House Price Crash Forum

End Of Falling Rents?

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8071659.stm

Typical UK rents remained unchanged in May after nine consecutive months of falls, according to a property website.

The average asking rent remained at £819 a month, said Findaproperty.com, although this was still 5.5% lower than the same month a year ago.

A rising supply of flats meant these were becoming cheaper to let, in contrast to houses.

Every area of the UK has seen average rents fall in the past year, the survey of 414,000 properties suggested.

HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest X-QUORK
TBH i've not really seen any falls in rent. I think they were mostly limited to higher priced places >1.5k where as places around the500 to 1k mark remained static.

Might be the case in your area, but not in Gloucestershire. The place we moved from recently:

Jul 2006 - £825 pcm

Aug 2007 - £775 pcm

May 2009 - £690 pcm

Those are actual.

HOLA444
HOLA445
TBH i've not really seen any falls in rent. I think they were mostly limited to higher priced places >1.5k where as places around the500 to 1k mark remained static.

well i'm in london and have had 15% off my rent in 16 months through some negotioation. paying less than 1k now.

HOLA446

Are you having a laugh? Do you use Property Bee, because it shows that rental prices near me have been dropping like a stone, and I'm looking at £700-£1000.

HOLA447

my first thoughts too.

more of the BBC trying to reinforce what were supposed to think.

Why dont they runa headline

LANLORDS CONTINUE TO ROB TENNENTS WITH UNFEASIBILY HIGH RENTS STOPPING PEOPLE FROM MOVING ABOUT FREELY AND ALL THAT signed the BBC

HOLA448
HOLA449
my first thoughts too.

more of the BBC trying to reinforce what were supposed to think.

Why dont they runa headline

LANLORDS CONTINUE TO ROB TENNENTS WITH UNFEASIBILY HIGH RENTS STOPPING PEOPLE FROM MOVING ABOUT FREELY AND ALL THAT signed the BBC

Are rents really that expensive? Much cheaper than buying?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Christ the VI's are getting desperate.

9 months of falls followed by 1 month of stability and the story becomes "downward trend ends".

Do we get another headline next month of "downward trend starts again" - I doubt it.

HOLA4412

Apples and oranges

You are comparing the amount that can be stolen vs the price of holding the theft privilege.

Obviously rents are too high by definition, as much of what is currently paid to landlords is outright theft from tenants.

Edited by Stars

HOLA4413

Typical UK rents remained unchanged in May after nine consecutive months of falls, according to a property website.

The average asking rent remained at £819 a month, said Findaproperty.com, although this was still 5.5% lower than the same month a year ago.

A rising supply of flats meant these were becoming cheaper to let, in contrast to houses.

Every area of the UK has seen average rents fall in the past year, the survey of 414,000 properties suggested.

How exciting :rolleyes:.

By the way, the other piece of news, on Sky, this morning is that the FSA have factored in possible falls of 50% off UK house prices, but will not be releasing the figures.

See below.

HOLA4414

I have seen a handfull of £550PM down at £500PM, but in general the only thing i have noticed is the amount of places available for rent increasing. Although different areas have different characteristics.

HOLA4415

yes, rents are expensive.

this is a sad sign of how far we've fallen.

rent should not be 50% of your wage.

When i first moved here my rent was £625 and my wage was £850. Thats like 80% or something stupid.

Rents should be AFFORDABLE.

However, the word affordable to the govt, media and status quo actually means having the ability to borrow to do it.

being a landlord should be illegal, then people would buy places when needed, and sell them to dealers when they left, like cars. One house per family unit. then renting would be history and people would accrue equity as a default over time.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Since its 'asking rents' perhaps its more an indication of rents having dropped until they hit the limit of the accidental landlords mortgage payments? Once they've had a 3month void period I'm sure they'll come around...

Personally in west london there still seems to be a massive amount of empty properties to rent, probably due to alot of australians/kiwis/saffa's etc going home when they cant find work.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Guest theboltonfury
If rents start to rise how will it effect people with large STR funds?

I know in the past people used the interest from the funds to pay the rent. With interest rates so low will they now have to start eating into the fund?

or they could just use their wages

HOLA4423
yes, rents are expensive.

this is a sad sign of how far we've fallen.

rent should not be 50% of your wage.

When i first moved here my rent was £625 and my wage was £850. Thats like 80% or something stupid.

Rents should be AFFORDABLE.

However, the word affordable to the govt, media and status quo actually means having the ability to borrow to do it.

being a landlord should be illegal, then people would buy places when needed, and sell them to dealers when they left, like cars. One house per family unit. then renting would be history and people would accrue equity as a default over time.

Bro I got to ask the question did you not think about moving somewhere smaller/cheaper? And were you really earning £850 a month? Was it working part time?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425