House Price Crash Forum
Bloo Loo

Gm And Vauxhall May Have Fallen For A Trap

just on R4, cant keep up with all the names, but basically, a Canadian parts Co, backed by a Russian bailed out bank, and a Russian business leader, whos business is crippled with huge debt, are doing a deal to get, German government money, over 1.3bn GBP to rescue Opel and Vauxhall.

now, kick me if im a little sceptical, but if I was a bailed bank, a bankrupted business leader looking for cash, and I saw 1.3bn on a table for some promises I could make... what would I do......make promises???

Governments.....they are unfit to deal with business.

just on R4, cant keep up with all the names, but basically, a Canadian parts Co, backed by a Russian bailed out bank, and a Russian business leader, whos business is crippled with huge debt, are doing a deal to get, German government money, over 1.3bn GBP to rescue Opel and Vauxhall.

now, kick me if im a little sceptical, but if I was a bailed bank, a bankrupted business leader looking for cash, and I saw 1.3bn on a table for some promises I could make... what would I do......make promises???

Said Russian business leader and bank are probably in hoc to German banks for a large proportion of that indebtedness...

OMG we've fallen into a TARP, sorry I mean trap.

Beware! - Phoenix Venture Holdings might get jealous............. & all of Luton may end up as a housing estate, rather than just the non-GM part i

Is said business leader the same one that Mandy met on that yacht?

I beleive he is something to do with a russian car maker called "Gaz"??? who had something to do with LDV....its all a bit confused.

Move along, nothing to see. The UK car industry has had bailouts like this every few years since at least the 1970s. Look at the long succession of owners giving British Leyland a rebranding and a couple of years life in return for the taxpayer money to give themselves a Fred-Goodwin-size fortune.

Come to think of it ... isn't BMW the current owner of that racket? Maybe the German motor industry really hasn't been a bottomless pit like ours for as long as anyone can remember, and something is new to them.

Guest sillybear2
Move along, nothing to see. The UK car industry has had bailouts like this every few years since at least the 1970s. Look at the long succession of owners giving British Leyland a rebranding and a couple of years life in return for the taxpayer money to give themselves a Fred-Goodwin-size fortune.

Yup, Mandelson should don some flares, apart from the names nothing has really changed, we've gone from BMC > 'The Austin' > Rover > MG Rover > Jaguar/Land Rover. I think the actual cars themselves are just the by-product of an obscure industrial and political process, it's almost as if they don't matter.

Speaking of BMW, they've doubled their capacity since 1999, so either worldwide demand needs to recover fast back to boom era MEW levels or they'll be going down market having to compete directly with the likes of OPEL or Ford, or they'll have to shut half their factories.

Edited by sillybear2

This government isn't interested in finding long term sustainable solutions to anything other than their time in power. Deals like this will be sufficient to get them at least to the general election, just like all their other shoddy short term economic policies.

We should have a general election NOW.

Beware! - Phoenix Venture Holdings might get jealous............. & all of Luton may end up as a housing estate

Or it could end up like Ford's Dagenham site - being converted into a mega-prison! Service economy donchaknow.

This government isn't interested in finding long term sustainable solutions to anything other than their time in power. Deals like this will be sufficient to get them at least to the general election, just like all their other shoddy short term economic policies.

We should have a general election NOW.

I thought that was the nature of politics short policies for political gain and sod the long term.

I thought that was the nature of politics short policies for political gain and sod the long term.

You total realisitc cynic you!!

This government isn't interested in finding long term sustainable solutions to anything other than their time in power.
They know how long they can stay in power with relative ease - until the next election, which they know they'll lose! Edited by blankster

It's turning into an exact rerun of the MG/Rover sell off. Just as in the UK the, German government is faced with two options

Sane option from people with real experience of the industrty - major restructuring, close all non profitable/weak

divisions, create much smaller proitable business with a long term future = lots of immediate job losses

Insane option from a bunch of chancers - use dowery to keep things going, no doubt while siphoning off much of

the money into the parent company = limited initial job losses followed by (if the overall economy turns sharply up) either

sell off to another company who will implement option 1 or (much more likely) bankrupcy and sell of of modern equipment

intellectual property rights etc for peanuts to a Chinese or Malaysian company.

Given those choices any democratic party facing elections will go for option 2 presented as "SAVING JOBS". In this case when failure comes the government will even have the option of blaming it all on a betrayal of German workers by foreigners.

I'd always thought the Magna bid was a crazy idea

now it just looks scary

the main shareholder will be Sberbank, a Russian bank mainly owned by the Russian central bank - WTF!!!!!!

I think you're bang on the nail. There's not much governments won't do in the name of expediency.

So they get $1.3bn on Monday but it's gone by Friday !

This is peanuts when you look at it and they will need a lot more than this just to free up supplies from partners who they own for goods.

i see Mandy is up to his tricks with his russian friend again not that one of our so called MP's will point the finger because they are all on the take.

It's turning into an exact rerun of the MG/Rover sell off. Just as in the UK the, German government is faced with two options

Sane option from people with real experience of the industrty - major restructuring, close all non profitable/weak

divisions, create much smaller proitable business with a long term future = lots of immediate job losses

Insane option from a bunch of chancers - use dowery to keep things going, no doubt while siphoning off much of

the money into the parent company = limited initial job losses followed by (if the overall economy turns sharply up) either

sell off to another company who will implement option 1 or (much more likely) bankrupcy and sell of of modern equipment

intellectual property rights etc for peanuts to a Chinese or Malaysian company.

Given those choices any democratic party facing elections will go for option 2 presented as "SAVING JOBS". In this case when failure comes the government will even have the option of blaming it all on a betrayal of German workers by foreigners.

+1

Playing double or quits with jobs and crossing their fingers. Even the Fiat deal was audacious, but a much more sensible plan with a potential world sized efficient multinational at the end of the day. Total car production in Europe has to be cut. By not allowing Fiat to cull the excess in Germany, the Germans have just increased the risk to Daimler, VW, et al.

In this case when failure comes the government will even have the option of blaming it all on a betrayal of German workers by foreigners.

Absolutely! This is a Pontius Pilate washing of hands and blame-shifting if ever I saw one.

As was just said on the news this is all about politics not economics.

The Russians now own General Motors (well the European bit).

The Russians now own General Motors (well the European bit).
Comrade, there is suddenly a three-year waiting list for an Astra, & I have to pay now.

Up to this morning I could get one immediately & pay nothing.

What went wrong?

Guest sillybear2
So they get $1.3bn on Monday but it's gone by Friday !

Rover got over £1b from BMW when they dropped them in 2000, and they were tiny compared to OPEL.