House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spline

House Prices On Your Iphone

I’ve been playing around with a fancy new iPhone 3G and couldn't resist the temptation to make house price graphs, predictors, approvals, etc., available while on the move. I’ve put up an experimental iPhone specific min-site at

http://www.houseprices.uk.net/iphone

but it's best viewed with a real iPhone, obviously. :)

Apart from delivering a very necessary daily fix of bear food while on the move, it could prove handy when talking to colleagues, persuading reluctant EAs, or in general house price chat down the pub.

Screenshots

2hh3xci.png

2lxtnhx.png

and when auto-rotated to lanscape

2h4avyo.png

16blikl.png

2eyvwxu.png

Top Gear magazine price list section remarks that the BMW7 Series control system iDrive is better thought of as iDistract then iCrash.

Edited by Dave Spart

I'll bump this once today for the Monday/Weekday visitors. It's really a sort of experiment to see whether integrating mobile and desktop access to housing market data is a useful thing and whether it might have any sort of traction.

Basic idea is that you can carry the indices and graphs, house price preditor and forward prices, BoE approvals and HMRC transactions, and DrBUbb's house builders index around in your pocket. :)

Edited by spline

Hi Tom, good point - added an 'updated on' date to items in the main menu. :)

Edited by spline

Thanks good work, it also kind of works on an nokia 5800 (nokias answer to the iphone). But the images are slightly scaled on the more sensible sized handset.

The 5800 screen size is:

640 x 35

Can the images resize be based on the device capabilities?

Edited by moosetea

About the net and phones in general, does anyone use this much? I have unlimited use of browsing, and it's not too bad for catching up on news headlines from sites likes the BBC mobile version, but things like HPC are pretty much unusable. Is there a phone friendly version? Also seems to take a long time for pages to appear. Is this normal? The phone is a Samsung Tocco Ultra, and if I had paid for it, would be over £300. For that sort of money, I would expect to actually be able to use the internet.

About the net and phones in general, does anyone use this much? I have unlimited use of browsing, and it's not too bad for catching up on news headlines from sites likes the BBC mobile version, but things like HPC are pretty much unusable. Is there a phone friendly version? Also seems to take a long time for pages to appear. Is this normal? The phone is a Samsung Tocco Ultra, and if I had paid for it, would be over £300. For that sort of money, I would expect to actually be able to use the internet.

HPC is great for viewing on the nokia 5800, posting is a pain, I guess it depends how fast the CPU is and how well the web browser and phone is coded... Would love an iphone/touchphone friendly version of HPC (the current lofi version of HPC is unusable)

Edited by moosetea

Thanks for the feedback Bobajobjob and moosetea.

On the resolution issues for Nokia, I’ve bumped the rightmove images up to 640x350 as a test – they should rescale down on smaller devices so still work on the iPhone. Moosetea, soes this look any better on the Nokia?

Sadman, this crap is free to the user. :D

Uptherams, I think the net is changing with the very fast growth in mobile devices, but so far the web experience has been very poor. The iphone has about 45% of mobile web activity, but the experience is still not too good – hence the rise of the web-app style of usage (either coded apps, or app-style websites to complement a traditional site).

Edited by spline

The iphone has about 45% of mobile web activity, but the experience is still not too good – hence the rise of the web-app style of usage (either coded apps, or app-style websites to complement a traditional site).

Thanks Spline. Didn't understand a word of it, but thanks anyway :lol:

How surprising. A lot of people on a site moaning about over-priced crap and our consumer culture have iPhones - probably top of the list if you asked for an example :lol:

I have to admit I'm guilty as well.

Ok , Forget my earlier comment about inputting !! Bad day. Had a look at the site, and it looks great, and came through fast too.

How surprising. A lot of people on a site moaning about over-priced crap and our consumer culture have iPhones - probably top of the list if you asked for an example :lol:

I have to admit I'm guilty as well.

Ha ha, I think it’s probably fine as long as you didn’t MEW to get it. :D

Edit: I've upped the image size on the righmove graphs to test if it works better on moosetea's Nokia without messing up teh iPhone.

Edited by spline