House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wealthy

Corby, The Most Exciting Property Hotspot In The Uk

http://www.moreincorby.com/northamptonshire/

Lots of newbuild housing went up in the last few years, new train station, lots of advertising - stephen fry in ads on london underground. Only an hour ten from london, a highly rated school. Sound good, I'm sure it did to a lot of people.

Where are we at? A couple of examples -

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...e%26index%3D120

£89,950 3 bedroom semi-detached house for sale Buttercup Close, Corby, NN18

1 11/06/2008 £124,000 Semi F No Map 26, Buttercup Close, Corby, Northamptonshire, NN18 8LB

2 31/01/2008 £132,500 Semi F No Map 34, Buttercup Close, Corby, Northamptonshire, NN18 8LB

3 07/12/2007 £131,666 Semi F No Map 34, Buttercup Close, Corby, Northamptonshire, NN18 8LB

4 30/11/2007 £159,000 Semi F No Map 33, Buttercup Close, Corby, Northamptonshire, NN18 8LB

5 16/11/2007 £157,000 Semi F No Map 9, Buttercup Close, Corby, Northamptonshire, NN18 8LB

7 25/06/2007 £131,000 Semi F No Map 41, Buttercup Close, Corby, Northamptonshire, NN18 8LB

8 21/02/2007 £164,950 Semi F No Map 63, Buttercup Close, Corby, Northamptonshire, NN18 8LB

10 31/08/2006 £148,000 Semi F No Map 8, Buttercup Close, Corby, Northamptonshire, NN18 8LB

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...es%26index%3D10

£118,000 3 bedroom detached house for sale Holkham Close, Corby, Northants

1 03/09/2008 £150,000 Det. F No Map 14, Holkham Close, Corby, Northamptonshire, NN18 8PG

2 02/05/2008 £205,000 Det. F No Map 4, Holkham Close, Corby, Northamptonshire, NN18 8PG

3 15/02/2008 £187,500 Det. F No Map 4, Holkham Close, Corby, Northamptonshire, NN18 8PG

6 17/11/2006 £167,500 Det. F No Map 16, Holkham Close, Corby, Northamptonshire, NN18 8PG

7 29/09/2006 £215,000 Det. F No Map 9, Holkham Close, Corby, Northamptonshire, NN18 8PG

8 23/09/2005 £133,000 Det. F No Map 14, Holkham Close, Corby, Northamptonshire, NN18 8PG

9 06/01/2005 £205,000 Det. F Yes Map 3, Holkham Close, Corby, Northamptonshire, NN18 8PG

10 01/12/2004 £152,951 Det. F Yes Map 5, Holkham Close, Corby, Northamptonshire, NN18 8PG

If you look deeper down, both prices are greater than the cost of any newbuild price that would have been paid for the property. Quite an interesting case I think - proof that some sellers actually get the message?

I remember in the mid-late 70s when you could snap up a house in Corby for £1k on the rougher bits ... and even at the time that was an unbelievably low price.

It's always been rough.

I remember in the mid-late 70s when you could snap up a house in Corby for £1k on the rougher bits ... and even at the time that was an unbelievably low price.

It's always been rough.

It's like a little piece of Glasgow, and not a good piece either.

http://www.moreincorby.com/northamptonshire/

Lots of newbuild housing went up in the last few years, new train station, lots of advertising - stephen fry in ads on london underground. Only an hour ten from london, a highly rated school. Sound good, I'm sure it did to a lot of people.

, both prices are greater than the cost of any newbuild price that would have been paid for the property. Quite an interesting case I think - proof that some sellers actually get the message?

Good post. Very revealing.

It's always been rough.

Haha that takes me back a bit.

When I was a young lad me and my mates went out drinking in Corby and I remember my mates car broke down late at night.

He panicked like ******. I said whats the big deal?

He said what are you ******ing mad, this is ******ing Corby.

Ah those where the days.

Haha that takes me back a bit.

When I was a young lad me and my mates went out drinking in Corby and I remember my mates car broke down late at night.

He panicked like ******. I said whats the big deal?

He said what are you ******ing mad, this is ******ing Corby.

Ah those where the days.

Went to Corby Tech and did a stint in the steel works in my youth. Corby folk are OK, though this outclave of Scottishness in the middle of Northamptonshire is strange.

Corby also had a theme park mooted during the depths of eighties unemployment there. Rumour was it was nothing more than a govt propaganda effort to keep the sheeple of Corby's morale up (that never got further than a huge sign on a derelict plot of land). Strong indication of the sickly hand of govt was the proposed dull and worthy rides. One such being a trip through a human body that subsequently turned up in another govt failure to regenerate a desolate, post-industrial wasteland. In this case, rather than Wonderworld, they settled on the excitingly named but, belying the dull reality 'Millenium Dome'.

Corby is also the home to Land Sec's height of the bubble madness retail development 'Willow Place' where I think it's likely they'd pay you to take a shop in Corby off their hands, as if anything else was going to be reality there.

Edited by Soon Not a Chain Retailer

Went to Corby Tech and did a stint in the steel works in my youth. Corby folk are OK, though this outclave of Scottishness in the middle of Northamptonshire is strange.

Yes they are good people.

But it was ******ing rough in the 1980's.

I remember some wonderful nightclubs.

Jucy Lucies I think it was. Boy they could drink. Nobody went to work on a Monday because they were getting over the weekend.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/finance...c-downturn.html

Corby 'least likely to suffer from economic downturn'

They carried that story on BBC local news back then, and recently reported Corby was the worst affected place in the region :lol::lol::lol:

Only academics could get it so wrong.

And perhaps politicians, economists, stockbrokers, bankers, journalists and buy to let landlords.

Corby still looks expensive compared to the other similarly sized infinetly nicer (but still rough) Northamptonshire towns of Kettering Rushden and Wellingborough

Corby also had a theme park mooted during the depths of eighties unemployment there. Rumour was it was nothing more than a govt propaganda effort to keep the sheeple of Corby's morale up (that never got further than a huge sign on a derelict plot of land). Strong indication of the sickly hand of govt was the proposed dull and worthy rides. One such being a trip through a human body that subsequently turned up in another govt failure to regenerate a desolate, post-industrial wasteland. In this case, rather than Wonderworld, they settled on the excitingly named but, belying the dull reality 'Millenium Dome'.

Corby is also the home to Land Sec's height of the bubble madness retail development 'Willow Place' where I think it's likely they'd pay you to take a shop in Corby off their hands, as if anything else was going to be reality there.

They got that flipping enormous motor speedway. What more do they want?!

both repos, from the looks of it - curtains closed, not emptied, agent not gving a stuff about the photos looking good, recent builds too.... I'd suspect that as a repo they'd therefore not be priced off a 20% fall then a discount for them being a repo/forced sale too.....

I was repeatedly amazed by the shortness of peoples' memories on property bubbles during the most recent one.

I remember being down the pub in 89 in the City when somebody revealed, as if it was a huge secret, that the latest big property steal was Telford as prices were still cheap there. So we should all rush out and buy there. This was for commuting to London.

Several people (we were all wannabe FTBs) were seriously interested and went on to make enquiries. Even then young naive me thought "Live in Telford so you can work in London, you have got to be joking." I didn't say it though, it would have started a big argument that I would have lost.

So this time it was Corby. Wonder where it will be next time - Doncaster?

I was repeatedly amazed by the shortness of peoples' memories on property bubbles during the most recent one.

I remember being down the pub in 89 in the City when somebody revealed, as if it was a huge secret, that the latest big property steal was Telford as prices were still cheap there. So we should all rush out and buy there. This was for commuting to London.

Several people (we were all wannabe FTBs) were seriously interested and went on to make enquiries. Even then young naive me thought "Live in Telford so you can work in London, you have got to be joking." I didn't say it though, it would have started a big argument that I would have lost.

they were pushing Leeds and Stafford as commutable not that long ago...... and when I was in the Highlands, they were pushing places just outside Inverness as commutable to London via Easyjet......

New York?

Nice?

they were pushing Leeds and Stafford as commutable not that long ago...... and when I was in the Highlands, they were pushing places just outside Inverness as commutable to London via Easyjet......

:blink: Wow! :blink:

I suppose I wasn't paying that much attention this time as it was the second time around.

Leeds! I went there once on holiday. I quite liked it (on the outskirts, by a country park).

One thing it wasn't was commutable to London.

It is almost a 'liar loan' type scam when high prices drive you the sort of distance you used to go on holiday, but the mortgage provider conveniently forgets that you now have a second mortgage called a train fare.

Meanwhile Steven Fry sells the dream of Corby from his home somewhere like Hampstead or Richmond! He who thinks the MPs robbing ways are acceptable.

REVOLUTION

I'd tend to plump for Leicester. Decent Midlands city, universities, new theatre, good housing which is not too overpriced as the boom never got going in a big way, and just over an hour to St Pancras.

Edited by rover2000

The impact is that Stafford semis on rough council estates are £140k (well in the EA windows anyway, one assumes someone somewhere must have been that stupid).

The outlying areas are significantly pricier, the rural location I inhabit sees semi-boxes rise to ~£180k to start, ex-council places £160. Advertised prices not shifting since the peak and even a couple of sold signs going up. I can't say that I get it, there's not exactly a surplus of work around, unless you want to work in a distribution center...perhaps it is all these people commuting?

Perhaps last time it would have been more feasible in terms of price. I would imagine it would cost you more than your mortgage to commute from London to Corby. Bit of a joke for an hours worth of journey.

It is almost a 'liar loan' type scam when high prices drive you the sort of distance you used to go on holiday, but the mortgage provider conveniently forgets that you now have a second mortgage called a train fare.

Meanwhile Steven Fry sells the dream of Corby from his home somewhere like Hampstead or Richmond! He who thinks the MPs robbing ways are acceptable.

REVOLUTION

Very true.

Watch out for the Liar Costs involved in commuting.

We escaped Corby last year lucky to only lose 10%.

This house was 25 yards away....

Wren Close - Corby

Would have been around £270,000 in 2007. Looks like it may also be a repo. Fair bit bigger than the house we sold & asking price is 20k less than our sale price. I think we were very luck not to have been stuck there for the next 25 years!

I would imagine there are a huge number of people on that estate in negative equity. Redrow (who built that house) had a scheme to move in for £99 in 2007. :blink:

Wasn't there a news article or documentary last year, showing how Corby had prospered because of of the EE migrant workers locating there? I feel sorry for people who've upped roots to come and live and work in places like Corby and Slough, then find out a year later the economy's shafted and they're out of work again.

You have to be careful with these small places, theres no opportunity. They sound nice in theory if you have a family and such, but other than that Corby is the sort of place where people go to die. all said and done, thats a good price on a three bedroom property.

personally it has to have a proper university to attract me.

Seems quite reasonable prices there. How long does it take to drive there from NW London and what's the crime like?

Scratch that, I just asked someone and received a look of horror.