House Price Crash Forum

5 Years On Hpc And Signing Off ?

HOLA441

Just in case anyone is interested I was persuaded to buy a house yesterday by Mrs BF. Now before you start giving me a hard time let me explain that:

1. We have just purchased ( well offer accepted ) a dilapidated two bed bungalow. This is, for us, a self build project. I really wanted a virgin site but even now a good one where you want it, is hard to come by so we've settled for sticking another floor on a bungalow. Building yourself works out a whole lot cheaper than buying 'ready made.' The site is almost ideal for our needs / wants - they don't come up very often.

2. We did negotiate 16% off the asking.

3. We are lucky enough that we can afford it without any borrowing.

4. Our children are growing up fast and I wanted to them to have bedrooms that they can decorate themselves and a dog.

5. I want to stay married to Mrs BF !

6. I accept that we will probably loose money on this ( possibly a six figure sum ) but somethings are more important than money.

7. I have been biding my time for 5 years now and I'm not getting any younger.

8. For what its worth I am still convinced prices have a way to go - probably another 20-30%. I accept/ expect that we will take a hit. What's happening now is a suckers rally - I have no doubt about that.

9. Mrs BF ( works in local EAs) tells me that they are begining to put deals together and sales are being made albeit at much reduced prices. Buyers are almost exclusively cash buyers.

10. Where we are prices have come down 20-30% - no question. Some vendors are in denial but their properties stick out like sore thumbs and just sit in the agents windows gathering dust.

Thank you to all I have had the pleasure of 'conversing' with over the years. I have learnt a huge amount from the posters on this site and you all ( well the bears anyway ) have been vindicated.

To the speculators and rampers I say get a life / real job - do something worthwhile and productive , stop sponging off the young and generations to come.

To young potential FTBs I say hang on in there - although we might experience a bit of a pause due to freakishly low interest rates, printing of money and a suckers rally - your time will come - interest rates are going one way only, so too taxes and unemployment. Moving sharply in the opposite direction will be disposasble incomes and house prices.

Although I post infrequently I have read this site virtually every day for the last 5 years, so now I think I need to give it a break.

I will be back with updates from Mrs BF when / if I have anything interesting to report.

Good luck to you all .............

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Just in case anyone is interested I was persuaded to buy a house yesterday by Mrs BF. Now before you start giving me a hard time let me explain that:

1. We have just purchased ( well offer accepted ) a dilapidated two bed bungalow. This is, for us, a self build project. I really wanted a virgin site but even now a good one where you want it, is hard to come by so we've settled for sticking another floor on a bungalow. Building yourself works out a whole lot cheaper than buying 'ready made.' The site is almost ideal for our needs / wants - they don't come up very often.

4. Our children are growing up fast and I wanted to them to have bedrooms that they can decorate themselves and a dog.

6. I accept that we will probably loose money on this ( possibly a six figure sum ) but somethings are more important than money.

8. For what its worth I am still convinced prices have a way to go - probably another 20-30%. I accept/ expect that we will take a hit. What's happening now is a suckers rally - I have no doubt about that.

9. Mrs BF ( works in local EAs) tells me that they are begining to put deals together and sales are being made albeit at much reduced prices. Buyers are almost exclusively cash buyers.

10. Where we are prices have come down 20-30% - no question. Some vendors are in denial but their properties stick out like sore thumbs and just sit in the agents windows gathering dust.

Thank you to all I have had the pleasure of 'conversing' with over the years. I have learnt a huge amount from the posters on this site and you all ( well the bears anyway ) have been vindicated.

To the speculators and rampers I say get a life / real job - do something worthwhile and productive , stop sponging off the young and generations to come.

To young potential FTBs I say hang on in there - although we might experience a bit of a pause due to freakishly low interest rates, printing of money and a suckers rally - your time will come - interest rates are going one way only, so too taxes and unemployment. Moving sharply in the opposite direction will be disposasble incomes and house prices.

Although I post infrequently I have read this site virtually every day for the last 5 years, so now I think I need to give it a break.

I will be back with updates from Mrs BF when / if I have anything interesting to report.

So you'll be living in a caravan without an internet connection?

Anyway, best of luck!

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Good luck, you are right to be doing it, it is a home and not an investment and I particularly relate to your children wanting their own bedrooms, personalised, I have 10 year old twins and this will be a factor when I do buy, and while I am going to continue waiting, I am not neccessarily waiting for rock bottom.

Thanks for the posts, I learnt a lot from you.

HOLA4411

Goodbye old timer.....best of luck with the build!

HOLA4412

Thank you for all your enlightening input over the years and good luck to you both...we are also selling and hoping to buy. HPC has done us no harm we now can sell for less and buy for even less...all that my children can hope for is to buy a home and have a job to call their own without breaking the bank working and living like a slave beyond retirement, the way I could 15 years ago...

This government has only made the rich and lazy better off, to do this they have stolen the money from the workers. :ph34r:

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

If Mrs BF works in an EA's you never stood a chance mate

Well done for holding out this long

You must have balls of steel!

:lol:

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Don't we all.

Good luck. Although I have to say. -16% ?

Poor show. Must do better.

Have fun in the new hoose. Keep posting though.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Are you playing with the original structure or total demolition? If starting again I believe it counts as new build and you can reclaim all the VAT at the end which might actually be cheaper.

Good luck with it anyway!

HOLA4419

;)

Grandma Rinoa always said you can't go wrong with bricks and mortar.

Buying just as the crash ends is pure genius.

Good luck BF.

:rolleyes:

See below.

HOLA4420

4. 'Our children are growing up fast and I wanted to them to have bedrooms that they can decorate themselves and a dog.'

What colour are the kids painting the dog? I wish you all the best, well done, congratulations. Shame about the dog though!

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425