House Price Crash Forum

Paternity Leave Scheme Shelved By Lord Mandelson

HOLA441

Paternity leave scheme shelved by Lord Mandelson

PLANS to allow parents to share a year’s paid maternity leave have been shelved by Lord Mandelson after complaints from businesses.

The pledge, contained in Labour’s manifesto at the last election, would have given fathers six months’ paid leave to look after a baby, allowing mothers to return to work early. Ministers also promised to extend paid maternity leave from nine to 12 months.

The plans were seen as a key plank of Labour’s family-friendly agenda, giving parents more flexibility on who looked after the children.

They would also have allowed people in lesbian and gay civil partnerships to share maternity leave.

The proposals were applauded by family groups and championed by the government’s equality ministers, including Harriet Harman, the deputy Labour leader.

However, they were sharply criticised by small firms which complained that they would cost too much and create more red tape.

A spokesman for Mandelson’s business department said it was now reviewing the proposals and the plans to introduce the rights this year were on hold.

“We have not yet announced a date for extending maternity and paternity rights,†he said. “We are continuing to review the appropriateness of all new regulations due to come into force in the current economic climate.

“It is only right that in tough economic times we look afresh at the costs and benefits of new regulations.â€

The decision to shelve the plans was condemned by women’s and fathers’ groups. Fathers are now entitled to only two weeks’ paternity leave.

Katherine Rake, director of the Fawcett Society, which campaigns for more women in public life, said: “It looks like Peter Mandelson is undermining the equalities agenda again. He cannot use the recession as an excuse to roll back hard-won commitments to mums and dads.

“They will be hugely disappointed if ministers fail to deliver their commitment to deliver more paternity leave for dads.â€

Meanwhile, the House of Commons is to consider giving women MPs greater maternity rights and childcare vouchers to encourage more women to take up politics.

Although women MPs with young babies continue to receive their salary, many take no formal leave and have to juggle childcare and their political roles.

Women with new babies are still called into vote at Westminster and many continue to carry out constituency work.

They are not entitled to claim for childcare on expenses and, unlike other office workers, they are also not entitled to receive vouchers for childcare.

Good old Mandelslime.

HOLA442

I'm bloody glad he's shelved it as well. Good decision, for once. As a childless bloke in his thirties, I don't want my employability soiled with the prospect of me ******ing off for six months on full pay to change a few nappies and bore friends and relatives rigid with stories of nappy rash and oddly coloured excrement.

HOLA443
I'm bloody glad he's shelved it as well. Good decision, for once. As a childless bloke in his thirties, I don't want my employability soiled with the prospect of me ******ing off for six months on full pay to change a few nappies and bore friends and relatives rigid with stories of nappy rash and oddly coloured excrement.

Hehe. He said excrement. Hehe, hehe, hehe...

But seriously, why should fathers not get to spend time with their newborns? Another broken manifesto promise.

Bye bye Labour.

HOLA444

Considering house prices require both parents to work how does one take off time to care for a kid.

I presume from this thread that a mother gets 9 months off but then what? The kid looks after itself?

Your looking at the age of 5 before you can work as they are in school.

Childcare?

Why? So the state can tax you to work at your job and someone else to look after your kid?

I'm not saying employers should fund mothers for 5 years but the current system has got to change one way or another or natures pension system of kids will be broke. Hopefully it will be via a LOT cheaper houses.

HOLA445

Only the very poor and very rich will get to breed.

Result:

Even I'm not stupid enough to spell that out any further.