House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

markinspain

Microsoft's New Search Engine Called Bing

Microsoft's old search engine now called 'Bing' would be a more appropriate name for it, as far as I'm aware.

The trouble with competing with Google is unless you're Google, you can't really do it regardless of the quality of the product.

In terms of annecdotal evidence regarding it's use, looking at today's logs for work's site we've actually started picking up hits from it, but compared to hits from Google it's marginal (to the point of irrelevance). Will keep an eye on it nonetheless. Still it's doing better than that other thingy (you know, the one with the pictures) that showed up a few months back.

Can't take anything called Bing seriously.

Might have something to do with a popular American comedy series.

Microsoft's old search engine now called 'Bing' would be a more appropriate name for it, as far as I'm aware.

The trouble with competing with Google is unless you're Google, you can't really do it regardless of the quality of the product.

In terms of annecdotal evidence regarding it's use, looking at today's logs for work's site we've actually started picking up hits from it, but compared to hits from Google it's marginal (to the point of irrelevance). Will keep an eye on it nonetheless. Still it's doing better than that other thingy (you know, the one with the pictures) that showed up a few months back.

You're right about that other one called Cuil or something? I've never heard of it again since BBC mentioned it - obviously someone had a good contact!

I've done a couple of little searches and it appears to be slightly quicker and the map part appears to be more up to date than the google one. Interestingly looking at the photo of my house here, it appears that the photo part has been done from a plane rather than a satellite simply by the angle it has been taken.

I guess we'll see if it catches on.

It wasnt that long ago that google was unheard of , and my searches were on altavista, infoseek or yahoo. It could easily go out of favour with something new, trendy and different.

Personally, I wish google would make an Ebay competitor as Ebay has become the work of the devil and they need knocking out of business.

Cuil... that was the one! Strange piece of kit. Just had another look at it (I guess their funding hasn't run out yet), and it' still surreal. That said, we've now had a hit from it, although given it was me I don't think that really counts.

Suddenly diving off at a tangent...

One aspect of search engine usage I simply cannot get my head around is the sheer number of punters who search for a specific site by the full domain name (as in 'www.moos-site.com'). Yes, I know it's a lack of general tech literacy, but it still leaves me rather stunned. You have to wonder whether, in the early days direct dial telephones, people would phone each other up to ask for their numbers.

It wasnt that long ago that google was unheard of , and my searches were on altavista, infoseek or yahoo. It could easily go out of favour with something new, trendy and different.

Whilst I'm no gambling man, I'd happily bet my deposit fund that Google are still the market leader by a country mile in ten years time. I'm sure they'll make some stupid decisions (they've got previous, they bought youtube), but their core search engine business is about as safe as it comes.

Mid-2008, source Hitwise -

"In the U.K. market, Google search properties (Google.co.uk and Google.com) accounted for 87 percent of all UK searches representing a 12 percent increase compared to May 2007.

Yahoo! search properties accounted for 4.09 percent of UK searches in May 2008, a 2 percent increase compared to April 2008.

MSN search properties accounted for 3.72 percent and Ask search properties accounted for 3.07 percent of searches. MSN increased two percent compared to April 2008 and Ask increased 6 percent."

On the assumption that Bing is a new front end to the same back-end as MSN, I'd wager that Bing has no more than 4 or 5% of the search traffic. Assuming Google to be static at 87%, it's no contest.

Guest skullingtonjoe
I'm surprised nobody's posted a link yet (unless I've missed it)

Is it better than google?

www.bing.com

What a stupid f*cking name!

I suppose it`s just about better - although less interesting - than calling it `bong`. Speaking of which... :rolleyes:

Whilst I'm no gambling man, I'd happily bet my deposit fund that Google are still the market leader by a country mile in ten years time. I'm sure they'll make some stupid decisions (they've got previous, they bought youtube), but their core search engine business is about as safe as it comes.

Was a similar story about 10 years ago for Microsoft, so huge you couldn't see where it could go wrong, then people got jealous and called in the authorities and it started to go down the pan. They are of course still a massive company but you can now see where potential rivals can cut in to their market.

I would imagine that's what will happen eventually to Google.

Was a similar story about 10 years ago for Microsoft, so huge you couldn't see where it could go wrong, then people got jealous and called in the authorities and it started to go down the pan. They are of course still a massive company but you can now see where potential rivals can cut in to their market.

I would imagine that's what will happen eventually to Google.

Cut market share, yes, a little, but Microsoft still utterly dominate the desktop market. That said, I can see Linuxy things picking up more and more over the years for no reason other than cost. Free stuff's, well, cheaper (on the face of it at least). I'm sure Apple will be in there somewhere, but it's all still very 'lifestyle', and very proprietary.

The problem, when it comes to competing with Google, is price competition just isn't possible. It's pretty much a battle of branding and nothing else.