House Price Crash Forum

Sending Round The Baliffs To Kick Down The Door

HOLA441
Can I just point out that if you actually ring the company or debt collecting agency involved (yes this takes a little effort), they are actually quite reasonable and that will most likely be the end of the matter. I've done this a couple of times.

Not having a dig at you, but for some of the posters on this site this is clearly an alien concept.

:lol:

In my experience you ring them, then they sell the debt to someone else, who then tries to collect it. If you forget to dial 141 before you ring them, then they take your number from caller display and add that to the file.

Got a call one day (number newly issued when we moved here) asking for the debtor, and when I asked where they had got the number they told me how it 'might have been' recorded on the file. I rang BT to double check it had never previously been on our line. Then I rang NatWest Card Services, and every single DCA that had contacted us, and threatened them all with being reported to the Information Commissioner for breaching the Data Protection Act by knowingly collecting and recording incorrect information.

The debt is over £9K, and whilst it does appear to have gone quiet, I'm expecting it to rear it's head again at some point.

HOLA442
:lol:

In my experience you ring them, then they sell the debt to someone else, who then tries to collect it. If you forget to dial 141 before you ring them, then they take your number from caller display and add that to the file.

Got a call one day (number newly issued when we moved here) asking for the debtor, and when I asked where they had got the number they told me how it 'might have been' recorded on the file. I rang BT to double check it had never previously been on our line. Then I rang NatWest Card Services, and every single DCA that had contacted us, and threatened them all with being reported to the Information Commissioner for breaching the Data Protection Act by knowingly collecting and recording incorrect information.

The debt is over £9K, and whilst it does appear to have gone quiet, I'm expecting it to rear it's head again at some point.

I once got a call from debt collectors about an allged debt of one of my sons who had moved out several years previously.

I told him that he was in breach of the Data Protection Act in discussing with me my son's affairs.

I never heard another word.

HOLA443
Can I just point out that if you actually ring the company or debt collecting agency involved (yes this takes a little effort), they are actually quite reasonable and that will most likely be the end of the matter. I've done this a couple of times.

Not having a dig at you, but for some of the posters on this site this is clearly an alien concept.

Technology moves fast these days, didn't realise we were getting posts from other planets.

HOLA444

Sounds like you have been dealing with first tier debt collectors...just wait till the debts get passed onto the nasty ones...