House Price Crash Forum
Sushiman

Getting Out Of A 12 Month Rental Agreement Early?

Quick question: me and my wife recently moved back to the UK from abroad where we were living for over 5 years. We were looking for quite a few months for a suitable flat to live in here and eventually found a place that matched our price vs quality expectations and it ticked most of our other boxes. We sacrificed on a garden and also on a 3rd bedroom, wanting to take somewhere nice to enable us to get settled back into life here in the UK. However, after we moved in, we had the rest of our things delivered from abroad and we also took on a pet. Basically we grossly underestimated the volume of our stuff and the space that would be suitable for us to live in. When we were abroad, we had a 4 bedroom apartment for close to the same price that we are paying now for a 2 bed flat!

Anyway, we recently came to the conclusion that the place is really too small for us in practice and would really need to look at getting something bigger asap. Only problem is that we signed a 12 month rental agreement due to expire in March 2010... Is there any way that we can get out of this early? Or can we negotiate with the lettings company/landlord in any way? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Quick question: me and my wife recently moved back to the UK from abroad where we were living for over 5 years. We were looking for quite a few months for a suitable flat to live in here and eventually found a place that matched our price vs quality expectations and it ticked most of our other boxes. We sacrificed on a garden and also on a 3rd bedroom, wanting to take somewhere nice to enable us to get settled back into life here in the UK. However, after we moved in, we had the rest of our things delivered from abroad and we also took on a pet. Basically we grossly underestimated the volume of our stuff and the space that would be suitable for us to live in. When we were abroad, we had a 4 bedroom apartment for close to the same price that we are paying now for a 2 bed flat!

Anyway, we recently came to the conclusion that the place is really too small for us in practice and would really need to look at getting something bigger asap. Only problem is that we signed a 12 month rental agreement due to expire in March 2010... Is there any way that we can get out of this early? Or can we negotiate with the lettings company/landlord in any way? Any advice would be much appreciated!

You can negotiate, but it's up to them what they will accept.

Can't you just put some of your stuff into storage for the period?

tim

What exactly does your contract say..normally you can give notice at the end of the first 6 month..with 2 month notice..so you would give notice after the first 4 month..

Otherwise i your contract binds you really 12 month in..you can put your stuff in storage.

Unfortunately we did not realise you could add a 6 month break clause... :(

Could we ask the lettings agency/landlord to look for new tenants and we then move out as and when they find something suitable?

What exactly does your contract say..normally you can give notice at the end of the first 6 month..with 2 month notice..so you would give notice after the first 4 month..

Otherwise i your contract binds you really 12 month in..you can put your stuff in storage.

If you approach the LL you may find that they will agree to let you go if you pay for their costs i.e. the letting agent may need paying to advertise, draw up a new contract etc.

Some people try to find new tenants themselves by putting notices up locally etc.