House Price Crash Forum
crash2006

Catch 22’ Wages Threaten As Spain Joblessness Soars

At least they don't have to rely on Russia for their oil. I still think the trick up their sleave is the extensive high speed rail network they are building. Hopefully it will boost the infrastructure while giving all their builders something useful to build.

I do agree that it is tiresome when everybody comes out with the usual clichéed stereotypes when talking about foreign countries. I'm surprised nobody has come out with the usual xenophobic crap about PIGGS on this thread yet. When you consider what most Spanish people's experience of Brits is like, it's amazing they don't look down on us.

Spain imports virtually all they energy needs, produces 29k bbl per day, consumes 1.7million bbl. i guess they depend on Libya instead of Russia.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/th...ok/geos/sp.html

Spain has a massive trade deficit, building HS rail lines on borrowed money won't make much difference to an economy that is utterly trashed.

>I'm surprised nobody has come out with the usual xenophobic crap about PIGGS

What is Xenophobic about a collective name of five countries that has crap economy's?

Spain imports virtually all they energy needs, produces 29k bbl per day, consumes 1.7million bbl. i guess they depend on Libya instead of Russia.

Spain has a massive trade deficit, building HS rail lines on borrowed money won't make much difference to an economy that is utterly trashed.

What is Xenophobic about a collective name of five countries that has crap economy's?

Compared to the amazing economies of the UK, Iceland, USA , Ireland ?????

Rather be in Scotland thanks, regardless of my financial situation.

+1 but would subsitiute London, why do so people equate quality of life to sunshine? IMHO there is a bit more to it than that.

Guest redwine
+1 but would subsitiute London, why do so people equate quality of life to sunshine? IMHO there is a bit more to it than that.

they all believed channel 4 "a place in the sun"

I know Spain imports nearly all their energy needs - that's why they are world leaders in alternative sources such as wind and solar energy. Importing oil from North Africa is a better bet than importing it from Russia at the moment.

So you are saying that infrastructure improvements such as new transport links don't make much of a difference to an economy?

It's not a collective name, it's an abbreviation of their names, and when pronounced it sounds like "PIG", hence making it a derogatory term in this context (and also not very funny). So a derogatory term is being used against certain countries - hence it is xenophobic. It really ain't that hard to work out.

Guest redwine
Always used to be Italy. I think people started spelling it PIIGS when they wanted to include Ireland.

pigs

portugal

italy

greece

spain

the way things are going over here you might as well add france that makes it" F pigs"

or the" regroupment de pays de la méditerranée " as sarko calls it

I know Spain imports nearly all their energy needs - that's why they are world leaders in alternative sources such as wind and solar energy. Importing oil from North Africa is a better bet than importing it from Russia at the moment.

Really? There is a scale of the level of dictatorships now? Spain has a severe imbalance in its economy. You are in Spain so you might not have have heard about it. Have a look here http://spaineconomy.blogspot.com/

So you are saying that infrastructure improvements such as new transport links don't make much of a difference to an economy?

Yes they are great. Not solving the immediate, serious, problems.

It's not a collective name, it's an abbreviation of their names, and when pronounced it sounds like "PIG", hence making it a derogatory term in this context (and also not very funny). So a derogatory term is being used against certain countries - hence it is xenophobic. It really ain't that hard to work out.

I suppose, give the deeply ingrained racism that seems to exist in Spanish society, that that is the conclusion they would come to. Try make a better acronym out of the letters, P I I G S, in English, indicting a poor economic outlook. IGips ? Sound like vomit. Gipsi, Pigsi.. any ofers?

The Spanish, would prefer to focus on the imaginary insult to their oh-so-special-country than discuss the serious problems they are in.

Xenophobia is the fear of a people who are different. I can't see how describing some economies as crap is xenophobic - an economy is not a person.

Edited by Peter Hun