Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Gustave

Investing An Str Fund

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, Darby Ram said:

This is a great reference for global value indicators. http://www.starcapital.de/research/stockmarketvaluation

The UK is in the middle of the pack.

To be in the middle of the pack is good isn't it, at least you have some semblance of law and order and your company isn't going to get Requisitioned...well not until 2022 anyway. Also the UK market valuation is distorted by the multinationals.....you know the Royal Dutch shells,  Imperial Brands and Glaxos with eye watering valuations. Yes some are cyclical, but fifty plus is still fifty plus. Then you  get good  UK domestic stocks which are down there with the dogs of the world....single figure price to earnings and yields up in the 6 to 7% region because we are all going to starve post Brexit.

Perhaps it's best not to try and beat our Metro elite masters and join them. Houses will always be their main pre-occupation and Equity the enemy when it comes to policy.

Edited by crashmonitor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

To be in the middle of the pack is good isn't it, at least you have some semblance of law and order and your company isn't going to get Requisitioned...well not until 2022 anyway. Also the UK market valuation is distorted by the multinationals.....you know the Royal Dutch shells,  Imperial Brands and Glaxos with eye watering valuations. Yes some are cyclical, but fifty plus is still fifty plus. Then you  get good  UK domestic stocks which are down there with the dogs of the world....single figure price to earnings and yields up in the 6 to 7% region because we are all going to starve post Brexit.

Perhaps it's best not to try and beat our Metro elite masters and join them. Houses will always be their main pre-occupation and Equity the enemy when it comes to policy.

Yes, it's pretty good on balance: relatively sane valuations, plus decent investing environment = a safe-ish bet for the future. The same is true of a lot of European markets now.

The reason I like that site is imagining a future where I'm rich enough to invest new money in the riskiest/best value stock markets to juice my returns. :D

(Edit: I suppose the downside of UK investing is that, multi-nationals aside, it is more correlated to your income than other equity markets are, so that's a good reason to avoid home bias.) 

Edited by Darby Ram

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wish I could afford one said:

Do you want return of capital or return on capital while acknowledging you might get less back than you started with?

return of capital would be the main priority, inflation beating returns would be nice to have. Difficult times I think, just wondered how people thought the original approach would have changed. Just as I was looking to start p2p lending they seem to be getting trickier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pmgdawau said:

return of capital would be the main priority, inflation beating returns would be nice to have. Difficult times I think, just wondered how people thought the original approach would have changed. Just as I was looking to start p2p lending they seem to be getting trickier.

Return of capital is not going to beat inflation.  You're looking for 3 savings accounts with different FSCS banking licences then keep less than £85k in each.  Maybe do some stoozing on the current accounts that pay a high rate of interest on a small amount provided you do certain things if you're so inclined.  Maybe some NS&I product or other.  Otherwise that's about it.

The home purchase part of my wealth is in 2 x savings accounts with 1 paying 1.25% and 1 paying 1.0%.  NS&I ILSC's but they're no longer available.  I also have some RateSetter P2P where I've managed 4.5% since 2014 but I acknowledge and accept capital is at risk here.  If you did want to spice it up and were prepared to risk £5k of it I have a code which would give you £100 and me £50 if you invested.  Just IM me.

Good luck with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/10/2017 at 2:01 PM, anonlymouse said:

Don't sell to rent, you're trying to time the market and that's nigh on impossible. Come to think of it, should this place actually be called housingmarkettiming.co.uk

I’ve sold to rent.. mainly though as my flat sold for 230k, 3 bed house 400k+.. was too much of a jump.. got 3 kids so flat could not continue it was getting depressing.. got some money, no debt so if it goes down I’m in.. if it doesn’t I’m gone.. see my little house in the middle of no where, fresh air, no traffic, no gun and knife crime or terrorists.. in fact they should be paying me to live in this third world we have created! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, macca13 said:

I’ve sold to rent.. mainly though as my flat sold for 230k, 3 bed house 400k+.. was too much of a jump.. got 3 kids so flat could not continue it was getting depressing.. got some money, no debt so if it goes down I’m in.. if it doesn’t I’m gone.. see my little house in the middle of no where, fresh air, no traffic, no gun and knife crime or terrorists.. in fact they should be paying me to live in this third world we have created! 

How long you lasted so far? I did the same last August and have just offered on a do-er-upper I think is a worthwhile punt. I’ve spent over 15k on rent and the house I sold is back on the market for 20% more than I sold it for. I just can’t see an end to the madness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   328 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.