House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Complete Life Melt-down

I was talking to a friend of mine who is a Counsellor working in the NHS dealing with people suffering from anxiety & depression - stress to you and I.

Apparently, Counsellors across the UK are swamped at the present time and many of them are becoming stressed themselves dealing with the economic fall-out from the corporate meltdown in the economy.

It seems that many people have built their entire lives around their job - ego, status, friendships, marriages - and without their job they are nothing.

Apparently many people are simply devastated by this as they never saw it coming, believed they would be in their careers until their retirement and now, without that career, they have no sense of self and are seeing all the material things they believed in as being nothing - especially as they are losing most of what they worked for.

So people are coming in feeling ill and sick with stress because they have no jobs, because their marriages are falling apart and, the biggie, because they are so much in debt.

What a cr*p society we have created - but did we create it or did these fecks create it for us and drag us all into their mess?

IWhat a cr*p society we have created - but did we create it or did these fecks create it for us and drag us all into their mess?

They made the sh*t sandwich but we ate it.

I didnae touch it!

Suspect the long hours culture doesn't help, nor does the fragmentation of families and communities. Oh, the joys of Globalisation.

It seems that many people have built their entire lives around their job - ego, status, friendships, marriages - and without their job they are nothing.

They should go to a concert...

Well, I'm currently working 3 days a week (not through choice). Now on the financial side this is doable as rent is quite low. However, I would still like to buy a house at some stage so this could pose a problem.

That aside, it is absolutely brilliant. There is a massive improvement in quality of life. Time, relaxation, fitness, seeing my child etc. If it wasn't for house prices being so high I could do this indefinitely. Maybe I will have to.

A close relative of mine (age 63), said in retrospect he wished he'd never left his home town and travelled around the country in a public sector career. Looking back he said that his school friends that did best were those who became tradesmen. They lived all their lives with friends and family around them, never commuted, didn't pay to move house or travel with jobs, knew everyone in the community, and worked where they lived. They didn't earn as much, but then they never had to spend very much with their local lifestyle. My father wished he'd left school at 14 (as they did then), and been self employed all those years.

Anyone who bases their friendships around their job deserves to have their heads felt imo ...

I think that people who don't need their sanity checked. If you have to work (for example, if you weren't lucky enough to be born with silver spoons in every orifice) then you'd be nuts not to do something you love and get paid for it. If you chose not to make friends with the people who surround you every day, I think you're similarly shooting yourself in the foot unnecessarily.

The bad news is that it is uncomfortable when your life changes - the good news is that, broadly speaking, the next life is better than the last.

If i was a Counsellor working in the NHS,i would just tell people to grow a pair.

Perhaps thats why you are not a counsellor in the NHS!!!!!!!!

A close relative of mine (age 63), said in retrospect he wished he'd never left his home town and travelled around the country in a public sector career. Looking back he said that his school friends that did best were those who became tradesmen. They lived all their lives with friends and family around them, never commuted, didn't pay to move house or travel with jobs, knew everyone in the community, and worked where they lived. They didn't earn as much, but then they never had to spend very much with their local lifestyle. My father wished he'd left school at 14 (as they did then), and been self employed all those years.

I think there is a great deal to be said for that. Alas, nowadays often people have no choice - cr*p as it.

I was talking to a friend of mine who is a Counsellor working in the NHS dealing with people suffering from anxiety & depression - stress to you and I.

And what about those of us who couldn't afford to buy the most basic human right, their own house, because of liar loans and state-sponsored HPI? We weren't invited to the party... and now the music has stoppped... oh woe... ever since Aesop's fables and the Book of Genesis, we have been told time and time again to put something away for when the lean years will come... never mind... a few green shoots, HPI takes off again and just wait and see these "anxious and depressed" people start making whoopee like a cripple miraculously cured at Lourdes...

Well, I'm currently working 3 days a week (not through choice). Now on the financial side this is doable as rent is quite low. However, I would still like to buy a house at some stage so this could pose a problem.

That aside, it is absolutely brilliant. There is a massive improvement in quality of life. Time, relaxation, fitness, seeing my child etc. If it wasn't for house prices being so high I could do this indefinitely. Maybe I will have to.

Well, I have done it upside down...I left school at 16 worked full time bar two 6 month breaks for over 30 years brought up a family on my own...now I have finally paid for the house after a long slogg I am now ready and kind of looking forward to having some time to do some of the things I have always wanted to do....I have to say I have enjoyed my work although sometimes I have felt I have been working on overdrive...no regrets and a lot to look forward to, (I hope) nothing in life is guaranteed..one can only try to keep others happy and do their best. ;)

Did they regret so much time in the woodshed learning the banjo and marrying their sister?

Apparently many people are simply devastated by this as they never saw it coming, believed they would be in their careers until their retirement and now, without that career, they have no sense of self and are seeing all the material things they believed in as being nothing - especially as they are losing most of what they worked for.

Tricky one this, I don't see what's wrong with building your life around the work you do, but that''s different from a job, if it's something that you care about and contributes towards the good of others, it's a very healthy feeling.

Now the corporate whore who plays the game for the sake of the material stuff is an entirely different prospect. I don't see how you can form an identity or life around that without wanting to slit something pretty fast. Personally I'm fed up with all this nonsense about chasing money, being the corporate whore and doing it for the company, yeah yeah big I am - it's a carp way to spend your one time on this planet, and if you buy into it you're pretty low.

I remember working for a startup when there were a handful of us, it was fun. I used to do long hours because I was creating something and we were a little unit that went out and played football, down the bar, the work was cool and exciting - it was a fantastic time. It was only when we had "made it" and grew into a mid size company that I realised that the new people we had taken on board weren't like the handful of us who started it up and just played some kind of corporate game for the sake of it. The "HR" people we took on were the worst. What the feck do they do? The moment I decided to leave was when someone in the company couldn't figure out that what I was doing was my hobby. Didn't matter that I had it pretty much made there, I just find it's a waste of time being around those sorts of people, because all they do is try to suck you into their mindless material ways.

Edited by wealthy

To define one's self by one's pocessions, job etc. is madness.

I get the impression that people sometimes become absorbed in trying to adopt a certain well-to-do lifestyle because they don't know what else to do, what else to think about. Being preoccupied in this way stops them from having to ponder the bigger picture. Who the hell are we? Is there a point to life? Can we make one?

A few years ago I had the task of clearing out a relative's house when they passed away. It was packed with all sorts of bits and pieces they'd bought over the years but hardly used, or even looked at....

Nearly all of it just went into the skip....

I get the impression that people sometimes become absorbed in trying to adopt a certain well-to-do lifestyle because they don't know what else to do, what else to think about. Being preoccupied in this way stops them from having to ponder the bigger picture. Who the hell are we? Is there a point to life? Can we make one?

What if that's your job? :lol:

Edited by wealthy

It was only when we had "made it" and grew into a mid size company that I realised that the new people we had taken on board weren't like the handful of us who started it up and just played some kind of corporate game for the sake of it. The "HR" people we took on were the worst. What the feck do they do? The moment I decided to leave was when someone in the company couldn't figure out that what I was doing was my hobby. Didn't matter that I had it pretty much made there, I just find it's a waste of time being around those sorts of people, because all they do is try to suck you into their mindless material ways.

I worked with a US Tech company that was like this to begin with. I left and when I went back it was like the grey suits and grey minds had taken over. They are employed loads of MBAs, HR types, Corporate Comms people and they were all professional bullsh*tters.

The atmosphere was completely different and nothing could be done with endless meetings and filling in the most ******** Prince2 type on-line change forms.

These feckers are like a virus - I think they actually target such organisations as they know they can suck it dry and move on before anyone realises what they have done.

These feckers are like a virus - I think they actually target such organisations as they know they can suck it dry and move on before anyone realises what they have done.

True, that's exactly how I felt about them.

If i was a Counsellor working in the NHS,i would just tell people to grow a pair.

I honestly think the majority of people with issues just need to grow a pair.

These very same people existed 50 years ago. Were there more suicides ? Don't think so.

It is clearly far easier to talk your way out of your issues, than work your way out of your issues.

Hard physical PURPOSEFUL labour would probably get rid of half this nations alleged mental issues overnight.

Get out and work yourself hard. You simply won't have time to worry about how feckin sad you are all day....