House Price Crash Forum

Surprised At Car Dealers' Responses

Alba

HOLA441

My wife and I visited two car dealerships yesterday, ie Citroen and Skoda. Both are noted for their willingness to discount.

We were both amazed at how totally lack lustre their responses were. They just did not bother! There was no attempt to sell or draw attention to any discounts or whatever. Sales technique was absent!

In this so called credit crunch we just don't understand what is going on. The car industry is in difficulty, car dealerships are closing down, sales people are being paid off, yet these dealerships could not have been more apathetic.

It is almost 8 years ago since we last bought a car, and we found the sales people really interested in our business.

We are now considering keeping our existing car for at least another year, or buying online.

Is it just our area or is there a wider malaise, like this? What is going on?

HOLA442
My wife and I visited two car dealerships yesterday, ie Citroen and Skoda. Both are noted for their willingness to discount.

We were both amazed at how totally lack lustre their responses were. They just did not bother! There was no attempt to sell or draw attention to any discounts or whatever. Sales technique was absent!

In this so called credit crunch we just don't understand what is going on. The car industry is in difficulty, car dealerships are closing down, sales people are being paid off, yet these dealerships could not have been more apathetic.

It is almost 8 years ago since we last bought a car, and we found the sales people really interested in our business.

We are now considering keeping our existing car for at least another year, or buying online.

It could be the fact that business may be so quiet that they have simply stopped believing that anyone is actually going to buy anything. I bet they did loads of deals which evaporated when they came to applying for the finance. I bet that if you said that you had actual cash they would be all over you.

HOLA443

A friend bought a couple of cars about 2 and 3 months ago (both previous cars died within weeks of each other) - Skoda dealer did a deal with them, but he spent a good couple of hours negotiating - he's a haggler, I wouldn't have the tolerance and tenacity to do it, but he was happy with the result he achieved.

However, he wasn't looking for finance from them.

I've never been sure about part exchanges, as I think it muddies the discount waters so to speak (you don't know what's a discount on the car, and what's a good deal on the PX)- although I wonder if it would encourage negotiations now - especially with the scrappage options etc...

HOLA444
It could be the fact that business may be so quiet that they have simply stopped believing that anyone is actually going to buy anything. I bet they did loads of deals which evaporated when they came to applying for the finance. I bet that if you said that you had actual cash they would be all over you.

Cash would be bad in my view, better to make money on finance.

Between the two, cash buyer and finance buyer, the finance buyer represents a much larger profit as well as bonus money.

HOLA445
Guest tbatst2000

You just chose, at random, badly run/staffed dealerships. Back during the last recession I remember going into a VW garage having already decided exactly what I wanted and being in a position to pay cash - the sales idiot was so unhelpful I gave up and went next door and bought a Ford instead (glad I did incidentally, it was an excellent car and a good bit cheaper than the equivalent VW). It's a mistake to assume that everyone in sales in any good at the job, there's just as many idiots doing it as any other job out there.

HOLA446

Dealers prefer financed customers as they often make more money on the finance kick back than the car.

If you really want to get the best deal and piss them off, tell them you want to finance so they will offer you the best deal then last minute say you are paying cash (once you have their written best price).

Better yet just keep you old car longer.

HOLA447
You just chose, at random, badly run/staffed dealerships. Back during the last recession I remember going into a VW garage having already decided exactly what I wanted and being in a position to pay cash - the sales idiot was so unhelpful I gave up and went next door and bought a Ford instead (glad I did incidentally, it was an excellent car and a good bit cheaper than the equivalent VW). It's a mistake to assume that everyone in sales in any good at the job, there's just as many idiots doing it as any other job out there.

That's exactly right.In the trade we get to know who is switched on and who isn't. I sourced a Peugeot107 for a customer and the dealer in my town wanted £1200 more than the price I was quoted ten miles up the road.The local one had quoted exactly the same price to the customer directly so I just bought the one up the road and gave her half the discount. The easiest £600 I have earned for some while.

HOLA448

Well it is shocking how inept car dealers are. I once tried to buy a new SEAT from two different dealers. Neither of them seemed especially serious about wanting to shift anything and I wasn't trying anything silly on haggling either (never even got that far). One was difficult about even getting a test drive and then refused to quote (even verbally) a price, and I mean not even MRP, another wanted me to pay there and then and maybe, perhaps one day, they might choose to deliver something like what I wanted when it suited them at some point in the next year! Could he be bothered to get on the phone and actually find out? Could he fiddlesticks.

I just don't get it. Once upon a time I worked in a gift shop selling things for a pennies in some cases.

I'd have been dragged over hot coals for messing up a sale through indifference... but nobody is bothered when its a car?

Bought a second hand Ford in the end.

Erm, this doesn't really answer anything does it, but you are far from alone OP.

HOLA449

Car dealers = estate agents. In the good times they are just order-takers, in the bad times they are just thumb-twiddlers. The majority of them (not all) have very little sales ability, or indeed common sense.

Also, Citroen and Skoda are doing very well from the scrappage deals so those guys may still be in order-taking mode.

PS: Keep your old car OP. :)

HOLA4410

Do these salesmen have it too easy?

I know that in the USA and Canada, many of them are employed on a commission only basis, and they pull out all the stops to try and achieve a sale.

I am not drawing from just one example here, it was two different dealerships.

I also usually go on my own, but this time my wife came with me. She was absolutely amazed at the total lack of interest and sales technique. Perhaps it is some new psychological sales manner, appropriate to the credit crunch!!

Neither salesman asked how old our existing car was, in order to push the advantage of the scrappage scheme. Both companies have other special offers on like 0% finance for Citroen and VAT off for Skoda, but this was not mentioned.

Neither of them offered a test drive.

They did not ask for our phone number, or even offer their card.

Sales technique was totally non existent.

They could not even calculate discount prices.

As it was getting close to closure time, ie 5pm, the Skoda salesman went and put the keys in the exit door ready for a rapid departure.

I could go on and on.

My current car is 8 years old and would be valued at about £3000. It needs around £1000 spent on it to ensure absolute trouble free motoring for the next few years. I am talking precautionary measures like new discs, cam belt, exhaust, and a full service etc. There is nothing presently faulty or cosmetically wrong with the car and it drives really well. It has only covered 36,000 miles from new. So following these negative experiences, I may just spend the £1000, and deny the industry a sale.

HOLA4411
Do these salesmen have it too easy?

I know that in the USA and Canada, many of them are employed on a commission only basis, and they pull out all the stops to try and achieve a sale.

I am not drawing from just one example here, it was two different dealerships.

I also usually go on my own, but this time my wife came with me. She was absolutely amazed at the total lack of interest and sales technique. Perhaps it is some new psychological sales manner, appropriate to the credit crunch!!

Neither salesman asked how old our existing car was, in order to push the advantage of the scrappage scheme. Both companies have other special offers on like 0% finance for Citroen and VAT off for Skoda, but this was not mentioned.

Neither of them offered a test drive.

They did not ask for our phone number, or even offer their card.

Sales technique was totally non existent.

They could not even calculate discount prices.

As it was getting close to closure time, ie 5pm, the Skoda salesman went and put the keys in the exit door ready for a rapid departure.

I could go on and on.

My current car is 8 years old and would be valued at about £3000. It needs around £1000 spent on it to ensure absolute trouble free motoring for the next few years. I am talking precautionary measures like new discs, cam belt, exhaust, and a full service etc. There is nothing presently faulty or cosmetically wrong with the car and it drives really well. It has only covered 36,000 miles from new. So following these negative experiences, I may just spend the £1000, and deny the industry a sale.

I presume it's not a Skoda or a Citroen.To be worth £3k at 8 years old it must be a Mercedes or similar.Most 8 year old cars are £1500 tops.

HOLA4412
I presume it's not a Skoda or a Citroen.To be worth £3k at 8 years old it must be a Mercedes or similar.Most 8 year old cars are £1500 tops.

Yes, the car originally cost us about £25,000. I am trading down.

Archived