House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Film Remakes

Hollywood, now bereft of any new ideas on making new, original films, have now decided to turn on already excellent films, such as:

Flight Of The Navigator

Robocop

Karate Kid

Short Circuit

DamBusters

Robocop might be the only good one there; Darren Aronofsky is apparently going to direct it. If anyone's seen Pi, then I suspect its going to be slightly strange, but you know that all these films are going to be dripping in CGI. There's also rumours that they want to remake Alien as well.

Guest มร หล&#3
Hollywood, now bereft of any new ideas on making new, original films, have now decided to turn on already excellent films, such as:

Flight Of The Navigator

Robocop

Karate Kid

Short Circuit

DamBusters

Robocop might be the only good one there; Darren Aronofsky is apparently going to direct it. If anyone's seen Pi, then I suspect its going to be slightly strange, but you know that all these films are going to be dripping in CGI. There's also rumours that they want to remake Alien as well.

Flight if the Navigator, great kids film.

Dam Busters. It would be sacrilege.

Dam Busters. It would be sacrilege.

Apparently, for the original they had to change Guy's dog's name to "Trigger" for the US market. Can't see a re-make being any more historically accurate.

Guest anorthosite
Apparently, for the original they had to change Guy's dog's name to "Trigger" for the US market. Can't see a re-make being any more historically accurate.

The original isn't very accurate either - the bomb was still classified when they made it, there's barely a mention of the Sorpe dam and the actual raid itself has aged badly. I'd love to see a modern, CGI filled remake. I've heard Peter Jackson is producing it, so its going to be more of a New Zealand production than an American production, which bodes well.

They should remake plan 9 from outer space.

Is that the one where a lead actor died half way through, and they replaced him with a guy six inches taller? or is it the one with the hub caps on fishing line sprayed with burning lighter fluid to replicate the crashing ufo?

Guest Skinty
Is that the one where a lead actor died half way through, and they replaced him with a guy six inches taller? or is it the one with the hub caps on fishing line sprayed with burning lighter fluid to replicate the crashing ufo?

That's the one. I rented it on DVD once. It really is as bad as it's reputation. You could give some incompetent 12 years olds a camcorder and nothing else to do their own version and that's the kind of quality that you are looking at. I knew at the beginning that it was going to be bad when a man walked off camera in front of a car in order to kill himself and you could still see his shadow on screen.

Guest มร หล&#3

The Bastards! :angry:

Guest anorthosite
The Bastards! :angry:

Although they still use it as one of the code words, so its still in the US version!

I've heard that Peter Jackson has said they're working out how to deal with that issue, saying they're damned if they do & damned if they don't. I don't care to be honest, I just want the raid to be depicted more accurately than last time.

Although they still use it as one of the code words, so its still in the US version!

I've heard that Peter Jackson has said they're working out how to deal with that issue, saying they're damned if they do & damned if they don't. I don't care to be honest, I just want the raid to be depicted more accurately than last time.

I just hope its not anything like U571 - otherwise you'll have Jon Bon Jovi inventing the bouncing bomb & then flying the suicude mission as well..

Guest anorthosite
I just hope its not anything like U571 - otherwise you'll have Jon Bon Jovi inventing the bouncing bomb & then flying the suicude mission as well..

Nope, apparently Stephen Fry is writing the script. And check out this for accuracy:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/516109

Flight Of The Navigator

Robocop

Karate Kid

Short Circuit

DamBusters

Shame. 80s films like Robocop (and terminator) had a gritty feel they dont seem to be able to recreate nowadays.

The original isn't very accurate either - the bomb was still classified when they made it, there's barely a mention of the Sorpe dam and the actual raid itself has aged badly. I'd love to see a modern, CGI filled remake. I've heard Peter Jackson is producing it, so its going to be more of a New Zealand production than an American production, which bodes well.

You mean a version with some decent graphics when the bomb hits the dam :P

Great film but I think I could do better on that effect with a box of matches and an off the shelf Apple Mac running a 3 year old version of bundled i-movie.

Probably cutting edge effects in its time, just needs the blades re sharpened for this century.

Guest anorthosite
You mean a version with some decent graphics when the bomb hits the dam :P

Great film but I think I could do better on that effect with a box of matches and an off the shelf Apple Mac running a 3 year old version of bundled i-movie.

Probably cutting edge effects in its time, just needs the blades re sharpened for this century.

Its not just the special effects. Although its a great film, it doesn't really tell the story very well. The Sorpe dam isn't mentioned, the depiction of Gibson is wildly wrong, the bomb itself is depicted as a sphere instead of a cylinder, the list is endless!

I look forward to a new film, especially one with a script by Stephen Fry with David Frost overseeing it (he holds the rights to the old film, and the music).

Guest anorthosite
There is no need to remake the original Dambusters. They should simply make a new film about the raid and call it something else.

Why? Both will be based on the same book.