House Price Crash Forum

Corby, The Most Exciting Property Hotspot In The Uk

HOLA441

I'd tend to plump for Leicester. Decent Midlands city, universities, new theatre, good housing which is not too overpriced as the boom never got going in a big way, and just over an hour to St Pancras.
It's great if you like crisps and curry, I suppose.... - it's twinned with Islamabad (and Bradford) these days and it's erm, a bit, 'downmarket' (honest, but downmarket).

HOLA442

Corby used to have the steel works which was Corbys main employer and paid bloody good money.

Now its all distribution centers full of poles working for pittance for an agency.

Another place that was meant to fare well in a recession because of its diverse industry was Milton Keynes

but again the opposite is true in reality, it is suffering worse than most for losing jobs.

HOLA443
Corby used to have the steel works which was Corbys main employer and paid bloody good money.

Now its all distribution centers full of poles working for pittance for an agency.

Another place that was meant to fare well in a recession because of its diverse industry was Milton Keynesbut again the opposite is true in reality, it is suffering worse than most for losing jobs.

When they said diverse industry I presume they meant a collection of houses mixed in with some retail distribution centres and topped off with vastly more retail and leisure space than could possibly ever be supported.

TBH everything around the M1/A14 area Rugby, Nuneaton, Leicester, Daventry, Corby, Huntingdon is retail distribution centre land and not a great deal else really, apart from the shops they supply.