House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest redwine

Gold In France

Guest redwine

the last 6 months or so we have been getting lots of free ads for ACHAT D'OR buy gold

this weekend coming the 5 and 6 th of june you can sell at a local hotel

gold rings ,brackets,necklaces and even second hand gold teeth

not so long ago it was a "marché provencial" fine herbs and honey

is this going on everywhere in france ?

must be a sign of the times it reminds me of pawnbroker's !!

Yes. There have been a couple of gold shops set up in Antibes in the last 6 months. Nice is the same. Cannes as well.

And every free sheet paper plus Nice Matin carry adds every week for these places. Seems the last time the region saw so much interest in GOLD was in the 70s recession. Read into that what you will :unsure:

A friend at a local bank tells me they have had a large number of enquiries since Jan about clients wanting to buy Napoleons etc..........

Guest redwine
Yes. There have been a couple of gold shops set up in Antibes in the last 6 months. Nice is the same. Cannes as well.

And every free sheet paper plus Nice Matin carry adds every week for these places. Seems the last time the region saw so much interest in GOLD was in the 70s recession. Read into that what you will :unsure:

A friend at a local bank tells me they have had a large number of enquiries since Jan about clients wanting to buy Napoleons etc..........

today it was p*ssing down in the jura as usual

so i popped into the gold mine hotel nobody was there except a salesman

he told me that he goes around france buying anything in gold rings teeth etc

then he sends it to his employer in germany where they smelt it into gold bars

it is nothing more than a new "crisis" business

they make there money today by using fear of the future and insecurity especially from people from another generation

anyway i left as i had no second hand gold teeth to sell

Re. prices paid by these gold buyers: The local shop in Antibes is paying about half the market spot rate. ie. 50% of current value. That's a nice mark up in anyone's language ;)

As you say, people who are desperate for cash ain't going to grumble. I'd also reckon a large minority have no idea of the current market price of gold................... :rolleyes:

Guest redwine
Re. prices paid by these gold buyers: The local shop in Antibes is paying about half the market spot rate. ie. 50% of current value. That's a nice mark up in anyone's language ;)

As you say, people who are desperate for cash ain't going to grumble. I'd also reckon a large minority have no idea of the current market price of gold................... :rolleyes:

a 50% profit doesn't surprize me in france not only in gold but in just about anything eg food ,dvd's,electronic's etc

high profit margins are or seem today to be the" norm" here along with "price fixing" no competition is welcome

house prices here are blocked with a minium price of 200k then going upwards anything less is a dump or a problem house eg dampness,heating problems badly located etc

owners still expect a big "pv" or profit when they put there property on the market

after over 10 years of being told that they can make good tidy sum of money they refuse anything less

they all watch M6 "maison a vendre" even "stephane"the ea is having a hard time trying to make the sellers lower there prices :(