House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
loginandtonic

Antique / Collectors' Fayres

Noticed today, fewer buyers, very desperate to deal traders, prices crossed out on many items, 20% off marked prices replaced, reductions given without asking, good stuff- few buyers

ties in with my experience on ebay i have to say

Yes, I can believe this having seen no interest in lovely crystal and china pieces on sale at boot fair prices the other day as a boot.

This is the problem with the antique trade - it is tied in with demand from pensioners and boomers - who are dying out or are worried about the hit on their interest or pension savings, hence will not spend.

Young folks are not into antiques, bridge, greyhound racing, football club season tickets, bowls, bridge and many more "older person" interests which we shall see die out completely in the next decade or two.

But do not mourn their passing - it is normal. Many activities and sports have died out over the generations and new ones spring up - surfing and twittering on the internet, playstations and so on. Oh dear.....

Noticed today, fewer buyers, very desperate to deal traders, prices crossed out on many items, 20% off marked prices replaced, reductions given without asking, good stuff- few buyers

ties in with my experience on ebay i have to say

As a dealer myself I have noticed a massive decline in interest. I really hope it picks up at some point, I have invested a fortune in antiques - only the top end stuff though, which is still in demand, but at the right price.

Why is it when people arrive at car boot sales/fairs/garden centres, etc, the first place they go is the restaurant/food area?

Folk are eating far too much. Eat less, buy more - simples!

As a dealer myself I have noticed a massive decline in interest. I really hope it picks up at some point, I have invested a fortune in antiques - only the top end stuff though, which is still in demand, but at the right price.

Why is it when people arrive at car boot sales/fairs/garden centres, etc, the first place they go is the restaurant/food area?

Folk are eating far too much. Eat less, buy more - simples!

thx for posting, my own items on ebay i cant shift so im not seeing this as good at all, however might be some bargains for the shrewd now if antiques became the next serious bubble, i said if, and then when everyones talking about antique values at the dinner parties then its probably near enough time to get out, everything seems to have a fashion and a cycle

Antiques are currently virtually free. I encourage you to look at the-saleroom.com and see just how cheap auction prices are.

It is just typical now that I don't have much money to spend at the moment!

thx for posting, my own items on ebay i cant shift so im not seeing this as good at all, however might be some bargains for the shrewd now if antiques became the next serious bubble, i said if, and then when everyones talking about antique values at the dinner parties then its probably near enough time to get out, everything seems to have a fashion and a cycle

I sell on eBay too, but it is only certain items that appear to be selling. Don't know how to start an auction - 99p or Buy It Now. I am too nervous that it will sell for 99p!

My hub sells quality British coins on eBay and he is doing really well. The coin market is very strong at the moment - people are investing thousands.

Nothing lasts forever and fashions comes and go. You would think that with all these 'antique' programmes on telly, people would be encouraged to buy them. Obviously, it is not to be.

Antiques are currently virtually free. I encourage you to look at the-saleroom.com and see just how cheap auction prices are.

I am not familiar with Saleroom.com and have just looked at it. How do you find out previous selling prices?

I sell on eBay too, but it is only certain items that appear to be selling. Don't know how to start an auction - 99p or Buy It Now. I am too nervous that it will sell for 99p!

My hub sells quality British coins on eBay and he is doing really well. The coin market is very strong at the moment - people are investing thousands.

Nothing lasts forever and fashions comes and go. You would think that with all these 'antique' programmes on telly, people would be encouraged to buy them. Obviously, it is not to be.

Certain items are selling well - furniture, some electronics and essentials, but i think i see a drop off in demand for cheap collectables etc. i've got lots of coins :)

I am not familiar with Saleroom.com and have just looked at it. How do you find out previous selling prices?
Pay a sub i think, also there's worthpoint.com, a sub there too. I use old millers guides etc mainly myself, but as u know prices fluctuate over the years.

I use old millers guides etc mainly myself, but as u know prices fluctuate over the years.

Millers guides are for dreamers many prices way over inflated etc , lots of china , glassware , oak and mahogany furniture are now worth a lot less than 10 years ago when much of it peaked in value .

Have a look at what Millers guides sell for on ebay.................. they don't even sell :lol: ...... job lot of millers guides for 2 quid anyone :rolleyes:

Millers guides are for dreamers many prices way over inflated etc , lots of china , glassware , oak and mahogany furniture are now worth a lot less than 10 years ago when much of it peaked in value .

Have a look at what Millers guides sell for on ebay.................. they don't even sell :lol: ...... job lot of millers guides for 2 quid anyone :rolleyes:

The Millers values are supposed to be based on sales at auctions, but I have never found them to be at all realistic. Even 15 years ago, when brown furniture was popular. I guess it is 'think of a number and double it' attitude. Always buy early walnut (pre 1800). It is the only wood worth investing in. Mahogany is very common. Oak is ok if it is pre 1700. Of course, you will have to pay more for a quality piece, but then that has always been the case.

Certain items are selling well - furniture, some electronics and essentials, but i think i see a drop off in demand for cheap collectables etc. i've got lots of coins :)

Pay a sub i think, also there's worthpoint.com, a sub there too. I use old millers guides etc mainly myself, but as u know prices fluctuate over the years.

Are you looking to sell your coins?