• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Pray tell, how does this compare with the previous month & what's the source?

40,000 last month

43,000 this month

Hmm, rate slowing here a little. You need about 60,000 at the mo to stabalise prices. With peak buying season coming to an end, you bulls are running out of time. Was expecting a fair bit more than that (closer to 50,000, especially as, like you bulls keep saying, we're in a recovery. :rolleyes:

HOLA445
HOLA446
Actually, it was 55,000. But that number keeps falling. We'll see what it is when the graph is updated. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the two lines cross at 48,000 or so. I suppose, theoretically, the graph could also be prone to a margin of error. As prices are now rising, the number could be 42,000. :lol:

As for approvals, I suspect those may well increase markedly over the next few months after the recent media coverage of prices rising. We'll see.

er... there is a lag between approvals and prices... Approvals LEAD prices by 3 to 6 months, prices cant (and aren't) rising until a couple of months after they breach the neutral approvals line. IMHO stick to facts not straws and you might get some respect. Yes I agree with the principle of your post, but you spin faster than tony blair (or an estate agent)!

Edited by moosetea

HOLA447
It keeps falling because house prices are falling. In the same paragraph you say house prices are rising, which would send the required mortgage approval rate up. So which is it? Are house prices falling or rising?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I do think this is a blip, of sorts. But I also think we are so close to the bottom, that whilst we will see further falls, they may well be within the margin of normal seasonal movements before a pronounced recovery early next year.

And I note you chose to ignore this part...... I suppose, theoretically, the graph could also be prone to a margin of error. As prices are now rising, the number could be 42,000.

Edited by HAMISH_MCTAVISH

HOLA448
I can't get my head around why this number of approvals for price stabilisation keeps falling, and is now 55k.

Other graphs on that site suggest 0% HPI YoY at around the 70-80k mark, based on historical data. So why is it now 55k, and why will this keep falling ?

Can some matchs genius help me out here ?

Spline explains the maths here (Kalman estimator?)

http://www.houseprices.uk.net/articles/hou...rice_predictor/

and includes a forward prediction of prices..

khp_apr2009.png

falls stop around spring 2010, no real recovery/flat price best buying time Late 2010 before spring 2011?

Edited by moosetea

HOLA449

Why do bulls feel the need to talk up mortgage approval rates, and bears feel the need to talk them down?

An increase in mortgage approvals suggests that prospective buyers are making offers, sellers are accepting them, and lenders are willing to fund the resulting purchases. That supports the idea that the stand-off is coming to an end, but it says nothing about the crash being over.

It may be that mortgage approvals are rising because buyers have capitulated.

HOLA4410
Why do bulls feel the need to talk up mortgage approval rates, and bears feel the need to talk them down?

An increase in mortgage approvals suggests that prospective buyers are making offers, sellers are accepting them, and lenders are willing to fund the resulting purchases. That supports the idea that the stand-off is coming to an end, but it says nothing about the crash being over.

It may be that mortgage approvals are rising because buyers have capitulated.

they like winding people up...ignore them, do not feed them.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Why do Bulls not understand that lenders are approving more because prices are lower? Which bit of this can't they understand? Increased volume on lower prices.

To reiterate just how simple it is:

Person with £40k salary applies for loan for £240k to buy £280k house. £40k deposit, 6 times salary. Lender says no.

Person with £40k salary applies for loan for £180k to buy same house for £220k. £40k deposit, 4.5 times salary. Lender says yes.

Hence the lower price has led to a request for a lower loan amount, resulting in a higher loan to value, resulting in an approval.

IT ISN'T DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND!!!!

Anyway, the good news for the Bulls is that if you believe Spline's charts then after this month's update the chart should show that the number of approvals required for price stability has been reached.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Mortgage approvals up to 42,000, 3rd monthly rise in a row.

My favourite factiod comes from California. Prices in 2008 were 37% lower than they were in 2007 yet the total dollar value of sales in 2008 was higher than it was in 2007. Prices in California in 2009 are still falling from 2008 levels despite the rising numbers of transactions.

HOLA4417

That's pretty much it now isn't it Hamish?

You see that little blip in the drop off the cliff??

That was your spring bounce combined with the bull trap that was!!

One of which you still have to wait another year for

The other isn't happening again - it was a one-off!

Edited by sbn

HOLA4418
Pray tell, how does this compare with the previous month & what's the source?

It is the Bank of England Mortage Approvals

http://uk.reuters.com/article/domesticNews...E5511SD20090602

data is available from BOE Website, but they dont make it easy as it needs to be spliced together

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/statistics/li/2009.htm

Ive spliced the data back to 2009 below and attached it

Or you can get it from splines excellent website http://www.houseprices.uk.net/articles/pro...y_transactions/

mapprov_550x350_2000-2009_100.png

@OP : Why not post all the hard facts and links? Rather than making other posters do all the hard work?

BOOTNOTE : We need about 55k approvals a month to stop the declines, IMHO we will achieve this in 3 to 4 months (or perhaps longer as we see a decline in interest after the spring), with this taking 6 months to feed through to the property sales value. (This means we have at least 9 more months of falls. IMHO flat market/slow falls/higher general inflation? next spring.

BOE_Approvals.jpg

post-552-1243929107_thumb.jpg

Edited by moosetea

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
40,000 last month

43,000 this month

Hmm, rate slowing here a little. You need about 60,000 at the mo to stabalise prices. With peak buying season coming to an end, you bulls are running out of time. Was expecting a fair bit more than that (closer to 50,000, especially as, like you bulls keep saying, we're in a recovery. :rolleyes:

They are seasonally adjusted.

Maybe they were 50k ~ but the SA pegged them back. :)

HOLA4421

approvals are slightly up but looking at the figures properly the average sale price is somewhere around £115k which means that prices are still falling.

I think that as long as prices continue to fall then so long as mortgages are available then there will be an increase in buyers believing they are getting a good deal. Although such a marginal increase of approvals does highlight that the majority are not believing it and there are fewer suckers left than required.

HOLA4422
You need about 60,000 at the mo to stabalise prices.

Actually, it was 55,000. But that number keeps falling. We'll see what it is when the graph is updated. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the two lines cross at 48,000 or so. I suppose, theoretically, the graph could also be prone to a margin of error. As prices are now rising, the number could be 42,000. :lol:

As for approvals, I suspect those may well increase markedly over the next few months after the recent media coverage of prices rising. We'll see.

HOLA4423
They are seasonally adjusted.

Maybe they were 50k ~ but the SA pegged them back. :)

Arguing over seasonal adjustment again. The fact they're seasonally adjusted down just confirms that this so called 'recovery' is non existent as it doesn't even live up to previous Spring bounces. Admit it, you was expected much more than this this month. Wonder what the next set of home sales stats will tell us. ;)

HOLA4424

It keeps falling because house prices are falling. In the same paragraph you say house prices are rising, which would send the required mortgage approval rate up. So which is it? Are house prices falling or rising?

HOLA4425

I can't get my head around why this number of approvals for price stabilisation keeps falling, and is now 55k.

Other graphs on that site suggest 0% HPI YoY at around the 70-80k mark, based on historical data. So why is it now 55k, and why will this keep falling ?

Can some matchs genius help me out here ?