House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Britain's Got Talent

I think it highlights the quality of this forum that there is no thread on here discussing this show.

Please use this thread to state quite how much you despise the dreadful tat that is reality television rather than discussing the merits or otherwise of whoever was on that particular brand of audience participation nonsense.

I; thank you.

Can I also request that the mods delete postings from (and ideally ban) anybody who mentions by name any of the unemployable non-entities offering themselves up as further grist to the mill of celebrity non-talent?

:P

Move to House Prices and the Economy when it's been on here for a while.

Guest AuntJess
I think it highlights the quality of this forum that there is no thread on here discussing this show.

Please use this thread to state quite how much you despise the dreadful tat that is reality television rather than discussing the merits or otherwise of whoever was on that particular brand of audience participation nonsense.

I; thank you.

Can I also request that the mods delete postings from (and ideally ban) anybody who mentions by name any of the unemployable non-entities offering themselves up as further grist to the mill of celebrity non-talent?

:P

Move to House Prices and the Economy when it's been on here for a while.

Whilst I appreciate the sentiments you express here, I can't believe you think that HPC is quality due to lack of BGT discussion. There are a fair few inane posts - not to mention threads - which come up. :rolleyes:

FWIW I enjoy real talent shows, but hate the media hysteria which nearly always surrounds them.

Whilst I appreciate the sentiments you express here, I can't believe you think that HPC is quality due to lack of BGT discussion. There are a fair few inane posts - not to mention threads - which come up. :rolleyes:

FWIW I enjoy real talent shows, but hate the media hysteria which nearly always surrounds them.

10/10 for admirable restraint Aunt Jess, given your past as a singing teacher.

Inane threads? Well a few.

Guest AuntJess
10/10 for admirable restraint Aunt Jess, given your past as a singing teacher.

Inane threads? Well a few.

I was not a singing teacher, rather I come from a musical family.I taught Psychology, and Counselling in FE/HE, and practiced what I preached. :P

Mother sang in Am Dram, father played the piano - by ear - sister has sung on the professional, semi-professional and amateur stage. I had singing lessons in my teens from a retired professional operatic diva. Musical talents go back at least three generations.

FWIW Susan Boyle has a pleasant voice, but nowt to go hysterical about. Holly Steel on t'other hand, has the makings of a coloratura soprano - if she takes care never to smoke.

See! I couldn't restrain myself after all! :P

I was not a singing teacher, rather I come from a musical family.I taught Psychology, and Counselling in FE/HE, and practiced what I preached. :P

Mother sang in Am Dram, father played the piano - by ear - sister has sung on the professional, semi-professional and amateur stage. I had singing lessons in my teens from a retired professional operatic diva. Musical talents go back at least three generations.

FWIW Susan Boyle has a pleasant voice, but nowt to go hysterical about. Holly Steel on t'other hand, has the makings of a coloratura soprano - if she takes care never to smoke.

See! I couldn't restrain myself after all! :P

gw_bush_disappoint_0112.jpg

I watched a whole BGT programme one day last week. It was an attempt to understand what makes this country tick.

It left me completely demoralised. When this sort of dross is played out nightly and regurgitated in the so called quality press, we are surely doomed.

A missile from North Korea would be doing us a favour.

.....and just to cheer us further the Gordan Brown is spewing his filth on Andrew Marr

You miserable ba5tard

Last night was quality. Would Subo freak out, would the little girl have a live nervous breakdown, would Amanda Holden's tits stay in her dress?

You're probably one of those people who like Taggart, let some light hearted entertainment into your life and start smiling

Diversity FTW!

You miserable ba5tard

Last night was quality. Would Subo freak out, would the little girl have a live nervous breakdown, would Amanda Holden's tits stay in her dress?

You're probably one of those people who like Taggart, let some light hearted entertainment into your life and start smiling

Diversity FTW!

Mods - I've caught one for you!

Frank, I wish you hadn't started this thread. It's not good. I'm trying to quit smoking, and in order to do that I need to keep my stress levels down.

The tackiness and general crapness of shows like Britain's Got Talent is a symptom of a deeper malaise: specifically, ITV is toast, and the public no longer demand standards - they simply accept any old guff that's piped into their homes

It is no wonder no bugger watches ITV anymore, and that the channel's losing advertising revenue. It's nothing to do with the recession, or increased competition, or whatever other reason Michael Grade would have us believe. It is because ITV makes BAD PROGRAMMES. ITV is the Daily Star of the television channels. The fact that ITV is soon to become a shopping channel at night tells you everything you need to know about the rotten direction the channel is taking.

Britain's Got Talent, The X Factor, I'm A Celebrity, etc, etc. All cheap to make, and pandering to the viewers' worst predilections: gossip, and the hollow joy of watching someone else make a tit of themselves.

The other channels aren't perfect, but: BBC1, in fairness, is brilliant at natural history; BBC2 has The Wire and Have I Got News For You; Channel 4 screens well-written contemporary dramas like Shameless and Skins; Channel 5 has CSI and Law & Order.

BGT was a bit of short lived good family fun, not worth much discussion was it, like a big mac n fries.

I prefer these sort of talent shows every now and again for mind bubblegum, rather than the sort from the 'professionals' in the 70's and 80's iirc.

Is there anything wrong in a good old mix?

BGT one night, newsnight another, etc etc.

Too much telly is not good for me, like too much of any one thing. Which reminds me, it's sunny outside and I'm here on HPC. B)

I broadly agree, and opened this thread reluctantly, fearing the worst.

It's certainly been an eye opener on other forums showing the number of people that watch such drivel, and even defend it with retorts to the few doubters like "12 million people disagree with you" and "50% viewing of the share of viewing". The sad thing is, the retorts were worryingly accurate. I'd rather sit here with the TV off than watch BGT - or most of ITVs output.

And then the shock of intelligent friends updating their Facebook status telling everyone they've voted for multiple BGT contestants. :wacko:

Brain dead, brain washed, dumbed down Britain, methinks. But "they" are winning and I can't see it going any other way.

Guest AuntJess
BGT was a bit of short lived good family fun, not worth much discussion was it, like a big mac n fries.

I prefer these sort of talent shows every now and again for mind bubblegum, rather than the sort from the 'professionals' in the 70's and 80's iirc.

Is there anything wrong in a good old mix?

BGT one night, newsnight another, etc etc.

Too much telly is not good for me, like too much of any one thing. Which reminds me, it's sunny outside and I'm here on HPC. B)

+1 :D Just popped in to put some sun cream on!

Guest AuntJess
It really says Britain to me.

Middle age white woman beaten by a gang of hoodie wearers under the name of diversity.

:lol:

Hoodie wearers doesn't quite describe a group of students who work hard and are enormously creative tho', now, does it? :huh:

It really says Britain to me.

Middle age white woman beaten by a gang of hoodie wearers under the name of diversity.

:lol:

was good that a singer didnt win it again , already enough bloody singers about

very good analogy!! :rolleyes:

Reality TV is:

packed full of processed garbage,and questionable nutritional value,just like most junk food.

the occasional one won't hurt,but when it becomes a staple diet you end up with health problems!!

They tried to badge it as a "variety" show - but my ar$e was it...How many singers did they have on there? I lost count..

The dancing dog should have won.

Dancing dogs should always win. They're great.

Imagine if it had worn a hat and a dickie bow too. TV Heaven right there!

logo.gif

Holly Steel on t'other hand, has the makings of a coloratura soprano - if she takes care never to smoke.

I'd be more worried about the potential damage she is doing to her voice by trying to sing like an adult. She could indeed make it as a coloratura soprano, but I suspect she'll be dragged around the country to milk the publicity she has had from this show. She should be wrapped in cotton wool and go back to singing "Castle on a Cloud".

I think that the worrying factor is that 20M did watch it!

Drug the masses with this level of crap, 'reality shows' and celebrity nonsense and they will not ask any questions about why the country has gone to the dogs.

Next we have Big Brother that collection of a cross section of the UK population - my ****! Just a group of attention seeking wiedos and wannabes.

AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

It drives me mad! Am I the only one to see this?

"Let's forget obout corrupt MPs, falling property prices, the economy nose-diving, rising unemployment and crime, weren't those hoodie boys just great!"

Guest AuntJess
The dancing dog should have won.

Dancing dogs should always win. They're great.

Imagine if it had worn a hat and a dickie bow too. TV Heaven right there!

logo.gif

Remember Kate and Gin? She was a luvlee doggie. :wub: I wanted them to win last year. ^_^

You're the only one who watches it and lets it bother him :lol: Just turn it off.

Well yeah good point.

Who is more stupid - those that watch it and enjoy it, or those that hate it yet still watch it?

I hate self righteous threads like this. People spouting off their opinion of others................. as if any cares what you think.

Running around as fast as you can, or throwing things as far as you can is hardly high brow intelligent TV, yet, I dont remember any threads saying how stupid people are for watching the Olympics.

It drives me mad! Am I the only one to see this?

You're not the only one....

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showb...Got-Talent.html

BRITAIN'S Got Talent sensation Susan Boyle was in the Priory clinic last night suffering from exhaustion.

The singer, dubbed SuBo, had an "emotional breakdown" following Saturday's final in which she was runner-up.

But the talent show favourite was still eyeing a mega United States tour.

The 48-year-old virgin, tipped to earn £8MILLION, survived tears and a tantrum to finish second in Saturday's gripping final of telly's Britain's Got Talent.

But the pressure finally told late yesterday as the Scots singer - dubbed SuBo by fans - was rushed to the private clinic suffering from exhaustion.

Show aides had contacted police to say she was acting strangely at her London hotel.

Paramedics helped the "spaced-out" star through the lobby and into an ambulance just after 6pm.

A Met Police Inspector and a police doctor were called to assist. The ambulance, tailed by a police car, then took her to the Priory in Southgate, North London.

A source at the hotel said last night: "She'd been at the hotel for a few days, but since Saturday's final had been acting strangely, causing a bit of a stir.