House Price Crash Forum
alw

Renting With A Dog - Tell Ll/ea Or Not

Am looking to rent a place, but one of the things holding me back is my dog. Lovely well behaved clean etc etc and goes to work with me every day. I was wondering between not telling the landlord/ estate agent and risking any (?) consequences or being up front and probably being told that I'm not welcome on a lot of properties.

Any experience/ideas out there?

cheers

Al

The way I think about it is that it's none of their business. Provided they get the flat/house back in the same condition they left it in then I don't see what the issue with a dog is.

The only time I think it might be acceptable for them to stipulate this is if the entire place is furnished by the LL, in which case I know pets can really mess up furniture, or if it's in a block that has a no pets rule (fair enough too as some residents might be allergic.)

Other than that it's your home and you can whoever you like in there, including man's best friend.

Guest skullingtonjoe
The way I think about it is that it's none of their business. Provided they get the flat/house back in the same condition they left it in then I don't see what the issue with a dog is.

The only time I think it might be acceptable for them to stipulate this is if the entire place is furnished by the LL, in which case I know pets can really mess up furniture, or if it's in a block that has a no pets rule (fair enough too as some residents might be allergic.)

Other than that it's your home and you can whoever you like in there, including man's best friend.

Right!

It`s a business deal - once you`ve paid your dosh, you should be able to have your pet there. What else are you supposed to do?

Too many ll/eas think they`re God!

Best Wishes to you and `Rover` :)

There's no need to mention you have a dog, unless the AST, advert, EA/LA or LL mentions this before you move in. Whilst I agree you should have the right to have a pet with you, deliberately deceiving the LL or EA/LA is not a good idea unless you want to find yourself having to move again after 6 months with them kicking up a stink over the deposit.

Most rental contracts I've signed have a clause about not having pets without prior agreement with the landlord, so you'll probably have to declare it before you sign. It's a bit harsh that many rental agreements specify no pets, as many people will be renting on a long-term basis and have no opportunity to have a pet unless they can afford to buy at some point in the future - just another example of how tenants don't really have a lot of rights these days.

Having said that, I would definitely be upfront about it before you view a property and when you register with a letting agency. Tell the landlord/letting agent that you have a dog. You could offer a dog reference to prove that your dog is well-behaved, hasn't damaged previous properties and that you look after and clean up after it, if they're worried about it. It will at least save you time looking at properties where you can't have your dog. You also won't have to hide all dog paraphenalia when the LL/agent comes to inspect the property!

You might find it's not a problem in more places than you think - our current landlords are quite happy to allow pets, although we don't have one ourselves. They require a larger deposit if you're bringing a pet (but that's always made me wonder what they might intend to take off the deposit for pet wear-and-tear at the end of tenancy, so be aware of that as a possible pitfall!). A previous landlord had no problems with me having a rabbit. Both these properties were offered unfurnished, and I think that does make a big difference.

If you are looking to rent a furnished property, you're more likely to have trouble finding somewhere than if you're renting unfurnished as the landlords will be worried about the pet damaging their furniture. You might want to consider renting unfurnished if you can afford to furnish a place yourself.

Best to be honest or you could be breaking your agreement and lose some of your deposit.

My agreement said I had to pay £500 to have the place de-flead once I move out. I refused to sign it unless it was removed, and the LA simply crossed it out for me without consulting the LL.

Edited by pie-eater

We told our landlord we had two cats. We had four. He never sees them all in at once so he just assumes it's the same two cats.

We had a nightmare finding a rental that would take pets at all. Nearly all were marked 'no pets - no negotiation', this is the case even more now with people renting out their own houses instead of selling at a reduced rate.

A dog reference is a very good idea, if previous LLs can support your claim that the dog won't destroy their property you have a much better chance of getting agreement from the LL. Agents are usually supportive of people with pets simply because not taking pets cuts out a large proportion of potential tenants. Unless it was absolutely stipulated 'no pets' on the advert, or with the agent, it is worth declaring the dog, with references. Speak to the agent and they will give you an indication of what the LLs feelings are on the subject and that will help you decide what to do.

I think it's best to be honest. You will be appreciated in the log run. If you are going to lie then don't rely on a long term contract because some LL's would just not renew if they found out you had a dog all along.

Approx 75% of our LL's will accept a well behaved dog, a smaller % unfortunately for cats as flea infestations take months to eradicate. Some landlords won't accept puppies at all! Some houses are more geared up to this than others with laminate floors etc.

I am an animal lover (with a dog and cats) and you must remember that a lot of LL's have pets too. The problem is not the pets but the owners. There are a number of tenants who think it's ok to leave a dog at home all day and of course it's not ok from both an animal welfare angle and a property destruction angle as only bored and unsupervised pets cause damage.

You would be most welcome at my agency not least because you take your dog to work and I really don't think you'll have a problem if you explain the situation.

Our tenancy agreement insists on an additional £100 pet bond (usually returned in full) and regular flea treatments which is not too much to ask.........is it?

Good luck to you and Fido.

Am looking to rent a place, but one of the things holding me back is my dog. Lovely well behaved clean etc etc and goes to work with me every day. I was wondering between not telling the landlord/ estate agent and risking any (?) consequences or being up front and probably being told that I'm not welcome on a lot of properties.

Any experience/ideas out there?

cheers

Al

Co habitation is often a good idea before marriage

on a point of law,is the contract term enforcable?

For the sake of balance,I think it's best to lie.My experience of LA's is that they will look out for themselves not the LL,if you're in there paying rent,they get their commision,if you're not,they don't.

Once you're in there,they will keep you there.If you're on the outside,they will keep you out.Lettingslady is nice,most of them aren't.

Yes it is absolutely enforceable if there IS any damage or flea infestation etc.

I think you've just had a bad experience.

I spend a lot of time with my dog (and by that I mean canine! - I see my husband sometimes too) but when he was a puppy last year he chewed the bottom of my patio doors in a very short time.

If you want to lie expect to be lied to...........as I always say behaviour breeds behaviour (where's bob to tell me I'm too moderate??)

the CAB is unequivocally unclear.

'You can keep pets as long as it is not specifically forbidden in the tenancy agreement and it does not cause a nuisance to neighbours. However, you should normally seek your landlord’s permission because, even if you have a legal right to keep pets, if your landlord does not approve, you may end up getting evicted.

Whether you can be evicted depends on the type of tenancy agreement you have. If you are threatened with eviction because you are keeping pets, you may be able to defend this even if it is in breach of the tenancy agreement but you will have to get rid of the pet. This does, however, depend on what kind of tenancy you have. For example, if the landlord shares the home with you, you will not be able to prevent the eviction, although you may be able to delay it.'

so quite clearly,if you get caught,line up a new pad(tell em you're leaving your mum and dads) and then hand a months notice in...................big deal.........................nothing here,move on.

'unequivocally unclear' :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry yes I did think you meant that.

Depends on the tenancy agreement I suppose and if it's a breach of said tenancy agreement but you and I both know that it will be a Section 21 that's served if it's a problem.

You see I'm different to you 'cos if I've been (as always) good to tenants and looking after their interests too I would just be pi**ed off if they lied to me. But you're right not much else to say on here - you either lie or you don't and suffer consequences or not as the case may be..........

I think you should ASK them what their rules are oin having a dog for that particular property. The worst case scenario is that they say no and you do it anyway then if they ask you just say you're watching the dog while so and so is on vacation.