House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Johnny Storm

Postal Voting

Wow what a democracy we live in. My postal vote came today, filled it all in. Its one of those where the vote form fits into envelope A which is then sealed and put into envelope B.

First problem, vote slip will not fit into envelope A. I have had to very slightly remove some of the glue from the sides, didnt want to fold it and it be unreadable by the computer.

Second problem. The glue on the lick to seal bit seems to be missing, so I cant actually seal my envelope A.

You do have to wonder when things are designed to be so unfit for their actual purpose if it was done on purpose.

No wonder so many people dont bother voting is there? :angry:

Wow what a democracy we live in. My postal vote came today, filled it all in. Its one of those where the vote form fits into envelope A which is then sealed and put into envelope B.

First problem, vote slip will not fit into envelope A. I have had to very slightly remove some of the glue from the sides, didnt want to fold it and it be unreadable by the computer.

Second problem. The glue on the lick to seal bit seems to be missing, so I can actually seal my envelope A.

You do have to wonder when things are designed to be so unfit for their actual purpose if it was done on purpose.

"Unreliable" postal system, postal ballots "lost in the post"...all part of the deliberate demolition of democracy.

Second problem. The glue on the lick to seal bit seems to be missing, so I can actually seal my envelope A.

If you want your vote to count, don't use a postal vote. They are opened up well ebfore elction day, not counted, just stored in a room somewhere until counting night. Anyone can tamper with them, and there's plenty of evidence to suggest this has gone on in some local authorities. (GLenrothes by-election shock last autumn is a case in point)

Either vote in person or get a proxy.

I do think they dont want people to vote for some reason. A few years back, they did this online voting test for people who already had a postal vote.

The instructions were very unclear. I clicked something wrong, I cant remember exactly what. But I think I clicked one candidate and nothing happened. So I thought, well some elections you have pick two.

So I clicked another one. It came up with something like, "You have tried to vote for two candidates and spoilt your vote. " There was no facilty to go back, and that was that, vote lost.

As someone who does program computers and websites I was astounded by the stupidity of it. But I suppose votes that dont fit into envelopes and envelopes that dont seal is the non-cyber equivalent.

I do think they dont want people to vote for some reason. A few years back, they did this online voting test for people who already had a postal vote.

The instructions were very unclear. I clicked something wrong, I cant remember exactly what. But I think I clicked one candidate and nothing happened. So I thought, well some elections you have two to pick from.

So I clicked another one. It came up with something like, "You have tried to vote for two candidates and spoilt your vote. " There was no facilty to go back, and that was that, vote lost.

As someone who does program computers and websites I was astounded by the stupidity of it. But I suppose votes that dont fit into envelopes and envelopes that dont seal is the non-cyber equivalent.

There's nothing like a paper trail to ensure fair voting. Computerised voting is linked to the Ohio fraud of 2004, which gave Bush the election. Just look what happened to Homer Simpson if you don't believe me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aBaX9GPSaQ

whats wrong exactly with sticking a cross on paper in a sealed box and counted by random folk... sounds secure to me.

Postal voting is an excuse for vote tampering. This is one of the reasons, I believe, that lead to a judge describing the UK voting system as being fit to embarrass a banana republic a few years back. Apart from the danger of tampering once it's received it is far, far, too open to interference or intimidation when the vote is actually being cast.

If you want to vote you should go to a polling station. Postal voting should return to it's former role of only being used in exceptional circumstances where the voter cannot physically get to a polling station, such as when you are living out of the UK. Even then it should only be allowed for people who cannot get to an embassy or consulate to vote.

Postal voting should NOT be available on demand.

Guest absolutezero

Second problem. The glue on the lick to seal bit seems to be missing, so I cant actually seal my envelope A.

I'm more worried that your 'anonymous' ballot paper has a number stamped on it and has had for years.