House Price Crash Forum

Is Luton A Powder Keg?

HOLA441

If the threat of mass redundancies at the Vauxhall plant happens, it could add a new edge to the rally that we saw there over the week. Could we see Luton as the beginning of wider social unrest?

Edited by Mikesev

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
It is. You don't.

(...but there's other nearby places to work / escape to.)

I dunno. Just figured Luton is between rural Beds and Rural or stock broker belt herts. Like a thorn between roses. Croydon, on the other hand is right in the heart of dismal south east London, so i thought the transition might be a little less harsh. I guess the North Downs arent far though.

HOLA4412
I dunno. Just figured Luton is between rural Beds and Rural or stock broker belt herts. Like a thorn between roses. Croydon, on the other hand is right in the heart of dismal south east London, so i thought the transition might be a little less harsh. I guess the North Downs arent far though.

true. Much of Kent/Surrey is really lovely.

I suppose my unspoken point was that there's really no shortage of work locally. (touches wood.)

Making sense of the OP I guess, in a place like Luton, if it loses it's main employer it's harder to find something else being so isolated?

I remember how hard it was for the blokes from Rover (O=once local to me.) to find other jobs - many of them didn't - bearing in mind when that was with low unemployment and where: slap-bang inbetween every kind of industry.

HOLA4413
true. Much of Kent/Surrey is really lovely.

I suppose my unspoken point was that there's really no shortage of work locally. (touches wood.)

Making sense of the OP I guess, in a place like Luton, if it loses it's main employer it's harder to find something else being so isolated?

I remember how hard it was for the blokes from Rover (O=once local to me.) to find other jobs - many of them didn't - bearing in mind when that was with low unemployment and where: slap-bang inbetween every kind of industry.

The job market is bad outside Luton aswell. A friend who has a plumbing business who actually lives in Wing says he has been dead since the new year. This includes his clients in Harpenden and Tring etc.

Luton however has got big problems ahead. A violent insular Asian comunity next to a violent white comunity don't sit well together.

HOLA4414
The job market is bad outside Luton aswell. A friend who has a plumbing business who actually lives in Wing says he has been dead since the new year. This includes his clients in Harpenden and Tring etc.

Luton however has got big problems ahead. A violent insular Asian comunity next to a violent white comunity don't sit well together.

Yes, of the tradesmen I know unless they have regular work via some EA or estate management or something are finding work harder to come by.

:( Luton's clearly another place to watch with caution then...

HOLA4415

Luton isolated? I suppose it's an isolated outpost of the Midlands within the South East.

HOLA4416
Guest sillybear2
Luton isolated? I suppose it's an isolated outpost of the Midlands within the South East.

MK is equidistant between Birmingham and London, and not part of the Midlands... so where does that leave Luton? It's more like an even more violent outpost of the old East End.

HOLA4417
Yes, of the tradesmen I know unless they have regular work via some EA or estate management or something are finding work harder to come by.

:( Luton's clearly another place to watch with caution then...

Its the same everywhere the tradesmen have been hit with a sledge hammer. I am in Southampton and none now have work although one I know is a chippy for the council and is OK. Taxi drivers are also down about 40% on trade. The self employed dont end up on the unemployment count as easilly either. Its much worse than the press are reporting. It really is bad.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419