House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Bad News For Lawyers

it'll be a shambles - they will do wills and crap litigation and decent firms will have to bail them out and keep it on process and track. Did they learn nothing from the conveyancing bucket shops - pay peanuts, get feckwits.

you'd have to be insane to use them - or stupid enough to think they'd actually do a good job.

Just like Buy-to-let and the housing bubble, this is something that will be enabled by government legislation. But we'll soon forget and start blaming the supermarkets. Sure, they are culpable - their lobbyists have played a part - and their services will be substandard no doubt. But all this shite has ultimately been enabled by the 'Motherf****r of all Parliaments'.

Edited by gruffydd

I don't really see a problem with it. I've used solicitors and "conveyancing warehouses" they both seemed to do pretty much the same, and both seemed mediocre. Only the solicitors charged twice as much. Bog standard legal services are hyped by the legal profession to enable them to keep charging high fees. A bit of competition in form filling is not going to hurt anyone. Sure complex legal disputes still need to be carried out by fully trained lawyers, but many services carried out by lawyers are very straightforward.

It shouldn't affect conveyancing - lawyers typically charge fixed fees depending on a property price.

The one thing which surprises me about this crash is the number of estate agents still in work. They charge a % of the price (which is still massively inflated) and so even though sales have collapsed (at least in contrast to 2007 sales) they still have a modest income.

Dearie me, local solicitors typically earn around 25-30 k as it is. Wage deflation here we go. Soon we'll all be working for minimum wage. PS. Did anybody see Wage drop Britain last night on ITV?

If wages are falling, house prices can only be maintained by bubbleomics.

Labour acting in the interest of the big corporates YET AGAIN!

http://www.lawcareers.net/Information/News...ail.aspx?r=2220

Edited by gruffydd

If the legal services provided by the likes of Tesco are anything like the conveyancing services offered by the big legal warehouses, they will be worse than useless. By which I mean you would be better off instructing a mentally impaired ferret.

Sorry, I have very little sympathy. The lawyer classes were all for facilitating the outsourcing/commodatizing of other professions/careers due to the juicy fees involved.

Now that a branch of their profession is being similarly targeted, we are expected to have sympathy?

I don't really see a problem with it. I've used solicitors and "conveyancing warehouses" they both seemed to do pretty much the same, and both seemed mediocre. Only the solicitors charged twice as much. Bog standard legal services are hyped by the legal profession to enable them to keep charging high fees. A bit of competition in form filling is not going to hurt anyone. Sure complex legal disputes still need to be carried out by fully trained lawyers, but many services carried out by lawyers are very straightforward.

Edited by BalancedBear

+1

gruffydd

Dearie me, local solicitors typically earn around 25-30 k as it is.

Really? I had no idea it was that low. Is that for newly qualified employees and would the partners do better? I only ask because my ex-wife's current husband is a solicitor in a small town and claims to pull in well over £100k p.a.

It shouldn't affect conveyancing - lawyers typically charge fixed fees depending on a property price.

The one thing which surprises me about this crash is the number of estate agents still in work. They charge a % of the price (which is still massively inflated) and so even though sales have collapsed (at least in contrast to 2007 sales) they still have a modest income.

Lawyers do charge a fixed fee, but the conveyancing warehouses charge much lower fixed fees, and I'm sure Tesco probably would too.

I do agree about estate agents, a surprising number still seem in business.

And that's the problem - the issue is not the work done, it's the making sure the work done is sufficient - being able to spot the issues when they arise - 95% of the time, your conveyancing can be done by a monkey - however, the other 5% you need someone good to protect your interests in the biggest investment and millstone people mostly ever make. And the retards don't spot the problems or mess it up.

I have been entitled to free 'conveyancing' as a perk of the job - I (and no solicitor I know who is entitled to it) never use it - I always pay a man who actually CAN do the job and is not just a monkey in a call centre......

If you think conveyancing is always form filling, you go ahead, but there's also a reason 90% plus of the matters before the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal (or whatever it's called this week) relate to conveyancing.....

if you pay sod all, you get crap - for a 25 year debt and most of your money, saving a few hundred quid by taking a risk is ridiculous - would you get Kwikfit to do a service on your Lamborghini ?

Lawyers do charge a fixed fee, but the conveyancing warehouses charge much lower fixed fees, and I'm sure Tesco probably would too.

I do agree about estate agents, a surprising number still seem in business.

I wonder if I could get a Tesco value transaction?

Perhaps when they have sorted their finest, standard and value 'legals' package, they might want to start up a value estate agency - just think of the punters - they could advertise houses between food stuffs etc etc........

gruffydd

Really? I had no idea it was that low. Is that for newly qualified employees and would the partners do better? I only ask because my ex-wife's current husband is a solicitor in a small town and claims to pull in well over £100k p.a.

I think it's 28-32k for typical local solicitors.

The median yearly salary for male solicitors is £60,000 (includes corporate, etc.). Partners would usually earn much more than the average.

Edited by gruffydd

And that's the problem - the issue is not the work done, it's the making sure the work done is sufficient - being able to spot the issues when they arise - 95% of the time, your conveyancing can be done by a monkey - however, the other 5% you need someone good to protect your interests in the biggest investment and millstone people mostly ever make. And the retards don't spot the problems or mess it up.

I have been entitled to free 'conveyancing' as a perk of the job - I (and no solicitor I know who is entitled to it) never use it - I always pay a man who actually CAN do the job and is not just a monkey in a call centre......

If you think conveyancing is always form filling, you go ahead, but there's also a reason 90% plus of the matters before the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal (or whatever it's called this week) relate to conveyancing.....

if you pay sod all, you get crap - for a 25 year debt and most of your money, saving a few hundred quid by taking a risk is ridiculous - would you get Kwikfit to do a service on your Lamborghini ?

I'm sure they would be required to have indemnity insurance to cover those 5% of times...

If I could afford one, I could afford a Lamborghini service too; though if Kwikfit did the same job and cost a third of the price, probably!

I think it's 28-32k for typical local solicitors.

The median yearly salary for male solicitors is £60,000 (includes corporate, etc.). Partners would usually earn much more than the average.

up until the mid to late 1980s local solicitors could earn a fortune; more than doctors and dentists anyway

I've forgotten why it changed although it may have been due to more competition in conveyancing

now there's an absolute chasm between lcoal solicitors and commercial ones who earn in the hundreds of thousands (although they have to work bloody hard on the way up)

it'll be a shambles - they will do wills and crap litigation and decent firms will have to bail them out and keep it on process and track. Did they learn nothing from the conveyancing bucket shops - pay peanuts, get feckwits.

you'd have to be insane to use them - or stupid enough to think they'd actually do a good job.

Quite. When I bought my current house (back when I had many fewer grey hairs and was less cynical than now), I stupidly used one of these, the one based in Chelmsford whose name is an anagram of MBN (not hard to identify who). On the night before the scheduled move I was sitting in my parents kitchen at about 5.30 pm, when there was the sound of something hitting the doormat..... They had posted the uncompleted legal documents through my parents door and run away.

Quite. When I bought my current house (back when I had many fewer grey hairs and was less cynical than now), I stupidly used one of these, the one based in Chelmsford whose name is an anagram of MBN (not hard to identify who). On the night before the scheduled move I was sitting in my parents kitchen at about 5.30 pm, when there was the sound of something hitting the doormat..... They had posted the uncompleted legal documents through my parents door and run away.

Well there are good and bad in any profession, but I find this story hard to believe, as it should have become obvious way before the move date that something was not right. However assuming it is a true story, it still does not mean that allowing Tesco or any other company to provide legal services will mean the services will be bad. People should be able to choose. If you want to pay top money for a Solicitor then do so, but if you don't then other companies should be allowed to compete.

And I bet the amount charged probably has little bearing over the likelihood of a conveyancing matter appearing before the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal. I would guess there are just as many conveyancing cases from expensive solicitors there as from "cheap" ones.

The point is that just because you pay more for a legal service, does not mean the quality of work will be any better, just as it is in many other professions.

It comes down to individuals. I would take my Audi to an independent chap I have known for years rather than a main Dealer for any major work if it needed it. He also only charges a quarter of the main Dealer, but I would trust his work more than a main dealer's any day.

Edited by BalancedBear

Guest sillybear2

Wow, another set of people have just learned they are not a class apart and will have to eat beans with the rest of us.

"Legal services by supermarkets is as ridiculous as lawyers selling beans".

Yeah, because they'd cost £150 per tin and you'd have to sign a 10 page agreement before opening them.

This reminds me of the time we used 'Your Move's conveyancing. It was a disaster. The only enjoyable part of it was that I could make the solicitor stutter by giving him a hard time on the phone. Our local solicitors that we've used since are on the opposite and correct end of the professionalism scale and can be visited in person if required. Worth the money.