House Price Crash Forum
Mikhail Liebenstein

Polly Toynbee - Good Point For Once On Newsnight

Although it's not really either/or bankers and MPs. It's bankers and MPs etc together being so crooked.

Edited by billybong

Typically c r a p point from Polly Bitchfeatures.

We do the MP’s now because we have the evidence. Moving forward with the momentum from that we investigate the bankers to see if we have any evidence against them and I bet we do.

We have no need of guillotines. Horrid French rubbish.

All we need is due process, honestly and honourably applied in the straightforward British tradition.

Typically c r a p point from Polly Bitchfeatures.

We do the MP’s now because we have the evidence. Moving forward with the momentum from that we investigate the bankers to see if we have any evidence against them and I bet we do.

We have no need of guillotines. Horrid French rubbish.

All we need is due process, honestly and honourably applied in the straightforward British tradition.

Spot on. Perhaps Polly is trying to distract us from the MP's expense row <_< :angry: :angry:

Plus we get upset about MPs expenses because the principle that they represent the people is key; if they represent themselves alone then we have a problem.

I expect no better of bankers, the fault lies with those charged with regulating them who let them get away with it.

Polly is really just airing her usual hatred of anything associated with business. The fact that in this case she's got a target most would agree with is incidental.

Please forgive me for being vague. I am using the word “banker†as in betting parlance as in “dead certâ€.

"This gee is a banker guv'nor, honest."

I used to lose a certain amount of money on them.

A good friend of mine once told me the only person who loved me more than my girlfirend was my bookie.

I feel certain Bitchfeatures is trying to deflect attention away from her buddies in New Labour and onto the bankers.

Just as you pointed out.

Please forgive me for being vague. I am using the word “banker†as in betting parlance as in “dead certâ€.

"This gee is a banker guv'nor, honest."

I used to lose a certain amount of money on them.

A good friend of mine once told me the only person who loved me more than my girlfirend was my bookie.

I feel certain Bitchfeatures is trying to deflect attention away from her buddies in New Labour and onto the bankers.

Just as you pointed out.

I thought you meant a dead cert but then I had the horrible feeling you thought I may have been a banker. I only joined yesterday and I don't want that kind of label. I sure people will think of something else to call me

The difference between bankers and w a n k e r s is that bankers may not be very popular just now, just like estate agents and drug dealers but everyone needs a good estate agent and a decent dealer from time to time, whereas w an k e r s , we’re all w a n k e r s but not everyone needs us ever.

The banks didn't force loans into the hands of the feckless.

Our banking system does force us collectively to borrow from it 97% of our means of exchange and to pay interest on this.

There is no good a priori reason why we should have to do this.

Our present money system benefits the bankers and the politicians and facilitates the exploitation of the productive by the parasitic.

We could arrange perfectly well our own scrupulously and transparently managed, permanently circulating, debt-free means of exchange.

http://www.moneyreformparty.org.uk/

"Our banking system does force us collectively to borrow from it 97% of our means of exchange and to pay interest on this"

“And the little dog laughed to see such fun and the cow jumped over the moon.â€

Isn’t that how it goes?

Our banking system does force us collectively to borrow from it 97% of our means of exchange and to pay interest on this.

Who was forced and what were the means? No one has ever been forced to take a loan.

MPs forced us to pay for their shite.

didnt they?

didnt banks help to engender FEAR in the populace. FEAR that they would NEVER be able to buy a home, FEAR that they are missing out on unimaginable profits, FEAR that everyone else would laugh at them,

coercion is force by the back door....blackmail if you will.

Whilst I would not want to lose focus on the MPs it should never be forgotten that Sir Fred Goodwin played an instrumental part in formenting the financial disaster that has cost many of us our jobs and pensions and has robbed our futures.

His reward £706,000 p.a.

I feel very bitter about this and would like to see him suffer for what he has done. The whole lot of them have made monkeys of us and must be laughing like drains as they dance amongst the wreckage they have caused.

Whilst I used to despise benefit cheats and cash in hand tax evaders, I now wish them good luck. When this country is finally dragged down into the filth maybe the scum will reap what thay have sown.

No, and the drug pusher outside the school gates doesn't force smack into the hands of teenage kids. It doesn't make him any less of a scumbag though, does it?

IMO the banks have been occupying very much the same moral territory.

Who was forced and what were the means? No one has ever been forced to take a loan.

I think people have been forced to take loans when 2 adults working full time does not bring the income to

have a reasonable standard of living.

They have been forced to take out loans because they are receiving less and less

income from working over the last 30 years.

Not by way of direct threat, but certainly by psychology based persuasion they did, something the law is yet to catch on to.

didnt they?

didnt banks help to engender FEAR in the populace. FEAR that they would NEVER be able to buy a home, FEAR that they are missing out on unimaginable profits, FEAR that everyone else would laugh at them,

coercion is force by the back door....blackmail if you will.

Afraid I do not agree with this. Yes, the bankers provided the loans to people to buy property that the banks retrospectively realise might not pay them back. Clearly some were blinkered, often deliberately so, and some brokers were downright dishonest to arranging unsuitable loans.

However, while the banks provided the key ingredient of easy credit, they did not provide the fear that you talk of. That came from countless television programmes, newspaper articles on ways to get a foot on the ladder, buy-to-let speculators buying FTB properties and general dinner party/pub/water cooler chit chat. This all contributed to the headlong rush to get on the ladder at any cost.

Most of the people on this site saw this and did not feel forced into buying a property and expected it all to end like this, in one way or another.

Afraid I do not agree with this. Yes, the bankers provided the loans to people to buy property that the banks retrospectively realise might not pay them back. Clearly some were blinkered, often deliberately so, and some brokers were downright dishonest to arranging unsuitable loans.

However, while the banks provided the key ingredient of easy credit, they did not provide the fear that you talk of. That came from countless television programmes, newspaper articles on ways to get a foot on the ladder, buy-to-let speculators buying FTB properties and general dinner party/pub/water cooler chit chat. This all contributed to the headlong rush to get on the ladder at any cost.

Most of the people on this site saw this and did not feel forced into buying a property and expected it all to end like this, in one way or another.

sure, they didnt do it on their own. they got their sales legions to help, as you say, the media, brokers, finance for builders, and the biggest help of all...the Government.

Yes of course, no individual is overtly forced to borrow.

However if suddenly everyone stopped borrowing then the money supply would shrink rapidly and the real economy would very soon grind to a halt.

Under the present regime of debt-based, commercially issued money, society as a whole is forced to borrow at interest from the banking system.

Our whole economy functions almost exclusively on borrowed money, and in that very real sense borrowing is indeed compulsory.

Didn't the newspaper that she writes for also take part in some of the most loathsome property ramping?

I'm sure she has indirectly benefited from the misery of others.

Bitch.

Edited by Sir Jack Daw