House Price Crash Forum
Mikhail Liebenstein

The Conseratives Need To Get A New Leader

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article...nths-later.html

Ok, this I think is worthy of an investigation. A shame as I actually reasonably liked David Cameron and certain would prefer to see him installed instead of Brown.

This is every bit as bad as the mortgage flippers like the Chancellor. In essence, he had a genuine mortgage for his own home, and he has transferred that liability to the taxpayer by moving the debt to another property.

This is morally and possibly legally as bad as the MPs who claimed for non existent mortgages. Remember, expenses are supposed to be used wholly and exclusively for Parliamentary business.

This is analogous to an MP taking out a mortgage on a property they already own outright, getting to the taxpayer to pay the new loan back whilst sticking the money in the bank to receive the interest- - its a bit like having an offset, offsetting his own interest liability by transferring it to the taxpayer.

That in my book looks like fraud and smells like fraud! But I am sure they'll say its within the rules.

Edited by mikelivingstone

1) Sack all the back benchers.

2) Put the front benchers of all parties in a locked room, with some bottles of whisky and a few loaded revolvers and knives. I will vote for whomever walks out under their own steam.

“Nobody gets out of here alive†Jim Morrison

Is this the same Cameron who yesterday was saying how the Police should be brought in for MP's taking the piss ?

Oh dear.

I always thought he probably doesn't need a mortgage

Thats a lot of house for 350K, though it does look like he has concreted over the entire front garden to make a car park

They've all been at it.

I am filled with despair that we will be choosing our next government official, not through the level of trust granted by their achievements, qualifications and work experience, but instead by the level of their corruption or lack thereof.

Absolute despair.

They've all been at it.

I am filled with despair that we will be choosing our next government official, not through the level of trust granted by their achievements, qualifications and work experience, but instead by the level of their corruption or lack thereof.

Absolute despair.

Yep. We will be voting for the least dodgy one.

Maybe Injin and the rest are correct. The whole thing just needs to collapse.

Awesome. :lol::lol:

I strongly suspect the Tories and Lib Dems aren't cleaner then Labour, they are more financially and legally astute - they have "four jobs", front companies and the like.

Maybe we will end up with the BNP as the only clean party left !!

Guest UK Debt Slave
Awesome. :lol::lol:

I strongly suspect the Tories and Lib Dems aren't cleaner then Labour, they are more financially and legally astute - they have "four jobs", front companies and the like.

Why anyone should believe any political party is 'cleaner' than any of the others is beyond me.

As for Cameron, I never have trusted him just as I never trusted Bliar.

Larry Elliott described him as a slimeball right back in the days when Cameron was a PR executive for Carlton Television.

Before he came into politics, Blair was a lawyer, as was his industry secretary Alistair Darling and the transport secretary Douglas Alexander. Brown's sole experience of the go-getting world of the private sector was as a journalist for Scottish Television. Not that the other parties are much different. David Cameron prepared for the task of repositioning the Conservative party by acting as PR for Carlton TV in the 1990s. He was described by one business editor, the Sun's Ian King, as a "poisonous, slippery individual" and a "smarmy bully who regularly threatened journalists who dared to write anything negative about Carlton". When you get down to it, this is a country that tries to make its living from talk, talk and more talk.

Ok, this I think is worthy of a police investigation. A shame as I actually reasonably liked David Cameron and certain would prefer to see him installed instead of Brown.

Yes, I'd prefer to see Cameron in Downing Street instead of Broon (I'd prefer to see anyone in Downing Street instead of Broon), but I have gone off David Cameron.

His strutting ever since the expenses issue exploded seems a tad staged and cynical especially when you consider that Cameron's had his snout in the trough the same as the rest, and that Cameron has known for years that this has been going on.

Labour and Conservative are spent as political forces. They are now one and the same: career politicians; cynical, backstabbing members of the Political Class; in politics purely for the money and the lifestyle.

Vote for a fringe party, or for an independent.

Maybe we will end up with the BNP as the only clean party left !!

Well, they do have a political ideology once shared by people with a wish to turn their opponents into soap.

Vote for a fringe party, or for an independent.

Well, I reckon we will have a parliament full of this next year.

Britains political landscape will not see a strict two party system for a long long time. Both the mainstream parties have proved to be an absolute catastrophe for the prosperity of our nation, and within living memory for most of the voting populace.

Gordon knows he is the walking dead; but he is also a megalomaniac. Getting rid of him will be very difficult as he still holds the highest office in the land and is capable of turning very nasty to ensure his tenure. Creep.

Edited by cashinmattress

Yep. We will be voting for the least dodgy one.

Maybe Injin and the rest are correct. The whole thing just needs to collapse.

I vote for Bloo Loo at least she would keep my laughing for all the right reasons, what do you think Bloo Loo will you be our next PM?

[This is every bit as bad as the mortgage flippers like the Chancellor. In essence, he had a genuine mortgage for his own home, and he has transferred that liability to the taxpayer by moving the debt to another property.

I don't agree (as a matter of principle, nothing to do with politics).

If you need two houses for work, you need two houses for you work.

If you own one of those oughtright I don't see how it is wrong to charge the loan on the other to your expenses. After all, if you didn't need the second house you wouldn't have the loan at all, would you?

tim

To be honest I have not looked at all the MP's expenses stuff and have been shocked by what I have read here. I thought we were talking about MP's claiming for property in London for when they have to be in parliament, not country estates ! What is more I thought we would be talking about MP's who could not afford 2nd homes . What surely is more relevant in this article rather than Cameron paying £75000 off his mortgage a few weeks after claiming £350000 off the tax payer towards his £650000 home in Oxford is that he made £935000 profit on the flat he paid off and bought another nearby.

So why did he need help with his mortgage? Cameron believes he has done nothing wrong, can he really survive this? Trouble is if he goes are we going to get someone old school and really conservative? Was this leaked by someone wanted the old Tory party back?

Now The Mail on Sunday can provide a more detailed account of his property dealings and how they relate to his expenses.

According to Land Registry documents, in 1995 Mr Cameron paid £215,000 for a house in Kensington, West London, which was part-funded with a £75,000 mortgage from Alliance & Leicester.

In August 2001, just a month after the second-home allowance went up by a staggering £5,840 per annum – from £13,628 to £19,468 – and two months after he entered the Commons, he paid £650,000 for the constituency house in Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, and used the property as security for a £350,000 loan from HSBC.

Mr Cameron’s spokesman said last night that his offer on the house had been accepted three months earlier in May 2001.

Then, in December of that year, the Land Registry removed the Alliance & Leicester charge from its records for the Kensington home after the loan was ‘discharged by electronic means.’

Mr Cameron sold the Kensington property in 2005 for £1,150,000 – a profit of £935,000 – and bought another house nearby. His Oxfordshire home is estimated to be worth just under £1million, a paper profit of more than £300,000.

His mortgage claim is potentially contentious because, coincidentally or not, experts say that it corresponds approximately to the upper limit of the ACA, which covers the costs of running an MP’s second home. In the financial year 2002-03, the first full year Mr Cameron claimed under the ACA, he received the maximum £19,722.

In 2003-04, he claimed £20,328, just £5 less than the maximum, and in 2004-05 he took the maximum of £20,902.

In total, between 2002 and 2007 he claimed £102,874. If he had paid off £75,000 of the Oxfordshire loan, rather than clearing the mortgage on his London home, the bill would have been about £22,500 lower.

Edited by Sybil13

I rather like the Green Party's policy of 'smashing up' the banks into organisations small enough to fail. That way if the lend stupid money they go bust, and don't get a bailout. I suspect however if they ever got close enough to implement it they'd be sent on a collective walk in the woods by the banking mafia. I wonder if the phones are busy at common purpose attempting to rig who gets into the minority parties leadership ?

Edited by sikejsudjek

MP's should be means-tested

If nothing else, the ignominy of means-testing (to which at least half of the population is subjected due to tax credits largely having replaced tax-free allowances) might go some way to addressing their arrogance and provoking a much needed humility.

I think ... In essence ... morally ... possibly legally ... a bit like ... in my book

That's a whole lot of subjective balls. Cameron bought a house in his constiuency and claimed for mortgage interest. Some time later he paid off his mortgage on his London house.

And here's another one worthy of police investigation - it's a definite flouting of the rules.

London MP claims public money for Labour party HQ

Our two MPs share the same labour office as the local party. bound to be loads of dodginess around all of that.

(and our local letters page is packed with hatred letters for the expenses and NOT all from me either!)