House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Architects To Axe 65 Jobs

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Architects-t...jobs.5310359.jp

ONE of Sheffield's most successful firms of architects is to make 65 staff redundant after funding for the government's further education building scheme ran out.

Bond Bryan architects, which previously employed 170 staff at its offices in Sheffield and Kent, has launched a redundancy consultation with staff after the Learning and Skills Council pulled the plug on funding for college rebuilding projects around the UK.

The firm, which has offices on Springvale Road, Crookes, and has worked on developments all over the country, including some striking projects in Sheffield city centre, said the redundancies were the result of the LSC's 'botched' college building programme.

An inquiry in April found management failures at the LSC and the government's poor grasp of the situation led to the crash of the multi-million pound rebuilding programme. The funding crisis, which has affected Barnsley College, means there is only enough money to rebuild 25 out of the 79 colleges earmarked for improvements across the country.

Bond Bryan MD Jonathan Herbert said: "This is extremely regrettable. We will be losing highly creative, hard-working professionals, a number with many years' service at Bond Bryan. When we won these contracts we were repeatedly warned that we had to have the resources to meet the highly ambitious timescales.

"Now a proportion of our income has evaporated. We are a strong, financially stable company, unfortunately the only way to remain strong is to take this action."

He said despite the economic downturn, the workload in other sectors remained 'healthy.' Bond Bryan had won new contracts elsewhere in the education sector including a project to build the Shirebrook Academy and Stubbin Wood SEN School in Derbyshire.

Govt running out of money???

I wonder how many private sector companies, dependent upon public sector money, are going to go like this one though?

Much easier to pull the funding to such companies than pull funding to a school, hospital or whatever?

I wonder how many private sector companies, dependent upon public sector money, are going to go like this one though?

Much easier to pull the funding to such companies than pull funding to a school, hospital or whatever?

I "posted" pretty much the same comment before but HPC's farm of networked ZX81s played up. It will in time affect schools and hospitals. This is how it works now, they choke funding as high up as possible as it provides political cover. No politician has made anyone redundant you understand, they've just signed off on a recommendation for a revised budget or non-renewal of something; The Right Thing To Do In These Difficult Times. This then passes down the system, what decision makers lower down the hierarchy do is their business and no doubt Sensitive To The Needs Of Local People. The school building programme wasn't at much remove which is why this has come through so quickly. It will take longer to filter through to other areas, thats all and it will be Headteachers and so on doing the firing. Remember though voters: nobody told them to do that, its really very regretable (...just made it impossible for them to do anything else...).

Oh and it will be an absolute blood bath in the pseudo-private sector. I have no doubts about that at all. As it will be everywhere else of course.

Edited by Cogs

Yes,just here in my town the re-vamp of the shopping area has been stopped due to government money being diverted to the homebuyer scheme instead :o .So instead of spending it on economic growth,its going on enslaving FTBers in over valued boxes.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/loca...ite_funds_blow/

I "posted" pretty much the same comment before but HPC's farm of networked ZX81s played up. It will in time affect schools and hospitals. This is how it works now, they choke funding as high up as possible as it provides political cover. No politician has made anyone redundant you understand, they've just signed off on a recommendation for a revised budget or non-renewal of something; The Right Thing To Do In These Difficult Times. This then passes down the system, what decision makers lower down the hierarchy do is their business and no doubt Sensitive To The Needs Of Local People. The school building programme wasn't at much remove which is why this has come through so quickly. It will take longer to filter through to other areas, thats all and it will be Headteachers and so on doing the firing. Remember though voters: nobody told them to do that, its really very regretable (...just made it impossible for them to do anything else...).

Oh and it will be an absolute blood bath in the pseudo-private sector. I have no doubts about that at all. As it will be everywhere else of course.

:D:D

I also agree with your post btw.

this is free enterprise in action folks, private firms looking to shed significant proportions of the workforce when public spending pots are no longer available..... :blink:

what was it the tory boys on here like to claim, public sector spending cuts necessary, public sector doesn't create wealth etc. always was utter nonsense. I suppose the high billions spent in health and education have no impact on the private sector, right ? :rolleyes:

This is just one small firm, think of the huge firms who'd be at risk of some serious downsizing if the pots of public sector spend money they're taking advantage of dried up or we saw major cutbacks.

this is free enterprise in action folks, private firms looking to shed significant proportions of the workforce when public spending pots are no longer available..... :blink:

what was it the tory boys on here like to claim, public sector spending cuts necessary, public sector doesn't create wealth etc. always was utter nonsense. I suppose the high billions spent in health and education have no impact on the private sector, right ? :rolleyes:

This is just one small firm, think of the huge firms who'd be at risk of some serious downsizing if the pots of public sector spend money they're taking advantage of dried up or we saw major cutbacks.

Rubbish.

Short term pain yes.But every £ government spends is taken from someone else.That £ left where it was earned would be spent anyway,where the person/company chose.

The difference is people would choose where it was spent and then capital would be allocated in the most productive way.

Governments simply take that wealth and allocate it in the most inefficient way,destroying capital.

Governments have no money,they take it with threat of violence from people who would spend it anyway.

Those notionally 'private' sector firms which depend on taxpayer money are often just as parasitic as the direct public sector. It's certainly not an example of the public sector generating wealth.

This firm of architects got lazy and complacent. Anyone with a modicum of business savvy knows that you NEVER allow a situation where all your income relies on one client.

Getting a wide range of clients on board is hard work and expensive.... clearly our architect friends decided that it was too much effort.

My former firm Ryder Architects has recently shed 35 staff - or around a third. I was shocked to hear that a number of these were highly experienced, well established employees. Those that are left took a 5% pay cut.

But such dramatic staff culls are not isolated to this one firm. Many others in and around the Newcastle area have also made massive staff cuts. I know one is down to just 7 people!