House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Victor_Broom

Tonight: Pay Drop Britain

How do you know that we won't?

if you had to choose, which way would YOU go Noel ?

I know which I AM going & HAVE been for the last 2 years. I can't see why large inflation pay rises would ever be on the cards during this depression.

All, please do not include the top 2% of tax payers in this discussion. Obviously the financial elite & top public sector people will ALWAYS be earning more. It's the LAW.

How do you know that we won't?

People are happy just to keep a job and are taking wage cuts to do so. They are increasing saving same as each Recession and consumer demand has collapsed.

Even forcing inflation on food and day to day items isn't going to help the UK, QE has no targets or timescale, the pound is 20% down up from 25% just enough to

take off the inflation boost it gave.

Where does wage inflation come from unless the Public Sector in place of a public works project, are given extra money and told not to save it (or made afraid of inflation).

Japan, Switzerland in the last 48 hours.

People are happy just to keep a job and are taking wage cuts to do so. They are increasing saving same as each Recession and consumer demand has collapsed.

Even forcing inflation on food and day to day items isn't going to help the UK, QE has no targets or timescale, the pound is 20% down up from 25% just enough to

take off the inflation boost it gave.

Where does wage inflation come from unless the Public Sector in place of a public works project, are given extra money and told not to save it (or made afraid of inflation).

Japan, Switzerland in the last 48 hours.

exactly, they are just happy to be IN a job at the moment.

They are up top their eye balls in debt and are sh1t scared.

They will end up chasing the wages down just like the housing market is doing right now. Just look at all the car manufacturers.

They start of with the same rhetoric every time. The staff have agreed to take a pay cut of 5% to save redundancies.

3 months later, they have redundancies.

6 months later they will have some more redundancies

just wait a few months & see what happens with Honda et al. ;)

It's all so predictable. I mean what will turn the market around in the next 3-6 months to justify the same head count at ANY company ??

consumer demand will dive EVERY month, therefore leading to more redundancies.

people are so stupid it's unbelievable. I mean the government & all institutions have lied their way to the top, they will do so ALL the way back down.

you obviously don't understand what a hyper-inflation is.

It could just be the way I'm reading your posts these days, but it seems to be a case of "hyperinflation is the answer... now what's the question?"

Dogma. Never found it attractive.

It could just be the way I'm reading your posts these days, but it seems to be a case of "hyperinflation is the answer... now what's the question?"

Listen I have a bit of time this morning. If you want me to explain what's happening & going to happen on the economic & financial front, let me know. :D

Banks are expecting serious inflation.

I have a significant amount of savings in a 1 yr fixed bond with abbey at 7% which matures at the end of this month. They called me up to see if they organise something competitive and said they would be offering me another bond at around 6 or 7% for another 12 months but i cant add to it or take any out of it. Santander are either seriously lacking in funds or are seriously expecting some high interest rates and inflation

Listen I have a bit of time this morning. If you want me to explain what's happening & going to happen on the economic & financial front, let me know. :D

please enlighten us proles...

I have a significant amount of savings in a 1 yr fixed bond with abbey at 7% which matures at the end of this month. They called me up to see if they organise something competitive and said they would be offering me another bond at around 6 or 7% for another 12 months but i cant add to it or take any out of it. Santander are either seriously lacking in funds or are seriously expecting some high interest rates and inflation

imo it's both options. They are skint & are expecting high IR's & high inflation.

I never liked that santander deal. Spain is bankrupt.

They will close loads of the UK branches make thousands redundant then try to look like they have rebalanced the books. Then about a month or so later they will have a crisis imo.

I give them a few months before the shtf.

Time to not only stop the immigrants coming in but purge all the ilegal one out of the country.

Simple supply and demand whwn it comes to wages

the risk free market rate for money is the .61% that the current 1 year gilt will pay you , any amount more than that is the insurance premium you are getting for the risk of not getting your money back, you can give your money to santander for another year but its a nice fat risk you are taking ,

Never heard of using Gilts as proxy for risk free rate before.

Edited by Noel

Santander you say? I suspect they are swans: on the surface they are gliding across calm waters...below the surface they are paddling like f*&^. No one would be offering you a 7% bond these days unless they were desperate to keep your cash.

Edited to add: I was having a conversation with a well informed Spanish friend of mine late last year and, given what he knew Santander had been involved in, he couldn't see why they were still smelling like roses and his prediction was that something would come up before the end of 2008. It hasn't happened yet, which has left both of us puzzled.

Edited by D'oh

Santander you say? I suspect they are swans: on the surface they are gliding acros calm waters...below the surface they are paddling like f*&^. No one would be offering you a 7% bond these days unless they were desperate to keep your cash.

the risk free market rate for money is the .61% that the current 1 year gilt will pay you , any amount more than that is the insurance premium you are getting for the risk of not getting your money back, you can give your money to santander for another year but its a nice fat risk you are taking ,

Santander you say? I suspect they are swans: on the surface they are gliding acros calm waters...below the surface they are paddling like f*&^. No one would be offering you a 7% bond these days unless they were desperate to keep your cash.

Thats what the guy on the phone said yesterday, however i'll probably go in to do the paperwork and discover the deal has changed....theres a MPC meeting before im going in...