House Price Crash Forum
Dave Beans

Commercial Suicide?

Most of it is rubbish, but I did like their UEFA Cup coverage on ITV4 - it might not have been on terrestrial TV otherwise..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...y-watching.html

ITV risks viewers' fury over talks to move its Freeview channels to subscription-only Sky

Millions of households who own a Freeview set-top box could lose some of its most popular channels. ITV is considering moving its free-to-air digital channels to subscription-only channels, it has been claimed. The broadcaster, facing the biggest financial crisis in its history, has opened talks with Sky.

Media observers have called the idea 'madness' as the popularity of Freeview has been credited with making the channels a success. ITV2, which airs spin-off shows such as Britain's Got More Talent, is the most watched non-sports UK digital channel. Such a move would spark a backlash and the channels' ratings could fall.

A recent Ofcom report showed 17.2million homes have Freeview, while Sky has just 9.3million subscribers. It is understood the talks involve ITV2, the classic drama channel ITV3 and male-orientated ITV4. ITV would pay a 'carriage fee' to the satellite service in return for a guaranteed cut of revenues from the channel packages Sky sells to subscribers.

The broadcaster is considering desperate options after it posted a pre-tax loss of £2.73billion last year. It has axed 1,600 jobs since September and dramatically cut its programming budget, particularly hitting drama and daytime shows. However, the BSkyB move would inevitably spark an angry backlash from ITV's digital viewers as they realise they face paying for something they are used to getting free. The high-risk strategy would see the channels' ratings plummet and the fall might not be off-set by the money ITV would get for charging for them.

ITV2 has become a ratings success story with its combination of ITV1 spin-offs, for shows like Britain's Got Talent , and successful U.S. acquisitions, such as American Idol. It has also developed its own successful programming including various programmes fronted by Katie Price and Peter Andre.

The broadcaster focused instead on building up its suite of digital channels via Freeview, the hugely successful DTT free-to-air service that replaced ITV Digital. Despite the dire state of the advertising market, ITV has increased revenues from its digital channels business to an impressive £242million.

But bosses are looking at whether a move back to pay-TV will help reduce the dependence on advertising.

ITV would also have to do a separate deal with Virgin Media,

Edited by zagreb78

Sounds like Sky will take ITV over. Well I suppose otherwise ITV would go to the wall.

Who is in for the ITV rights issue?

Edited by Ash4781

Definitly suicide as most Freeview boxes can't accept a viewing card that a subscription channel would use - how many little old ladies would go out and buy a new box, not many I think!

LOL

I didn't know there was an ITV2 on freeview... actually that's a bit of a fib but I don't think I've watched it ever.

Don't watch itv 1 very often.

sadly most of the known universe need to feed on the braindraingingcrud on itv.

The problem now for ITV is that so many HPC'ers have 'ditched the TV' that no one with any money is watching the adverts. (not that they ever spend anything!)

If ITV goes bust and Corrie goes off the air we might really get a revolution.

To right, the tax payer should step in to fill the void, imagine the rise in crime if all that crap programming has to be paid for, they are to big to fail! regardless of the poor content and viewing systems that allow you to FFWD through the adverts.

(I should have a moan about the license fee, but if it wasn't for Chris Moles/Scott Mills I would lose my sanity/sense of humour)

I'd miss Sky Sports News, Dave and Virgin1 from freeview. Even then, I wouldn't cry.

Even Film4 has gone to the dogs.

To right, the tax payer should step in to fill the void, imagine the rise in crime if all that crap programming has to be paid for, they are to big to fail! regardless of the poor content and viewing systems that allow you to FFWD through the adverts.

(I should have a moan about the license fee, but if it wasn't for Chris Moles/Scott Mills I would lose my sanity/sense of humour)

How can you lister to Moyles? He hardly plays any tunes and he isn't funny. Listen to Hirsty's daily dose on Galaxy. Much better.

Anyway, if ITV did go ppv then IU think that would be the end of the tax payer funding the BBC. I think most people regard ITV as being something they get as part of their paying the fee, even if technically it isn't. Take away ITV and you are left with BBC1 and some very minor channels. Can you justify the license fee for that?

Anyway, if ITV did go ppv then IU think that would be the end of the tax payer funding the BBC. I think most people regard ITV as being something they get as part of their paying the fee, even if technically it isn't. Take away ITV and you are left with BBC1 and some very minor channels. Can you justify the license fee for that?

I hope you're right. I hate paying the license tax so much. It does surprise me Cameron doesnt announce it as a policy since the BBC became so anti tory and pro liebour.

There's plenty of money around still, it's just that ITV has developed an unsustainable business model based only on advertising. If it actually made its own programmes like in the old days, it could be enjoying the kind of profits that it allows Simon Cowell and other purveyors of TV crap catering for Britain's lowest common denominator to earn!

Scott Mills, chortle.

perlease.

Nobody will pay purely for an ITV prescription! But people who buy SKY, or Virgin will expect it!

ADVERT TOPICS - ENDLESSLY REPEATED

1) Accident compensation

2) Loans

3) Online Gambling

4) Car Insurance

The Golden Goose has layed it last, egg, and it doesn't look golden! :(

Edited by MrPin

I do quite like ITV4 for the nostlagia programmes: Professionals, Sweeney, Minder, Auf Weidersehen Pet (first two series only, three and four were dire) but having now seen them I'm not watching them much anymore.

ITV3 has the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series which was the best, again seen it.

ITV2 is a waste of channel space.

ITV1 has Harry Hill's TV Burp and the odd film.

I don't think I'd miss them if they all went tomorrow.

Same for Dave, it had a reliable 8pm Top Gear, 9pm QI / Never Mind the Buzzcocks slot but I've seen them all now.

I'm not about to get rid of the telly but I won't buy a new one when it breaks.

I do quite like ITV4 for the nostlagia programmes: Professionals, Sweeney, Minder, Auf Weidersehen Pet (first two series only, three and four were dire) but having now seen them I'm not watching them much anymore.

ITV3 has the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series which was the best, again seen it.

ITV2 is a waste of channel space.

ITV1 has Harry Hill's TV Burp and the odd film.

I don't think I'd miss them if they all went tomorrow.

Same for Dave, it had a reliable 8pm Top Gear, 9pm QI / Never Mind the Buzzcocks slot but I've seen them all now.

I'm not about to get rid of the telly but I won't buy a new one when it breaks.

I must admit I like the ITV "classic" repeats, since programs of this quality are rarely made nowadays!

LOL

I didn't know there was an ITV2 on freeview... actually that's a bit of a fib but I don't think I've watched it ever.

Don't watch itv 1 very often.

sadly most of the known universe need to feed on the braindraingingcrud on itv.

I didn't know you could have a bit of a fib.

There are ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4 on Freeview.

Select Freeview in the 'Select TV Provider' box and you will see,

at

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/

I only have freeview as Sky is a total rip off.

I'm not bothered either way with ITV - I can't recall the last time anything worth watching was broadcast on one of their channels (apart from sport).

Millions of households who own a Freeview set-top box could lose some of its most popular channels.

This will be the beginning of the end for ITV, and so in that respect I hope they go pay-per-view.

A combination of increased competition and a steady output of dumbed-down, crap programmes (Britain's Got Talent, X Factor, Waterloo Road, etc) means that ITV is successfully losing both advertising revenue and viewers. ITV has no big stars (Vernon Kay, Ant and Dec and Jordan hardly count as stars); they certainly don't have any big names with talent, charisma or wit. BBC, at least, has the likes of Jonathon Ross, Jeremy Paxman, Andrew Marr, and others - try naming one person on ITV who has a modicum of depth. (Harry Hill is probably the exception, but even Hill, I feel, hasn't got the vehicle he deserves.)

I thought Michael Grade would be the saviour of ITV - ditching its silly talent competitions and poorly-written shows - but it seems he has merely come along and hammered a few more nails in the coffin.

Edited by Danny Deflation