House Price Crash Forum
IwanttobutIcant

Landlord Shocked At Bank Valuation

If there's a more incompetent bunch of **** covering charlatans than Estate Agents it's surveyors/valuers.

I went to college to be a professional. I value professionally. I really object to your comments but presumably a fellow surveyor valued "rebus sic stantibus" (as it stands) instead of your fantasy world eh? You sir/madam are a nitwit.

Tom Watkins MRICS

Wishful thinking I think. Maybe for a problem family or student let in a grotty part of the NE even x10 would be expensive but a 5% return plus the prospect of (long term) appreciation which my x 20 comes to would be more realistic in a nice part of Surrey.

If interest rates go up making 5% return unattractive it will be because we have a return to inflation and the property would appreciate.

Might not interest rates go up because of gilt yields rather than inflation? And wouldn't this exert downward pressure on house prices?

that makes more sense - that makes my current rented flat almost sensibly priced - before - maybe silly 2007 prices but still way off.

Lets all just pull numbers and muliplies out of our asres to get the right figure. Absolute comedy.

Using the annual rent calculation, that means that the house we rent would have been 37 times the annual rent in 2007! :o

For the record, it as now 26 times due to prices on the new build estate tumbling. I think there is still plenty left to drop before they offer good value though. Half the price again sounds pretty crazy, but in the long term, it would probably be about right.

The property in question is a 3 bed semi, was 195k in 2007 and they are now being sold at 139k (with all the extras thrown in). Maybe they will be 70k in a few years or maybe inflation will have halved the value of the pound. Time will tell I suppose, but they are still too dear either way with normal interest rates.

Lot of em about ;)

My LL came round earlier to fix the oven. Lovely chap, having a nice chat and he mentioned in passing that house prices had gone up for the first time in about 18 months. Luckily he had his back to me, fixing oven doors on the hinges. Me, in a surprised voice: 'Oh really? Who'd have thought it?' left it at that. He's an inteligent enough bloke, so why on earth does he really believe that house prices will RISE with in a recession? Have they ever risen in such circumstances?

reached the tiI was going to say 'in the middle of a recession', but I think we've just started.

He's an inteligent enough bloke, so why on earth does he really believe that house prices will RISE with in a recession? Have they ever risen in such circumstances?

yes, many times in the previous crash.