House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
yokel

The Elephant In The Room

I remember in the early 90s that some houses just wouldn't sell if they had any problem with location, design, condition etc (yes, I know, anything will sell at the right price). Problems that people would decide they could live with in a rising market and could always sell up at a profit it they couldn't live with it, became huge problems.

Things like a takeaway nearby, traffic noise, the wrong school, tiny garden, no parking.

This is one near here. Have had a look through the windows etc - looks like a nicely done conversion - decent garden etc.

Has been on the market for a couple of years and asking price now down from £325k to £270k.

Its big problem - you can see it on the map - is the M50 across the narrow lane and through the hedge. If the RM site had sound effects you'd see/hear why it hasn't sold.

Link

Any other examples?

Y

<snip>

Its big problem - you can see it on the map - is the M50 across the narrow lane and through the hedge. If the RM site had sound effects you'd see/hear why it hasn't sold.

Interesting - although as far as motorways goes, the M50 must be one of the quietest in the country. (Still a motorway though)

"NEWLY CONVERTED 3 BEDROOM DETACHED BARN"

Does look quite nice but as you say, in a rising market people would be willing to give it a go. At the moment, it's barge-pole stuff.

Property Bee says:

13 March 2009

* Price changed: from '£325,000' to '£269,950' [Found by n/a]

05 December 2008

* Subtitle changed: from '3 bedroom detached' to '3 bedroom detached house ' [Found by n/a]

02 February 2008

* Initial entry found.

The times of easy profit have gone for these developers.

Edit: just realised, the first PB entry is Feb 08! Ha!

Edited by BlueRat

Another one which the young yokels pointed out when we viewed a house before Christmas - does it have good mobile phone reception - more than one network and in most or all of the rooms? (the answer was `no' in that instance)

I would never have thought to check, but this could be a deal breaker for lots of people.

Re the power lines. Leaving aside the health effects controversy - any radio engineers out there who know whether they could affect wireless networks or mobile phone reception?

Y

Imp and I are just about to move out of an area that has overhead power lines. This time of year isn't so bad, but as soon as the air is even slightly damp they hum and buzz and crackle. It's like that all winter.

I'd avoid power lies simply because having the window open and hearing the crackling would irritate me too much, never mind the potential health risks that may or may not occur from living so close to them.

Re the power lines. Leaving aside the health effects controversy - any radio engineers out there who know whether they could affect wireless networks or mobile phone reception?

That'd be me then, kind of ;)

Shouldn't affect either ordinarily, though if the mobile reception is on the edge then it might be enough to mess it up.

They do affect TV reception though, and they're often noisy. The big ones give you little shocks when you touch things under them - like your car or your children.

Even leaving aside the possible health issue, I alway struggle to understand why anyone would buy a house under one without a verysubstantial discount - and even then I don't think I would; they really are unsaleable unless the market is overheated.

edited for typing

Edited by Mal Volio

That'd be me then, kind of ;)

Shouldn't affect either ordinarily, though if the mobile reception is on the edge then it might be enough to mess it up.

They do affect TV reception though, and they're often noisy. The big ones give you little shocks when you touch things under them - like your car or your children.

Even leaving aside the possible health issue, I alway struggle to understand why anyone would buy a house under one without a verysubstantial discount - and even then I don't think I would; they really are unsaleable unless the market is overheated.

edited for typing

even with a discount, is it worth risking your health for a few bucks ?

even with a discount, is it worth risking your health for a few bucks ?

Depends how big you think that risk is, I suppose. It seems quite small, if it exists at all.

I'm not sure it would bother me as much as the visual impact, the noise, the effect on TV reception, the effect on resale value and the continual microshocks.

Think about day-to-day costs too. You'd have to condition your hair more often to stop it going quite so static-y. Nylon underwear could be uncomfortable too!

For some other examples, this time close to both the M5 and A40 try

The Reddings

If that does not work just do a RightMove search for The Reddings. First 3 are all very close to both roads, the 3rd one which has been on the market with various agents since 2005 is almost under a flyover

My parents' next door-but-one neighbour is a sub-station. To be honest we never heard it humming very much at all. It was probably quite small though. I worked at a 500,000v sub-station a couple of years ago, now they hum a lot, and when a 'fuse' blew it sounded like a bomb going off.

one i went to see. 2 bed semi cottage easy commute to town garage huge garden small conservatory nodern kitchen bathroom etc. loft big enough as anouther room. 134k..

sniff sniff what the hecks that?

meat factory accross the road!

I know it's rental so slightly different

Flat

The underpass just to the left goes under a very busy and noisy road.

And try this one that's for sale.

Port Talbot

You'll have to speak up, I can't hear you over the sound of the M4