House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
macca23

Balham/ Clapham

been in my 3 Bd flat for close to 5 years now - 5 mins from tube overground rail, good shops, nice parks, good schools & nurseries...

Question is do I hang around and hope prices go up again ( so I get a good sale price) or sell up and move to the country side when prices are also lower there and I could get a 4bd + detached house in Kent.... for the current price of my flat?

If I wait for prices to go up in Balham / Clapham - will I be able to get as good apace in Kent if prices there also start to climb.... which area might recover quicker?

Any advise much appreciated!

A lot depends on wherabouts you want to move to in Kent. The west part of the county (Sevenoaks/Tunbridge Wells) is a lot more expensive than the east and price falls/recovery are likely to happen at different times.

I think pretty much everyone would agree that you are going to be waiting a long time for any price rises in Clapham/Balham. Some would argue that they will fall a lot further, others that they will stagnate, but only the very bullish few will believe they will go up in the next few years.

If a 4 bed detached house in Kent is what you want, then why not go for it now? As long as you are able to get a good deal at both ends you should not lose much through the relative movement in the market prices in the two areas and you will be living where you want to live.

All you care about is the spread between the two houses and I doubt that is going to change radically whether they are going up or down. Some more remote areas of kent may fall faster than London and others may fall/rise at similar pace. I say get on with it if that is what you want to do as in the current environment it may take a long time to sell and to find a place to move to.

I don't know about Kent but SW Ldn in general never really dropped. Victorian terraces in C ham Bettersea Wandsworth Putnet etc. all peaked about Dec 07 at about 850 with loft converted - which is still the asking price.Anecdotaly they are going for about 750+. I don't know about flats but if you have generally bearish view on property in general i think t his would be a good time to sell up, especially with the generally improved sentiment amongst city types post-redundancy-wave (people beginning to believe they may hold on) & cash buyers who have sat it out and can't wait any longer. If you sell and the general outlook on this site is correct you will relatively quids in - property in SW Ldn has not reached levels of 5 years back

If you're thinking of elling, take advantage of the bullish sentiment and get out now.

I agree with prop that London SW hasn't yet taken that big a hit. Still at 2006 levels, although I think those 38950k terraced houses may habve got nearer the £1 mill mark in some cases - I have no evidence for this though. I can tell you they now rent for £5-600 per week.

I can tell you they now rent for £5-600 per week.

Thats the thing - it's still much cheaper to rent in SW London than buy - much cheaper

If you're thinking of elling, take advantage of the bullish sentiment and get out now.

I agree with prop that London SW hasn't yet taken that big a hit. Still at 2006 levels, although I think those 38950k terraced houses may habve got nearer the £1 mill mark in some cases - I have no evidence for this though. I can tell you they now rent for £5-600 per week.

Thanks for this - a flat in block just went up for sale last week- 380k for 1 less bedroom so if they get 90% of asking price we would be quids in... still all the news is saying house prices are starting to stabilise...is this before another fall or will they go up again if we hang on...

so difficult to know what to do...

Thanks for this - a flat in block just went up for sale last week- 380k for 1 less bedroom so if they get 90% of asking price we would be quids in... still all the news is saying house prices are starting to stabilise...is this before another fall or will they go up again if we hang on...

so difficult to know what to do...

380K for a 2 bed flat in the Balham/Clapham area? Jesus..... :blink:

Quite. If you believe the bearish story for property - & presumably thats why you're on here - property in SWLdn has held up. Stop being greedy - get out

I'm pretty impartial to be honest, neither a bear or a bull, though I do my fair share of window shopping.

I live in SWLdn in a much less glamourous area than Balham/Clapham may I add, have done for most of my life.

Anyhow I find it absolutely crazy that stuff in Balham/Clapham is still being marketed at these crazy prices, 380K for a 2 bed flat round those parts is utter madness...I'd be really surprised if they even got viewings TBH.

I get the impression that prices have dropped a fair bit in SW London I own three one bedroom flats in Balham and tried to sell last year .

I suspect I was too optimistic having seen a one bedroom flat fgo for £235,000 on land regiustry figures I put mine on the market for £245,000 I would be happy now with £205,000.

On the other hand I live in Old Devonshire Road and Wimpey sold all its two bedroom flats in that Road for £365,000+.

I follow the prices of property coming onto the market on rightmove/ property finder etc. anc it seems to me there is a genuine shortage of properites coming onto the market on SW12 at the moment.

I get the impression that prices have dropped a fair bit in SW London I own three one bedroom flats in Balham and tried to sell last year .

I suspect I was too optimistic having seen a one bedroom flat fgo for £235,000 on land regiustry figures I put mine on the market for £245,000 I would be happy now with £205,000.

On the other hand I live in Old Devonshire Road and Wimpey sold all its two bedroom flats in that Road for £365,000+.

I follow the prices of property coming onto the market on rightmove/ property finder etc. anc it seems to me there is a genuine shortage of properites coming onto the market on SW12 at the moment.

latest news is that the 2br flat is now under offer - less than 3 weeks after going on the market so I'm going to wait to se what they actually get for it... then decide what to do with my place.

latest news is that the 2br flat is now under offer - less than 3 weeks after going on the market so I'm going to wait to se what they actually get for it... then decide what to do with my place.

:blink::blink::blink:

seen a 3 bed flat in Radbourne Road (which is a nice area).

No intention (or ability) to buy but the £380k price tag has got me wondering when this area is going to go down in price as it seems like so far all that has happened is the odd 3-7% drop.

in this particular road flats were going for under £300k in 2006: £250k in 2004 and around £200k in 2002.

so if we are back to 2004 levels then flats like this are still around 25% overpriced.

anyone care to guess when this area is going to drop as it seems to be holding up pretty well at the moment.

I went looking recently for what is available in thsi area and there is next to nothing on the market at the moment. Very few people are sellign and what is coming on is going pretty quick. Prices are more reasonable than a few years ago but still toppy.

seen a 3 bed flat in Radbourne Road (which is a nice area).

No intention (or ability) to buy but the £380k price tag has got me wondering when this area is going to go down in price as it seems like so far all that has happened is the odd 3-7% drop.

in this particular road flats were going for under £300k in 2006: £250k in 2004 and around £200k in 2002.

so if we are back to 2004 levels then flats like this are still around 25% overpriced.

anyone care to guess when this area is going to drop as it seems to be holding up pretty well at the moment.

That's one of the roads off Tooting Bec Common isn't it? I have friends that live round there, whats the area called, the Hydefarm Conservation area?

It's not bad round there, there's nicer parts of Balham but it's convenient for Balham station and obviously the Common. Prices round there are really Crazy IMHO, paying just shy of 400K for a 3 bed flat is totally insane, even at peak they were fetching 360K, crazy as it was.

It seems that area is very popular with young city types so whilst there is likely to be adjustments I'm not sure that prices will fall back to 2004 levels, maybe 2006 levels at a stretch?

think it is called Hydefarm and it borders Tooting Bec Common.

Lovely roads round there and close to all the amenities of Balham and commons of Tooting Bec, Wandsworth and Clapham.

finding it a bit frustrating that areas such as this have not budged at all really from 2007.

would be interested in a 3 bed flat at 2004 levels of around £250k but no more than this.

areas such as this, Earlsfield, Clapham etc all seem to be similar with 2007 prices still the norm

think it is called Hydefarm and it borders Tooting Bec Common.

Lovely roads round there and close to all the amenities of Balham and commons of Tooting Bec, Wandsworth and Clapham.

finding it a bit frustrating that areas such as this have not budged at all really from 2007.

would be interested in a 3 bed flat at 2004 levels of around £250k but no more than this.

areas such as this, Earlsfield, Clapham etc all seem to be similar with 2007 prices still the norm

You'll probably have more luck searching for stuff the other side of the common in Streatham Hill, roads like Salford, Tenham, Telford Avenue etc. The roads look just the same as the ones in the area of Balham you're looking and it's still within walking distance of Balham tube station. You won't get them for next to nothing but I reckon for the equivalent you'll be saving potentially 25K.

It's all about choices obviously...

I was recently near the Blockbuster shop in Balham and noticed an unusual type of 'for sale' sign outside what seemed to be a 3/4 bedroomed family-type house in Laitwood Road, I didn't look too carefully but it seemed to be saying that the house would be sold by auction - I think the day was tomorrow, not sure if it is a reposession or what.

If I read it correctly this will be an interesting acid test for the market value of good but unspectacular family homes in the area. Recent asking prices around there have been shockingly denialist.

Think this kind of area is probably a bit “different†to some others so might not follow the normal trends?

Twenty years ago Balham was not somewhere you would want to live, and now, to many it is very desirable, so while the increases have been higher than most other areas maybe the fact that it is now a better place to live than it was at the start of the boom will mean falls will be less than they would have been had the area not come up so much?

Any opinions on this?

I think Earlsfield is in a similar situation

Think this kind of area is probably a bit “different†to some others so might not follow the normal trends?

Twenty years ago Balham was not somewhere you would want to live, and now, to many it is very desirable,

Any opinions on this?

I lived there for 20 years ago and liked it until it became gentrified......... :rolleyes::)

Buffer - that last post of mine came over the wrong way.

maybe what I meant to say is the area would be desirable to more people now than it was at the start of the boom meaning prices won't simply revert to where they were 5, 6, 7 years ago etc