House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cinnamon

Freakonomics' Homeseller's Guarantee Idea

Because the legal system is corrupt, contracts are unenforceable without political will (ie. force), and solicitors are very expensive. Just like our entire legal system, it would be a sham, and just like our financial system it simply wouldn't work. Anyone for AIG....................

Yes, I've often wondered why, with so many "frustrated bear" threads popping up, more bears don't try this. Make an immediately procedable offer at 35% off for a nice property, and then put the 35% in an interest bearing escrow account, to be kept by the buyer if prices rise back to peak within a few years, and retained by the bear if they don't.

Courage of convictions and all that...... ;)

I really don't follow that at all .

Buyer=Bear get's 35% off and then if prices go up he keeps the 35% on deposit and if they go down he keeps the 35% on deposit .

Uh ?

Home sellers should offer price protection the way many electronic retailers do: http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2009...ice-protection/ and http://www.slate.com/id/2219369/

I think that this would end in lots of court cases -- other than that, it's not a bad idea, of course the same kind of contract could be made for extra payments on top of the sales price if the house prices rise again.

EDIT: spell fail in title and I feared someone would find my typo and keep it, so I put it safe.

Edited by Cinnamon

I think that this would end in lots of court cases -- other than that, it's not a bad idea, of course the same kind of contract could be made for extra payments on top of the sales price if the house prices rise again.

EDIT: spell fail in title and I feared someone would find my typo and keep it, so I put it safe.

Yes, I've often wondered why, with so many "frustrated bear" threads popping up, more bears don't try this. Make an immediately procedable offer at 35% off for a nice property, and then put the 35% in an interest bearing escrow account, to be kept by the seller if prices rise back to peak within a few years, and retained by the bear if they don't.

Edited by HAMISH_MCTAVISH

Yes, I've often wondered why, with so many "frustrated bear" threads popping up, more bears don't try this. Make an immediately procedable offer at 35% off for a nice property, and then put the 35% in an interest bearing escrow account, to be kept by the buyer if prices rise back to peak within a few years, and retained by the bear if they don't.

Hamish why don't you buy a house for the full asking price this week, then show us all how wrong we were next year, go on do it. Courage of your convictions and all that .

This is an excellent idea. One trusts the value of the currency will also be guaranteed not to fall?

I really don't follow that at all .

Buyer=Bear get's 35% off and then if prices go up he keeps the 35% on deposit and if they go down he keeps the 35% on deposit .

Uh ?

Yes, I meant seller. Now edited.

Hamish why don't you buy a house for the full asking price this week, then show us all how wrong we were next year, go on do it. Courage of your convictions and all that .

I already have two, and rent neither. What the feck would I want another one for?

Home sellers should offer price protection the way many electronic retailers do: http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2009...ice-protection/ and http://www.slate.com/id/2219369/

Looks like Amish actually admits prices are down 35% :P

I already have two, and rent neither. What the feck would I want another one for?

Then why feck do you spend so much time on here?

Because, according to you, its a great idea.

Your suggestion for bears has zero advantages, why should I tie up my money in a bank account - obviously you won't get a loan to deposit the money in bank account.

Simply waiting will have the same effect.

Edited by Peter Hun

Then why feck do you spend so much time on here?

And why is he on here for all daylight hours. Why did he turn up? What about his timing; which conincidentally is around the same time the Aberdeen property market started to nose dive.

Answer these for McSpamish and you have an insight into the incideous nature of this troll. It obviously doesn't involve doing anything productive.

Yes, I've often wondered why, with so many "frustrated bear" threads popping up, more bears don't try this. Make an immediately procedable offer at 35% off for a nice property, and then put the 35% in an interest bearing escrow account, to be kept by the seller if prices rise back to peak within a few years, and retained by the bear if they don't.

But you are buying the property at today's price, not one in 10 or 20 years time. Prices are currently 25% lower than they were 2 years ago. That's the market level. People don't have to trad at that level but if they want to then they need to price to the level.