House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1929crash

Breaking News

Tory MP Julie Kirkbride and Labour's Margaret Moran will both step down over the expenses scandal, they have announced.

Margaret Moran (left) and Julie Kirkbride are to step down

Eleven MPs have now resigned as a result of the affair.

Bromsgrove MP Ms Kirkbride followed her husband, Andrew MacKay, in announcing her departure from parliament at the next general election.

The couple came under fire when it emerged that Commons allowances had been used to simultaneously fund both the homes where they lived.

In a resignation letter to party leader David Cameron, Ms Kirkbride wrote: "Today I am announcing that I will not seek re-election for my Bromsgrove constituency.

"My principal concern has to be for my very loyal local supporters in Bromsgrove whose trust in me has been very humbling in the last few weeks.

Sky News

Tory MP Julie Kirkbride said:

"My principal concern has to be for my very loyal local supporters in Bromsgrove whose trust in me has been very surprising given that I'm a shameless, vile thief and not qualified to hold any form of public post now or ever"

yes, they are both stepping down at the next election, so they qualify for the 50K or so "running down" allowance, meant to pay for redundancies and closures of facilities used wholly and necessarily in their function as an MP.

Kirkbrides lot get double bubble of course.

and expenses till they go.

and a very high salary.

they will be missed.

So when will one be prosecuted for what, in any other line of work, would be theft...

Quite.

I'm fed up of hearing "I didn't break the rules" when they very clearly did. These scumbags are getting "the rules" confused with their chummy Expense Department's "advice" (nudge-nudge, say no more, winky-wink).

The vast majority of these people should be drummed out in 12 months.

Or shot now.

The 11 stepping down will be able to claim about another £2.2 million between them if Brown goes another year.

How's that for a slap on the wrist.

nothing like giving 12 months notice for gross misconduct.

On R4 last night they were floating the idea that whether you go or not isn't down to what you claimed, its whether Gordon or Dave like you.

Exhibit: The continued career of Oliver "Tennis Courts" Letwin.

I'm convinced Blears is going to be dragged out in a while in an attempt to bring "closure".

Its a typical New Lab tactic. Won't work though.

shame about Julie Kirkbride as she was a good local MP - why risk potentially a good career by being one half of a greedy couple - personally I think all guilty parties should do the honourable thing and stand down now and force a bye - election. ;)

shame about Julie Kirkbride as she was a good local MP - why risk potentially a good career by being one half of a greedy couple - personally I think all guilty parties should do the honourable thing and stand down now and force a bye - election. ;)

646 bye-bye elections.

Why no one seems to feel the anger as I do that people like this and the speaker will all be getting somehting between £60,000 and £100,000 pay off when they leave office, £30,000 of which will be tax free and speaker martin will even get a guaranteed seat in the house of lords..... it just doesn't seem to get any coverage in the press... all these MP's were happy to denounce Sir Fred and get on the "no rewards for failure etc" and yet thats what they will get .. a nice healthy payoff and an overly generous pension.

Once upon a time many who have been exposed would have retired to their study and done the decent thing by reaching for their former service revolver.

I feel a bit sorry for Julie Kirkbride - after seeing her interviewed over the last couple of days she seems really nice

unlike the unspeakbaly vile Margaret Moran

I feel a bit sorry for Julie Kirkbride - after seeing her interviewed over the last couple of days she seems really nice

I think its quite possible she is a 'nice' person, caught up in the claim-for-anything culture that seems to have grown up in Westminster.

However, she has shown herself to be easily corrupted and therefore is unfit to be an MP. Some MPs have managed to make nothing but perfectly reasonable claims, they should be the only ones standing for re-election.

Those like Prescott with his 'mock tudor beams' should be arrested. Those offering to pay back their ill gotten gains should also be arrested with the offer considered an admission of guilt, those committing fraud in the real world aren't let off the hook for giving back their loot.

Agreed, always liked Julie, its a shame.

They will be in that pot of shlt known as the EU this time next year.

Mandelson resigned TWICE in dissgrace and ended up with a top job in the EU.

Just something for the gulible pro EU retards to remember there.