House Price Crash Forum
ralphmalph

Manufacturing Triumph

1951_triumph_grand_prix_s.jpg

They don't make 'em like they used to. I owned one of these when I was a lad. It cost me £40 from a vehicle scrapyard - in running order!

post-12677-1244062910_thumb.jpg

1951_triumph_grand_prix_s.jpg

They don't make 'em like they used to. I owned one of these when I was a lad. It cost me £40 from a vehicle scrapyard - in running order!

I bet you still wished you owned it now. would be worth far more that 40 quid. As yoofs we all owned bikes that are considered classics today. From Fizzies to four hundred fours to orginal bonnevilles.

Oh those were the days, no debt, no worries and 20 year girl on the pillion getting warmed up for when you got home.

As credit capital decreases and oil prices resume their upward trend, I can see (lower-performance) motorcycles and mopeds becoming more and more popular - just like in developing countries, and the UK in the 1970's.

Indeed there's a whole class of "nothing fancy" jobbing motorbikes and scooters that will probably be exhumed.

As credit capital decreases and oil prices resume their upward trend, I can see (lower-performance) motorcycles and mopeds becoming more and more popular - just like in developing countries, and the UK in the 1970's.

Indeed there's a whole class of "nothing fancy" jobbing motorbikes and scooters that will probably be exhumed.

Yeah, if the economy really goes down the tubes I'll get one of those Honda CG 125 clones while they're still cheap.

Wuyang are pretty good I hear. (wuyang makes small engines for Honda apparently)

I bet you still wished you owned it now. would be worth far more that 40 quid. As yoofs we all owned bikes that are considered classics today. From Fizzies to four hundred fours to orginal bonnevilles.

Oh those were the days, no debt, no worries and 20 year girl on the pillion getting warmed up for when you got home.

Loose engine bolts, and rigid rear suspension meant girls on the pillion spent nothing on vibrators.

Ill say it again.. the UK is currently the 7th largest manufacturer in the world (Italy and Russia are a fraction ahead of us and a small increase in exports and the UK would be the 5ths largest manufacturer again), see graph belowof the top 7.

The Uk shouldnt knock itself so much, we export billions, and with a smaller population we export more per head than even the big countries!

Top7Manufacturers.jpg

post-552-1244065546_thumb.jpg

Edited by moosetea

Ill say it again.. the UK is currently the 7th largest manufacturer in the world (Italy and Russia are a fraction ahead of us and a small increase in exports and the UK would be the 5ths largest manufacturer again), see graph belowof the top 7.

The Uk shouldnt knock itself so much, we export billions, and with a smaller population we export more per head than even the big countries!

ah, but have you applied the ONSmiscalculatorâ„¢ to those stats ? ;)

And I own one and it is very good.

What's the ground clearance like? Okay, I'm sans bike at the moment*, but the one thing that's bugged me about that style of machine in the past is said ground clearance. I've never owned such an item, but after test rides on a V-rod and whatever that Beemer one was called, I was kinda put off by their tendancy to ground out during even moderately spirited cornering.... especially the V-rod, which wallowed so much if I hit a bump that I found I had no confidence in my chances of keeping it out of the bushes at anything other than a very leisurely pace. Bit a bugger really, as there's something about the riding position for that sort of thing that just feels cool as ******.

* Saving for a deposit has some horrible downsides...

(Edit, for numptiness)

Edited by Moo

Loose engine bolts, and rigid rear suspension meant girls on the pillion spent nothing on vibrators.

Well, I wouldn't know about that but on one occasion I got a girl home only to find that she'd p!ssed on the seat.....puts you off a bit!

What's the ground clearance like? Okay, I'm sans bike at the moment*, but the one thing that's bugged me about that style of machine in the past is said ground clearance. I've never owned such an item, but after test rides on a V-rod and whatever that Beemer one was called, I was kinda put off by their tendancy to ground out during even moderately spirited cornering.... especially the V-rod, which wallowed so much if I hit a bump that I found I had no confidence in my chances of keeping it out of the bushes at anything other than a very leisurely pace. Bit a bugger really, as there's something about the riding position for that sort of thing that just feels cool as ******.

* Saving for a deposit has some horrible downsides...

(Edit, for numptiness)

I do not have a Rocket. I would imagine they are just fast in a straight line and you pray that a corner never arrives, made for the yank market.

I have a Sprint ST, it is very nimble through the corners as long as you get the suspension set right. Can not compete with my mates Hyabusa on acceleration, I lead for the first five seconds then when his 1300cc engine kicks in I am surprised he can still hold on.

One of my 'hobby horses' is that you can now only ride a 50cc moped on a car licence.

So if you need to go on roads above a 30mph limit you are constantly being overtaken by cars, buses and heavy lorries etc which is dangerous.

The alternative is to get a full bike licence which is now very costly, time consuming and also dangerous.

If the government is serious about cutting emissions it should change the law so that anyone, say over the age of 21, who has a full car licence can ride up to a 125cc bike.

One of my 'hobby horses' is that you can now only ride a 50cc moped on a car licence.

So if you need to go on roads above a 30mph limit you are constantly being overtaken by cars, buses and heavy lorries etc which is dangerous.

The alternative is to get a full bike licence which is now very costly, time consuming and also dangerous.

If the government is serious about cutting emissions it should change the law so that anyone, say over the age of 21, who has a full car licence can ride up to a 125cc bike.

Not if you passed after 1991 or summink

Then you cant ride Sweet FA without taking some sort of cycling proficiency test.

What? Don't you just have to pass some sort of "lite" test to ride a 125 after a year or so?

I may be well behind the times there, please enlighten me because I was thinking of getting a cheap 125 just recently.

Obviously not thinking too hard, mind, or I'd have found all this out by now ;)

I do not have a Rocket. I would imagine they are just fast in a straight line and you pray that a corner never arrives, made for the yank market.

I have a Sprint ST, it is very nimble through the corners as long as you get the suspension set right. Can not compete with my mates Hyabusa on acceleration, I lead for the first five seconds then when his 1300cc engine kicks in I am surprised he can still hold on.

Oh, now the Sprint ST is more my kind of territory. Never ridden one, but the proportions are nice, and they (like all Triumphs) seem to be nicely put together. My last effort was an R1100RS*, and I always fancied something slightly more sporty but without losing too much of the comfort and 'solid build' feeling. Tried a mates VFR800 and, whilst nice enough, it had too much of that sports bike flimsiness about for my liking.

Better stop this, or the savings are going to take a hit :(

* Old n' farty, yes, but more than capable of writing off a back tyre thanks to chunks out of the edge :)

is that inflation adjusted?

also be interested to know how much is north sea oil/gas

What? Don't you just have to pass some sort of "lite" test to ride a 125 after a year or so?

I may be well behind the times there, please enlighten me because I was thinking of getting a cheap 125 just recently.

Obviously not thinking too hard, mind, or I'd have found all this out by now ;)

Surely you need the CBT test to be allowed on a 2 wheeler with L plates?

Maybe the rules have changed, er, again? :(

is that inflation adjusted?

also be interested to know how much is north sea oil/gas

I believe that processed oil is a major part of those figures.

Of course from oil you also get lots of petro chemicals.

So thats it pretty much. We make oil and packets of crisps, oh and screw together Japanese cars.

Even our defense industry is pathetic compared to what it once was. Nearly all munition factories have closed, martini electronics were flogged off, virtually no guns are made here anymore, they've stopped making tanks here, our armored vehicles are now made by the Germans and our helicopters are made by the French.

JCB and Rolls Royce are the only success stories out of the whole lot, but how long until we flog them off?

The Dutch used to go on about the fact that they exported more per head than Japan.

But it is really simple maths.

The smaller a country is, the more likely it is to export a higher proportion of its goods.

It was the same with BA when they trumpeted the fact that they were 'the world's favourite airline' because they had more international flights...even though their US competitors were clearly much bigger...but of course internal us flights didn't count on this metric.

I wonder where the UK comes in terms of size compared with European countries then....

Whenever you see the UK on a map on the news or the weather shows, we seem to be the same size as France & Spain put together. We must be really, really big then. Like a Tardis.

& we wonder why no-one in Europe likes the UK, apart from the benefit claimants obviously.

It is the sensible thing to do, so won't happen.

I have very occasionally seen somebody wobbling on a 50cc on my fast A road. They're doing 30 and people are roaring past them at 55 / 60. Rather than being annoyed by the delay they cause I'm more worried about them, they must be terrified.

If they were on a CG125 with proper size wheels and easily capable of 60 they'd be a lot safer and I'd be a lot less worried about hitting them because of their erratic wobbling.

As it is you usually see toddling mopeds on the roads (for the no licence required reason) or monster bikes that can (and do) do 120 and up. It's not a healthy mix, if everybody was riding 125s / 250s it would make much more sense.

I did the CBT over several weeks (wasn't in a hurry, was enjoying riding the bikes) and decided a bike was too vulnerable on the road so didn't take it any further.