House Price Crash Forum

We have TV's and DVD players for 'Barbie - The Irritating Movie' and Shrek and Finding Nemo etc.

But I refuse to have broadcast television in the house. No good for kids development. If it isn't there, it won't be missed and it won't destroy their educational and behavioural development.

Good plan?

Definately good plan.

How could I keep a tv for kids dvds but not have the option of watching tv?

Or does having a tv in your house mean you have to pay for licence whether or not you're tuned in.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

None of us watch TV, we're all so clever, let's all pat each others back and postulate on our moral superiority over those who do.

I bet none of you eat Mcdonalds and think that makes you super too.

OP got fed up of the fear, agitation, bull$hit and advertising, how about using your brain, taking what you see with a pinch of salt and ignoring the adverts?

In it's place is a folded blanket & cushions on the box it used to sit on - yet another place for the cats to sleep.

We got fed up with the b0llocks, fear, agitation, bull$hit and advertising, so it's bye bye TV, hello broadband and books.

I've never felt better - breaking old habits like this is just so refreshing. And to think I was considering spending ?600 on a new flat screen a few months back :lol:

ha funny, we've just done exactly the same after moving house. Well, it's still there, but only for occasional playstation action - no channels tuned in. Isn't it great! So nice and peaceful without it on and no more guilty feeling when I catch our daughter transfixed by it.

Def the way forward!

In it's place is a folded blanket & cushions on the box it used to sit on - yet another place for the cats to sleep.

We got fed up with the b0llocks, fear, agitation, bull$hit and advertising, so it's bye bye TV, hello broadband and books.

I've never felt better - breaking old habits like this is just so refreshing. And to think I was considering spending ?600 on a new flat screen a few months back :lol:

Good for you! It's difficult to do things like that.

I'm not giving mine up though: I only watch 1-2 programmes a week, but there's enough fun in Ashes to Ashes and Match of the Day to keep me in it!

Not buying a flat screen though - we got our "new" TV for free off Freecycle :lol:

You only have to have a license if it's set up to receive broadcast TV.

This is much easier to achieve now it's all gone digital. Dump the freeview box and you can still watch DVDs and videos.

Also, bear in mind that TVL have no legal powers of entry to your house and if they do turn up the best thing to do is slam the door in their face as they're not above faking evidence to get a "conviction".

Ok cool, do you know if you can link your monitor to your tv too, so you can watch iplayer etc through your tv screen?

I'm a bit dumb with technical stuff.

None of us watch TV, we're all so clever, let's all pat each others back and postulate on our moral superiority over those who do.

OP got fed up of the fear, agitation, bull$hit and advertising, how about using your brain, taking what you see with a pinch of salt and ignoring the adverts?

You can't ignore them.

They don't access your conscious mind, they are all designed to influence you subconsciously.

I've never felt better - breaking old habits like this is just so refreshing. And to think I was considering spending �600 on a new flat screen a few months back :lol:

I did the same with daily newspapers a while back and also vowed not to watch the news... now all I need to do is dotch the HPC habit and I am there.

Care to tell me what Lost, Heroes, shameless and ashes to ashes subconsciously influence me to do?

No clue, I haven't seen them.

I'd imagine they show a variety of odd or hyper realised social circumstances and map out how to behave so that when you find yourself in a similar situation you'll act the same way ather than act like an independant human being and think.

Lizard brain see, monkey brain do.

You can't ignore them.

They don't access your conscious mind, they are all designed to influence you subconsciously.

+1

I put Milkshake on for an hour in the morning (Channel 5). The kids adverts are awful. catchy tunes and persistent repetition, they get in your head and won't go away. It's brain rape!

I try and mute all adverts now.

Or you could realise that a little bit of TV, along with a little bit of most things will do them no harm. It would involve of course parental responsibilty to enforce.

I agree, some of the kids tv programs are lovely and I don't have a problem with mine watching them in moderation, it's the adverts I can't stand.

You only have to have a license if it's set up to receive broadcast TV.

This is much easier to achieve now it's all gone digital. Dump the freeview box and you can still watch DVDs and videos.

Also, bear in mind that TVL have no legal powers of entry to your house and if they do turn up the best thing to do is slam the door in their face as they're not above faking evidence to get a "conviction".

you need to recheck your facts - you need a tv license if you have a mobile phone capable of browsing the web or a broadband enabled pc - the laws were changed a few years ago to include these items to prepare for the change over to internet tv

Edited by Marc Beswick

Stopped paying my TV license about six years ago now, when I realised I never watched the damn thing anyway.

Wasn't a conscious "Lets throw the TV in the bin" decision, more a simple acknowledgment that TV is crap, why pay for it when you got broadband to surf on and amazon.co.uk to buy books.

I've never felt better - breaking old habits like this is just so refreshing. And to think I was considering spending �600 on a new flat screen a few months back :lol:

You may becme an Oxford academic.

Yes you can connect a TV to a computer monitor - you need a VGA cable which you can get at any Maplins/Currys etc

I think most TV in this country is bad, but like another poster said, try watching it in Spain or the US and it makes our TV seem like heaven.

I choose to watch select programmes and don't turn it on to just sit and 'veg' and channel hop. You have to take it with a pinch of salt and remember that it's just TV like films are 'just movies' - it's not always a refelction of reality.

After spending some time away from the UK in recent years, I have returned to find many ideas that have been pumped into the public over and over again until they've become 'the norm' for example 'your 5 a day', 'carbon footprint', 'binge drinking'. Im sick of hearing about your bloody 5 a day - like were all going to an early grave if we don't eat at least 5 portions of fruit and veg a day - my gran lived well into her 90s and I doubt she had her 5 a day! BBC peddled BS.

Ahhh so you`re the cleverist of us all..... :lol: