House Price Crash Forum

Pr Hell - Business Collapses, Sector In Crisis.

HOLA441

Just been speaking to two agency boss pals down in London. Business has fallen over 25% for one and around 1/3 for the other. Advertising was hit first, but now PR is is meltdown - despite predictions that the PR industry would 'ride out' the recession last year.

The agency sector offers good salaries. More bad news for London and the SE.

HOLA442
Just been speaking to two agency boss pals down in London. Business has fallen over 25% for one and around 1/3 for the other. Advertising was hit first, but now PR is is meltdown - despite predictions that the PR industry would 'ride out' the recession last year.

"PR" is just organized BULLSH1TING... and people are FED UP with it....

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I agree ... but our whole economic system has been based on Bullsh1t ... which is why we're all washed up.

On this subject, there's a little book called d Fantasy Island that I read a while ago; I'm sure many here have read it. Chapter 4 is great. Here's a quote:

"The Germans may have the engineers, the Japanese may know about how to organise a production line, but the Brits have the barristers, they have the journalists, they have the management consultants and the men and women who think that making up jingles and slogans in order to flog Pot Noodles and similar products is a serious job."

"The four iconic jobs in 21st century Britain, according to a think tank called the Work Foundation, were not scientists, engineers, teachers and nurses, but hairdressers, celebrities, management consultants and managers...... But, when you get down to it, this is a country that tries to make its living from talk, talk and more talk.... the fact is that bullsh1t is what we do and... we are mightily good at it."

Sadly ... it's all true.

HOLA446
HOLA447

You have to wonder just how many businesses were creatures of the boom itself- and will not survive in the new ecosystem of the bust- not only have people been suckered into buying overpriced houses, a lot of people have also been suckered into setting up unsustainable buisnesses that could only ever suceed in an enviroment of easy credit spending.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
I agree ... but our whole economic system has been based on Bullsh1t ... which is why we're all washed up.

On this subject, there's a little book called d Fantasy Island that I read a while ago; I'm sure many here have read it. Chapter 4 is great. Here's a quote:

Sadly ... it's all true.

I think the title of the book should have been " The Devils Island"

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I'm an engineer, have been for over 25 years, graduate (BSc Hons) professionally recognized (CEng) level.

Where ever I have worked, including my current post, I have to suffer Sales, Marketing, Project, Buisiness Development....sometimes preceded by Senior, all with the title Manager/Coordinator/Executive. None of them can actually MAKE ANYTHING. They are all experts in corporate speak and organizing others. We have a 22 yr old with a degree in Management!?! How do you get someone that age with a degree in that?

Now I realise that we need these roles, but surely not in the numbers we have them. The UK needs to realise that being a professional 'windbag' is no longer a viable career.

In the words of the late Fred Dibnah: "Britain has become a nation of con men, selling double glazing to each other"

HOLA4413

Some might be, but having worked in the high tech industry and used some PR agencies in the past, I can say there is a world of difference between the good and the bad. A good one will really help you sell your product, they know the editors of the trade press, they know how to manage publicity, they know how to avoid having the techie folks say something stupid, they manage the produict launches, in short they save you a load of hassle so you can concentrate on what you're good at.

For those that believe 'a good product will sell itself', well so did I many years ago, but it simply isn't true.

HOLA4414
Some might be, but having worked in the high tech industry and used some PR agencies in the past, I can say there is a world of difference between the good and the bad. A good one will really help you sell your product, they know the editors of the trade press, they know how to manage publicity, they know how to avoid having the techie folks say something stupid, they manage the produict launches, in short they save you a load of hassle so you can concentrate on what you're good at.

For those that believe 'a good product will sell itself', well so did I many years ago, but it simply isn't true.

This is a fair point tbh. Trouble for humanity always is, the liars and cheats ALWAYS jump on a good bandwagon - and ruin it all for everyone. Rotten apples in the barrel... and all that stuff...........

HOLA4415
This is a fair point tbh. Trouble for humanity always is, the liars and cheats ALWAYS jump on a good bandwagon - and ruin it all for everyone. Rotten apples in the barrel... and all that stuff...........

Well yes, but that happens in any activity.

I'm more concerned about professions that become a closed shop with restrictive entry practises that prevent real competition. For example anything legal, and now ones like electricians (Part P legislation) and other trades where a VI body has successfully lobbied for legislation to prevent just anyome to compete.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

If Max Clifford goes bankrupt I will not shed any tears!

HOLA4418

we need PR to keep the whole house of cards out of public view.

I mean, take the NHS, 1 doc, 2 nurses and 4 managers, and 4 administrators, 4 inhouse cleaners and car park attendants, 1 board member and an independent overseer.

HOLA4419

You do get the amusement in that statement ? :lol:

HOLA4420
I'm an engineer, have been for over 25 years, graduate (BSc Hons) professionally recognized (CEng) level.

Where ever I have worked, including my current post, I have to suffer Sales, Marketing, Project, Buisiness Development....sometimes preceded by Senior, all with the title Manager/Coordinator/Executive. None of them can actually MAKE ANYTHING. They are all experts in corporate speak and organizing others. We have a 22 yr old with a degree in Management!?! How do you get someone that age with a degree in that?

Now I realise that we need these roles, but surely not in the numbers we have them. The UK needs to realise that being a professional 'windbag' is no longer a viable career.

In the words of the late Fred Dibnah: "Britain has become a nation of con men, selling double glazing to each other"

Haha, the total inverse of my problem. I have internally-minded product managers with no clue whatsoever about the world outside insisting that xyz system is perfectly adequate to cope, that we don't need more capacity to grow and really acting almost as though our clients are an inconvenience.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422