House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cozza

No Eu Poll Card Through The Post

I'm a registed voter and have never before failed to receive a poll card well in time to vote. UNTIL THIS TIME.

NOTHING HAS COME.

Talked to my neighbours both downstairs and in the properties to my left and right. They've not received their polling cards either.

I'll vote irrespective of whether the polling card arrives although not everyone who has failed to receive their card will even be aware of when to vote or that they can do so without a card.

Has anyone else failed to receive their voting card? I fear this is one of Broons methods to ensure a low turnout.

Edited by Cozza

During the last Euro elections there were some postal voting scams in which postal votes were fraudulently applied for in someone else's name, and the first the victim knew about it was when they did not receive a polling card.

I'd contact your local council tomorrow and check this out.

The Labour Party and their supporters are now experts at electoral fraud.

Postal voting is wide open to abuse and should be banned, but as the people abusing the system are currently in Government this is not going to happen.

A Bananna Republic indeed.

:angry:

The Labour Party and their supporters are now experts at electoral fraud.

Postal voting is wide open to abuse and should be banned, but as the people abusing the system are currently in Government this is not going to happen.

A Bananna Republic indeed.

Remember, the Electoral Registration Commission is a parliamentary organisation, not a government one. Elections are normally managed by local authorities, again nothing to do with the government. (Just to make it clear, if it needs to be stated, the government and parliament are not the same.) I agree that postal voting could be open to abuse, and it is often taken on trust. I've made my postal vote, so assuming no one in the Royal Mail has chosen to collect all the postal votes and separate them out to burn them, I think my vote should be safe.

I do think the advice given above about checking with your local authority's Local Returning Officer is a very good piece of advice. Messing with the electoral system is a criminal offence, and rightly so.

Remember, the Electoral Registration Commission is a parliamentary organisation, not a government one. Elections are normally managed by local authorities, again nothing to do with the government. (Just to make it clear, if it needs to be stated, the government and parliament are not the same.) I agree that postal voting could be open to abuse, and it is often taken on trust. I've made my postal vote, so assuming no one in the Royal Mail has chosen to collect all the postal votes and separate them out to burn them, I think my vote should be safe.

I do think the advice given above about checking with your local authority's Local Returning Officer is a very good piece of advice. Messing with the electoral system is a criminal offence, and rightly so.

Unless you voted Labour this could easily happen

In previous elections post boxes have actually been set on fire

I would advise people that unless you are voting Labour NEVER use a postal vote.

:blink:

Unless you voted Labour this could easily happen

In previous elections post boxes have actually been set on fire

I would advise people that unless you are voting Labour NEVER use a postal vote.

:blink:

So what are you saying? That my Lib Dem vote (for they are the most Euro-friendly of all the parties) is now wasted?

If so, you seem to be suggesting that the envelops are being tampered with, to determine non-Labour votes. (Presumably by Labour party members, or Labour sympathisers.) That is a very serious allegation, and if you really believe it you should be taking it up with your local police, rather than whinging about Labour on an Internet forum.

Just to remind you, this thread is about polling cards, not anti-Labour. And I would advise anyone looking at your advice to ignore it. Yes folks, despite what you might read in the Daily Mail, it is still ok to have a postal vote.

For all those conspiracy theorists I would point out it is local councils that do the counting of the votes and handle the processing of postal votes. Most of them are run by the Tories or Lib Dems.

So if there was fraud going on to help Labour don't you think they might say something about it!

It is the local authority's job to organise the poll, staff the polling stations, etc. From experience they almost always use a dedicated delivery team to deliver polling cards as it's considerably cheaper than the Royal Mail.

This means two things. Firstly the cards could arrive anything between three weeks and three days before the election depening on when the delivery team reaches your house. Secondly that if your neighbours don't have their polling cards then you don't need to worry. It's if they have their polling cards and you don't then you need to worry.

Lastly Labour are particularly prone to voting fraud, but it is still very, very unlikely unless you are in a crucial marginal council seat in a council they have to hold or hope to win. This year that means Derbyshire (the council they are most likely to hold and so avoid the charge that they hold no county councils). You may have a freelance campaign of ballot stuffing (and the freelance campaigns aren't limited to Labour) but again this is highly unlikely. Again, voting fraud is carried out and it does favour the Labour party, but it is very risky and so is gratifyingly rare.

The idea that they would get involved in the European elections for voting fraud is nonsensical. The scale is just too large for it to make a significant difference. It's bound to be found out at that scale. Westminster or Council elections, perhaps (and then rarely) but European elections on the current system, no way.

Guest eight
Just to remind you, this thread is about polling cards, not anti-Labour. And I would advise anyone looking at your advice to ignore it. Yes folks, despite what you might read in the Daily Mail, it is still ok to have a postal vote.

Well, I think you're wrong.

That's it!

eight

I'd get onto a journo at the local paper if there's any left still and get them looking into the possibility of postal fraud

I'd find out whether it's due to be delivered this week, before doing that. Might just avoid the OP looking like a bit of an eejit ;)

spelling edit

Edited by Mal Volio

For all those conspiracy theorists I would point out it is local councils that do the counting of the votes and handle the processing of postal votes. Most of them are run by the Tories or Lib Dems.

So if there was fraud going on to help Labour don't you think they might say something about it!

Usually it's done through postal and proxy vote, and sometimes through voter impersonation, rather than at counting. Counting is almost impossible to fix because all the parties have observers at the count. However it's far rarer than most people think.

If it was to be done through the count the more important thing would not be to have the counters on side and not the council, and local authority workers are not known as big fans of the Tories. As NOLS (the National Organisation of Labour Students) used to advise, get your mates to count the votes.

However this is almost impossible to do in a systematic way due to the marked register and observers at the count.

Usually it's done through postal and proxy vote, and sometimes through voter impersonation, rather than at counting. Counting is almost impossible to fix because all the parties have observers at the count. However it's far rarer than most people think.

If it was to be done through the count the more important thing would not be to have the counters on side and not the council, and local authority workers are not known as big fans of the Tories. As NOLS (the National Organisation of Labour Students) used to advise, get your mates to count the votes.

However this is almost impossible to do in a systematic way due to the marked register and observers at the count.

Link to article about electoral fraud by Labour

Written by ex British ambassador

IMO there will be a substantial amount of electoral fraud committed by Labour in the European elections

My wife has just informed me that my brother-in-law who is a Labour supporter has received a voting card and has also been sent a postal vote.

Does anyone know if this means he would be able to vote twice?

This is not a 'wind up' by the way.

i have recieved nothing.

but then again i usually through them away.

im insulted that i have not been given the option of tearing up my vote card whilst saying Feck You really loudly.

So what are you saying? That my Lib Dem vote (for they are the most Euro-friendly of all the parties) is now wasted?

If so, you seem to be suggesting that the envelops are being tampered with, to determine non-Labour votes. (Presumably by Labour party members, or Labour sympathisers.) That is a very serious allegation, and if you really believe it you should be taking it up with your local police, rather than whinging about Labour on an Internet forum.

Brown’s partisanship will ensure that every aspect of the political system is ruthlessly exploited to Labour’s advantage. Labour’s turnout will be heavily boosted by postal voting, which, as a series of fraud scandals have proved, is open to corruption by agents and activists. One judge, presiding in 2005 over a case involving a municipal postal voting fraud in Birmingham, said the scale of abuses by six local Labour candidates would have “disgraced a banana republicâ€.

http://www.newstatesman.com/uk-politics/20...rnment-election

SIX middle-aged Muslim men, all pillars of their communities, won seats on Britain’s biggest local authority in the most corrupt election campaign since the Victorian era.

Vote-riggers exploited weaknesses in the postal voting system to steal thousands of ballot papers and mark them for Labour, helping the party to take first place in elections to Birmingham City Council.

They believed that their cheating would be hidden for ever in the secrecy of the strong boxes where counted votes are stored, never suspecting that a judge would take the rare step of smashing the seals and tracing the ballots back to the voters. Election corruption has been so rare in the past 100 years that lawyers have struggled to find examples since the late 19th century, when Britain was adjusting to the novelty of universal male suffrage.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article377468.ece

The Tories have been up to it as well, vote rigging in cases that have been before a Judge show it happens, is real and is rarely found out.

Edited by Tom Peters

My wife has just informed me that my brother-in-law who is a Labour supporter has received a voting card and has also been sent a postal vote.

You should snitch him up to the press - find a journo who was involved in articles on votes scandal ..

Or ring the sun. They pay cash

:)

Depends on the system as to whether you get both

That used to happen to use where we lived before (Tory LA). If you use the postal vote, you can't vote on the day, and vice versa

Here you just get the postal vote, if you've applied for one. Seems fairer

The idea that they would get involved in the European elections for voting fraud is nonsensical. The scale is just too large for it to make a significant difference. It's bound to be found out at that scale. Westminster or Council elections, perhaps (and then rarely) but European elections on the current system, no way.

Agreed. Voting fraud in Euro elections would have to be organised on an industrial scale which is beyond even the biggest parties. Even for Parliamentary elections it would only make a difference if the seat were very marginal. In fact most of the major parties have been losing members over the years and struggle to find enough activists to deliver leaflets, let alone gerrymander the result.

Local elections are another matter because low turnouts means that a couple of hundred votes either way can make all the difference between defeat and victory. It is also less likely to be detected because many voters simply can not be a*sed to vote so are unlikely to realise they have been impersonated.

Personally I think everyone should be obliged to vote by law, as is the case in Australia, with the proviso that an additional box for 'None of the Above' is added to the ballot paper. If 'None of the Above' wins then the post is handed to an individual chosen by lot from the electorate (nb - if the chosen individual declines office then the process is repeated until someone accepts the role).

Edited by up2nogood

You should snitch him up to the press - find a journo who was involved in articles on votes scandal ..

Or ring the sun. They pay cash

:)

Hi, sorry if the link above doesn't work - my first post.

Everyone who votes by post gets a 'voting card' as well as their postal vote. Those who always vote by post get one saying that they will get their vote by post and can't vote in person. You might also get a polling station poll card if you apply for a postal vote late on.

You won't be able to vote in the polling station if you are sent a postal vote.

I will post about house prices next!

Depends on the system as to whether you get both

That used to happen to use where we lived before (Tory LA). If you use the postal vote, you can't vote on the day, and vice versa

Here you just get the postal vote, if you've applied for one. Seems fairer

Do they actually check if you vote twice?

What if one vote is for one party and one is for another?

Which one do they count

Sounds like a massive ****-up to me, unless it's a conspiracy ;)

Hi, sorry if the link above doesn't work - my first post.

Everyone who votes by post gets a 'voting card' as well as their postal vote. Those who always vote by post get one saying that they will get their vote by post and can't vote in person. You might also get a polling station poll card if you apply for a postal vote late on.

You won't be able to vote in the polling station if you are sent a postal vote.

I will post about house prices next!

thanks for that

Don't think I'll mention it to him, he should read things more carefully

That's one vote Labour won't be getting when he turns up to vote and he's not on the list

:lol:

Do they actually check if you vote twice?

yes

What if one vote is for one party and one is for another?

you can't vote if your postal vote is already received

Sounds like a massive ****-up to me, unless it's a conspiracy ;)

No on both counts.