House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sleepwello'nights

Property Vacated

Well the second set of tenants introduced by the local authority housing department have now left.

A number of people living nearby have congratulated me on giving them notice and are thoroughly delighted they've gone. I'm surprised that more of them didn't approach me earlier with their tales of the nuisance the couple caused. I didn't get to know the half of it.

There is some damage to the property. They were covered by a rent bond scheme whereby the Housing department guarantee to recompense the LL for damage and loss of rent up to a pre-determined maximum. So these people didn't have any financial risk or incentive to treat the house reasonably. The cost of repairing the damage is going to be a lot more than the amount of the rent bond.

Various doors have holes and cracks in them, where they've been punched, kicked or had objects thrown violently at them. There are repairs to the walls where they've attempted to repair similar damage. There is a radiator hanging off the wall. It was dislodged, not sure how, pulled off, kicked off? All the blinds are damaged, pull cords broken, slats bent and twisted. The fridge door has several dents where it has been punched, the hinge is broken, shelves are cracked, dented. There was a very nice sideboard in the sitting room. It's not nice any more. You get the picture.

They had a baby, just over a year old when they left. Her excuse was well you can't stop a baby causing some damage. God help us when it grows up if it caused this damage when it is so young!

To be fair they have painted some of the walls. I wish they hadn't, the colours are different to the original decor, and they haven't painted each wall completely so the repainted areas are clearly visible. Also the cutting in between the wall and ceiling is not very good. So more redecorating for me. But that's really minor and doesn't bother me.

This is the Home Office definition of Criminal damage "refers to crimes where a person intentionally or recklessly destroys or causes damage to another person's property".

Do you think it would be worthwhile reporting the damage to the police?

surely worth approaching the local authority to get additional compensation? i hope you get it sorted and dont lose out, that would be very unfair.

just on the flip side, i as a pvt tenant vacated the place hoovered, clean/tidy and no damage, replaced mouldy shower curtain, descaled loo, never paid rent late, suffered damp damage in the hundreds to my things, and still have a fight on my hands to get my deposit back from pre-TDS landlord and his agents, they just keep fobbing me off. can now see clearly why many tenants just dont pay the last month's rent.

i hope my old landlord gets a tenant like the unfortunate op here who i shall assume does not deserve this as karma!

surely worth approaching the local authority to get additional compensation? i hope you get it sorted and dont lose out, that would be very unfair.

just on the flip side, i as a pvt tenant vacated the place hoovered, clean/tidy and no damage, replaced mouldy shower curtain, descaled loo, never paid rent late, suffered damp damage in the hundreds to my things, and still have a fight on my hands to get my deposit back from pre-TDS landlord and his agents, they just keep fobbing me off. can now see clearly why many tenants just dont pay the last month's rent.

i hope my old landlord gets a tenant like the unfortunate op here who i shall assume does not deserve this as karma!

Have you tried doing a Saturday sit-in at the letting agent, demanding your deposit back vocally whenever someone walks in? Even more effective if they also do sales. I've seen that used to great effect pre-TDS days.

If they call the police (which they won't risk) you can always explain to the policeman why you're there - they will usually be sympathitic.

Edited by Sir Sidney Roughdiamond

Have you tried doing a Saturday sit-in at the letting agent, demanding your deposit back vocally whenever someone walks in? Even more effective if they also do sales. I've seen that used to great effect pre-TDS days.

If they call the police (which they won't risk) you can always explain to the policeman why you're there - they will usually be sympathitic.

the money's with the landlord tho he says the managing agents got it (man agent has office behind security gates), round and round it goes pillar-post, what i might do is wheelclamp the managing agent's car ! i'm joking or am i

Edited by loginandtonic

the money's with the landlord tho he says the managing agents got it (man agent has office behind security gates), round and round it goes pillar-post, what i might do is wheelclamp the managing agent's car ! i'm joking or am i

Just take it to court or they will ****** you around endlessley.

Just take it to court or they will ****** you around endlessley.

i've just had an apology through from the agent saying money's on its way now definitely, 100 %, on the cat's life, honest guv'nor".... well we'll see next week - else yes i will start the long road to court and send Billy the bailiff in to the landlord if he doesnt honour the judgement