House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cashinmattress

'fingers In The Till' Darling Must Go, Says Furious Vince Cable

'Fingers in the till' Darling must go, says furious Vince Cable

Anger: Alistair Darling's moral authority has vanished, says Vince Cable, right

Mr Cable, who rarely indulges in personal attacks, said that until the expenses furore he regarded Mr Darling as 'a fundamentally decent man doing an extremely difficult job'.

But his view had changed completely in the past two weeks as details of the Chancellor's expense claims have emerged.

Writing in the Mail on Sunday, Mr Cable says: 'When he was accused of "flipping" homes and getting the taxpayer to pay his accountancy bills, I was stunned. I assumed that either a good explanation or a resignation would follow. Neither did.

'I then assumed that a proper independent investigation would be launched to clear his name. Nothing.'

Mr Cable said the last straw came when he was listening to his car radio and heard Mr Darling say that all MPs were to blame, not him personally.

'My wife had to calm me down, otherwise I would have driven into a ditch with rage. I imagine that the vast majority of MPs, including Labour members, who have not been abusing the system, felt the same.

'Here is the company finance director caught with his fingers in the till. He doesn't explain. He doesn't apologise. He just blames his colleagues for not stopping him. His moral authority has vanished. He must go, now.'

Mr Cable was unenthusiastic about a claim that he could soon be sitting in Mr Darling's Cabinet chair. According to a report, Mr Brown could attempt to revive his fortunes by inviting senior Liberal Democrats to join the Cabinet - with Mr Cable top of the list of potential recruits.

But Mr Cable said he would turn down any such offer. 'There is not a scintilla of truth in the idea,' he added.

Rumours have swirled around Westminster over the past week that Mr Darling has had to be talked out of announcing he would be standing down as an MP at the next Election.

The Prime Minister is said to have begged Mr Darling to stay on, warning that his departure would send a signal of disarray at the heart of government.

However, some observers suggest that Mr Darling was effectively holding Mr Brown to ransom over the forthcoming Cabinet reshuffle, forcing him to keep him in his post.

Parliament, and government at large have lost all moral authority. Vince is right and we are looking at dark days ahead.

A rout of MP's is inevitable at this stage. Who is ready to see the expense accounts of senior bureaucrats?

We are in deep kaka as a nation.

What was it Gordon Brown said?

"We can find common qualities and common values that have made Britain the country it is. Our belief in tolerance and liberty which shines through British history. Our commitment to fairness, fair play and civic duty." Gordon Brown

"The Prime Minister is said to have begged Mr Darling to stay on, warning that his departure would send a signal of disarray at the heart of government."

didnt someone say MR Brown "Gets it"

he has a star chamber for the miscreants, but anyone close is immune. Brown is proving his failure every day.

"We can find common qualities and common values that have made Britain the country it is. Our belief in tolerance and liberty which shines through British history. Our commitment to fairness, fair play and civic duty." Gordon Brown

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...es-scandal.html

'I'm sorry.. now vote for me' says Brown in letter blaming Tories for expenses scandal

By Tim Shipman and Andy Dolan

Last updated at 11:45 AM on 30th May 2009

Prime Minister Gordon Brown has written to voters apologising for the expenses scandal

Gordon Brown is bombarding thousands of voters with personal letters apologising for the expenses scandal in a bid to drum up Labour support at the European elections next week.

The Prime Minister was accused last night of cynically politicising the fiasco.

In a bid to tar the Tories as the worst offenders, Mr Brown's letter denounces the way Conservative MPs were caught using taxpayers' money to clean their moats and maintain their swimming pools.

Ive just ordered a container of Brown Shirts, all sizes, can even do custom insignia.

Which of you English, Welsh, and Northern Irish forum members would want a Scottish politician back in charge or in the cabinet? I reckon it will be zero percent.

Am I wrong?

I dont think his being a Jock is relevant

In my view it is clear that we have had a conspiracy by the three major parties to defraud the taxpayer. That hundreds of MPs were fiddling expenses in collusion with the commons office and no one know is just not credible.

Hence my interest in this story from the Telegraph today re parliamentarians meeting with the FOI commissioner to decide what could be released.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...ublication.html

Firstly Straw pressures the FOI Commissioner to rule against full disclosure.

The Sunday Telegraph has learned that Jack Straw, who was then the Commons Leader, held a meeting with Mr Thomas and his deputy, Graham Smith, between the commissioner's preliminary and final rulings.

A spokesman for Mr Straw, however, denied last night that the talks – at which senior MPs from other parties were also present – played a "fundamental" role in the commissioner's U-turn.

And secondly the Tories and Libs were also there too.

A spokesman for Mr Straw said that the minister, who is now Justice Secretary but was then Commons Leader, had a meeting on 19 December 2006 with Mr Thomas, Mr Smith and other senior MPs including Theresa May for the Conservatives and David Heath for the Liberal Democrats.

The spokesman said that it was a "very general discussion" and added: "It was about getting the balance right between transparency and privacy".

He went on: "It wasn't a meeting which was fundamental to any decision at any point. The Information Commissioner said he would go away and reflect on the implication of the FOI Act for Parliament."

The final decision taken by Mr Thomas – on 13 June 2007 – ordered the release of just some of the information under 12 categories.

In my view it is clear that we have had a conspiracy by the three major parties to defraud the taxpayer. That hundreds of MPs were fiddling expenses in collusion with the commons office and no one know is just not credible.

Hence my interest in this story from the Telegraph today re parliamentarians meeting with the FOI commissioner to decide what could be released.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...ublication.html

Firstly Straw pressures the FOI Commissioner to rule against full disclosure.

The Sunday Telegraph has learned that Jack Straw, who was then the Commons Leader, held a meeting with Mr Thomas and his deputy, Graham Smith, between the commissioner's preliminary and final rulings.

A spokesman for Mr Straw, however, denied last night that the talks �" at which senior MPs from other parties were also present �" played a "fundamental" role in the commissioner's U-turn.

And secondly the Tories and Libs were also there too.

A spokesman for Mr Straw said that the minister, who is now Justice Secretary but was then Commons Leader, had a meeting on 19 December 2006 with Mr Thomas, Mr Smith and other senior MPs including Theresa May for the Conservatives and David Heath for the Liberal Democrats.

The spokesman said that it was a "very general discussion" and added: "It was about getting the balance right between transparency and privacy".

He went on: "It wasn't a meeting which was fundamental to any decision at any point. The Information Commissioner said he would go away and reflect on the implication of the FOI Act for Parliament."

The final decision taken by Mr Thomas �" on 13 June 2007 �" ordered the release of just some of the information under 12 categories.

im sorry, but when does making an application for public money become a private matter?

It isn't. But the question remains. Will Britain ever again trust a Scottish politician?

I am afraid I have no idea, and dont really care

'Fingers in the till' Darling must go, says furious Vince Cable

Parliament, and government at large have lost all moral authority. Vince is right and we are looking at dark days ahead.

A rout of MP's is inevitable at this stage. Who is ready to see the expense accounts of senior bureaucrats?

We are in deep kaka as a nation.

What was it Gordon Brown said?

I think all this is being blown out of proportion for political reasons. Now the SHF the whole country could be exposed as licking the cream in the good times, and many on here will have done so. Every public body will have had the same goings on, and private to a degree whereby we as customers will have been ok about it provided we did ok ourselves. Lets hope this is the beginning of a national purge on rip offs of all kinds and in all organisations, but i very much doubt it. Its just political.

I think all this is being blown out of proportion for political reasons. Now the SHF the whole country could be exposed as licking the cream in the good times, and many on here will have done so. Every public body will have had the same goings on, and private to a degree whereby we as customers will have been ok about it provided we did ok ourselves. Lets hope this is the beginning of a national purge on rip offs of all kinds and in all organisations, but i very much doubt it. Its just political.

This is much more than a political crisis. It exposes a system of disparity within Britain, which has been swept under the rug over the last decade as we deeply inhaled bong hits off of the credit hookah. Now we are most definitely down off the high and becoming aware of the corruption which brought about this apparent 'prosperity'.

This is a constitutional crisis, as we have one set of laws for them, and another for us.

Dark days, very dark days, mate.

I dont think his being a Jock is relevant

Not inherently. But our broken constitution - the Westlothian question and to a lesser extent the Barnett formula - make it relevant. I wouldn't hold that against the Jocks in general, but those in the party that created this brokenness are a special case ...

Thought experiment: how would you view a frenchman for prime minister? Bear in mind that there's no Westlothian nonsense between France and us.

Which of you English, Welsh, and Northern Irish forum members would want a Scottish politician back in charge or in the cabinet? I reckon it will be zero percent.

Am I wrong?

I'd consider another Scottish PM, if he was good enough for the job. Brown plainly isn't.

That said, all the sanctimonious cr@p we've had to put up with from the Scots over the last couple of decades about the English being "greedy" has been well and truly put to bed.

Not inherently. But our broken constitution - the Westlothian question and to a lesser extent the Barnett formula - make it relevant. I wouldn't hold that against the Jocks in general, but those in the party that created this brokenness are a special case ...

Thought experiment: how would you view a frenchman for prime minister? Bear in mind that there's no Westlothian nonsense between France and us.

I'd be much more interested in some one who could do a good job and this d1ckhead hasnt!!

Is there anything that would prevent a Frenchman becoming PM? ( constitutionally)

I'd be much more interested in some one who could do a good job and this d1ckhead hasnt!!

Is there anything that would prevent a Frenchman becoming PM? ( constitutionally)

He would just have to be a British citizen wouldn't he?

JJ Burnel for PM? Or is he Belgian?

the two senior politicians who have been 'flipping' or stealing as i call it it should be fired from parliament - alistair darling and michael gove. yet theres been next to no coverage of this which is where the serious money has been involved.

moats and gates are very small sums but flipping can generate hundreds of thousands in profit

He would just have to be a British citizen wouldn't he?

JJ Burnel for PM? Or is he Belgian?

Nobody in their right mind would want a Frenchman for PM. The French political system is sytemically corrupt - bribes are the order of the day. If you think our MPs are dodgy, just take a look at their French counterparts - and their local government system - mayoralties and the like. It's all about bungs, bribes and brown envelopes.

Nobody in their right mind would want a Frenchman for PM. The French political system is sytemically corrupt - bribes are the order of the day. If you think our MPs are dodgy, just take a look at their French counterparts - and their local government system - mayoralties and the like. It's all about bungs, bribes and brown envelopes.

Welcome to the real world :rolleyes:

What's a star chamber?

In modern usage, legal or administrative bodies with strict, arbitrary rulings and secretive proceedings are sometimes called, metaphorically or poetically, star chambers. This is a pejorative term and intended to cast doubt on the legitimacy of the proceedings. The inherent lack of objectivity of any politically motivated charges has led to substantial reforms in English law in most jurisdictions since that time.

from Wiki.

What's a star chamber?

Wikipedia FWIW:

The Star Chamber (Latin Camera stellata) was an English court of law that sat at the royal Palace of Westminster until 1641. It was made up of Privy Counsellors, as well as common-law judges, and supplemented the activities of the common-law and equity courts in both civil and criminal matters. The court was set up to ensure the fair enforcement of laws against prominent people, those so powerful that ordinary courts could never convict them of their crimes. Court sessions were held in secret, with no indictments, no right of appeal, no juries, and no witnesses. Evidence was presented in writing. Over time it evolved into a political weapon and has become a symbol of the misuse and abuse of power by the English monarchy and courts.