House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
moonriver

"why It's Still Not Time To Buy Property"....

http://www.moneyweek.com/investments/prope...erty-14784.aspx

I especially like the way she finishes off this bearish article.

"For a real recovery to get going now a very large number of people need to have five things: a job; a firm belief that they will still have a job in five years even as unemployment rises over three million; a conviction that you can’t lose in the long term with bricks and mortar; a good £20,000 as a deposit; and most importantly of all, the ability to get a mortgage. Know many people like that? Nor do I."

Merryn's piece quoted in thread 4/4/09, 10th post down

Odd that it should now be in Moneyweek with today's date on it, it was on this site 8 weeks ago!

Looking at that thread closer, it was first published 3/4/09 in the FT.

:unsure: yes that is indeed strange, because I receive a daily email from Moneyweek, and this particular article was listed in today's email, so I assumed it was a new one.

Maybe they thought they would bring attention to it again, in view of today's Nationwide figures?

"For a real recovery to get going now a very large number of people need to have five things: a job; a firm belief that they will still have a job in five years even as unemployment rises over three million; a conviction that you can’t lose in the long term with bricks and mortar; a good £20,000 as a deposit; and most importantly of all, the ability to get a mortgage. Know many people like that? Nor do I."

I think she's lovely - I do

This is just a repeat of her :

Stay Away From Property It has a Lot Further to Fall

I think she's lovely - I do

Ah, female emancipation - equality and judged on what she says, not what she looks like...... seriously...... I've heard she makes a terrible cup of tea....

why on earth is it relevant whether she's pretty or not ?

Had just noticed this earlier. Was hoping for yet more great HPC food but just a repost of the old article.

I have tried to enjoy Merryn in other ways. Still struggling to come to terms with my feeling of loathing but also warm fuzzies for Caroline Flint. I feel dirty inside.

Ah, female emancipation - equality and judged on what she says, not what she looks like...... seriously...... I've heard she makes a terrible cup of tea....

why on earth is it relevant whether she's pretty or not ?

Didn't say it was and didn't say she was pretty I said she was lovely.... oh dear your own home movie is on (see all the NLP threads)

lovely: delightful; highly pleasing: to have a lovely time.

Now lighten up and put that PC claptrap away it's Friday and in the long run we are all dust :P

Had just noticed this earlier. Was hoping for yet more great HPC food but just a repost of the old article.

I have tried to enjoy Merryn in other ways. Still struggling to come to terms with my feeling of loathing but also warm fuzzies for Caroline Flint. I feel dirty inside.

Uuurrggghhh.. Caroline Flint AKA "Chavvicus Moronicus"

Didn't say it was and didn't say she was pretty I said she was lovely.... oh dear your own home movie is on (see all the NLP threads)

lovely: delightful; highly pleasing: to have a lovely time.

Now lighten up and put that PC claptrap away it's Friday and in the long run we are all dust :P

of course you were on about that aspect, not that she's 'pretty'. Come on, it's like a teenage wnkafest over MSW on here at the moment.....

and a very intelligent lady too.

Really? ..same old drivel

'Even the long-term property sceptic, Merryn Somerset-Webb, writing in the Financial Times today feels drawn back into the argument after swearing she wouldn't talk about house prices again after calling the market incorrectly so many times.'

Stuart Law

Give it a rest Merryn.

of course you were on about that aspect, not that she's 'pretty'. Come on, it's like a teenage wnkafest over MSW on here at the moment.....

You are right about the Wnkafest ! It makes a break though from some of the IT wnkafests I get involved in on here! have a good weekend (nice legs though ;) )

Well as a female poster myself, I am not at all interested in attractiveness or not, (and do not read Greg's "lovely" as just meaning "pretty").....

but I stick by my thought that she is intelligent, and should know a bit more about economics than many of the other VI's we usually get in the media....going from this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merryn_Somerset_Webb

"After gaining a first class degree in History & Economics as a senior scholar at the University of Cambridge's Gonville and Caius College, Somerset Webb was awarded a Daiwa scholarship and spent a year studying for a masters degree in Japanese language at the University of London's School of Oriental and African Studies. In 1992, she moved to Japan to continue her Japanese studies and to produce business programmes for NHK, Japan's public television station....."