rolling no one was brave enough to put a stop to it.

You have to say Blair played the game right and got out at exactly the top. Whether that was luck or judgement, who knows ?

Judgement, I would imagine.

Labour have screwed every single person under 40 in this country, they created the housing boom by restricting social housing, they knew what they were doing. Just look at the amount of 2nd 3rd etc.. properties owned by labour MPs, look at the assets they owned before they came into power and after.

Labour have screwed every single person under 40 in this country, they created the housing boom by restricting social housing, they knew what they were doing. Just look at the amount of 2nd 3rd etc.. properties owned by labour MPs, look at the assets they owned before they came into power and after.

+1