House Price Crash Forum
abharrisson

Global Warming Could Be Put Off.

Apparently according to Obama's energy advisor by simply painting roofs white, by making cars in light reflective colours and by changing for instance pavements to more of a light/white colour.

What happens apoparently is two fold... firstly the light / and heat gets bounced back into space, and becasue its not infra-red it doesn't get trapped by the greenhouse gases..... and secondly there is a saving in airconditioning costs for cars and houses (not in the UK clearly) as the lighter colour will absorb less heat.

Seems simple... might even work... but you'd need to work pretty hard to implement it I suspect.

Article in the independent today.

heat gets bounced back into space, and becasue its not infra-red it doesn't get trapped by the greenhouse gases

The heat reflected from the white is infra red and would have to exit earths atmosphere for this alone to make a difference. Green houses function i think because the heat passing in and then absorbed and then released is of a different energetic frequency and is preferentially retained by the glass? So if it can enter the earths atmosphere and be reflected rather than absorbed and reemitted it should exit also?

On the other hand the vast amount of city power used to cool cities will be reduced. NYC for example tends to have power cuts in summer due to power demands to cool the city?

Edited by aliveandkicking

The heat reflected from the white is infra red and would have to exit earths atmosphere for this alone to make a difference. Green houses function i think because the heat passing in and then absorbed and then released is of a different energetic frequency and is preferentially retained by the glass? So if it can enter the earths atmosphere and be reflected it should exit also?

On the other hand the vast amount of city power used to cool cities will be reduced. NYC for example tends to have power cuts in summer due to power demands to cool the city?

I'm pretty sure the reflected light is in the optical....because its white. The greenhouse effect is from the earth surface absorbing light - heating up - then black body emission. So reflection reduces this.

But I can't think why this is news, the cooling from the albedo effect has been known for ages. Mostly from Land use, cloud and ice cover, and atmospheric aerosols (the biggest uncertainty in climate change).

Apparently according to Obama's energy advisor by simply painting roofs white, by making cars in light reflective colours and by changing for instance pavements to more of a light/white colour.

What happens apoparently is two fold... firstly the light / and heat gets bounced back into space, and becasue its not infra-red it doesn't get trapped by the greenhouse gases..... and secondly there is a saving in airconditioning costs for cars and houses (not in the UK clearly) as the lighter colour will absorb less heat.

Seems simple... might even work... but you'd need to work pretty hard to implement it I suspect.

Why I always buy silver cars

I'm pretty sure the reflected light is in the optical....because its white. The greenhouse effect is from the earth surface absorbing light - heating up - then black body emission. So reflection reduces this.

But I can't think why this is news, the cooling from the albedo effect has been known for ages. Mostly from Land use, cloud and ice cover, and atmospheric aerosols (the biggest uncertainty in climate change).

Depends maybe how we define white light? The sun is supposedly white light and really has all frequencies in it. The green house gases tend to absorb long wave radiations which is only a small fraction of the energy coming back from the white surface.

The OP said heat reflected upwards. I suppose really we are talking about the energy being transmitted upwards in an unchanged form so that most of the energy that arrives from outer space leaves earth?

Isn't that racist?

Depends maybe how we define white light? The sun is supposedly white light and really has all frequencies in it. The green house gases tend to absorb long wave radiations which is only a small fraction of the energy coming back from the white surface.

The OP said heat reflected upwards. I suppose really we are talking about the energy being transmitted upwards in an unchanged form so that most of the energy that arrives from outer space leaves earth?

That's it in a nutshell.

Better to create more clouds (white) to reflect the light..?

If you want to worry we are about to enter a mini iceage (like in the 1600's) because the sun seems to have stopped having sun spots.. We will be looking for ways to make the planet warmer.

Edited by moosetea

This is pretty much what a lot of pollution does. Particulates from dirty power stations, diesel cars, and oddly enough rainforests, cause cloud droplet nucleation which causes more clouds, which (being white) have a cooling effect. This is very poorly understood compared to things like CO2, CH4, land use albedo and sun activity.

The guy who my lab is named after proposing cloud seeding as a last ditch effort to stop global warming should it become a more serious problem.

www.planetwork.net/climate/cooling/Global%20Cooling%204-08.pdf

This is pretty much what a lot of pollution does. Particulates from dirty power stations, diesel cars, and oddly enough rainforests, cause cloud droplet nucleation which causes more clouds, which (being white) have a cooling effect. This is very poorly understood compared to things like CO2, CH4, land use albedo and sun activity.

The guy who my lab is named after proposing cloud seeding as a last ditch effort to stop global warming should it become a more serious problem.

www.planetwork.net/climate/cooling/Global%20Cooling%204-08.pdf

I thought water vapour was also a powerful heat-retainer.

The so called "chemtrails" - are they a covert operation to try and reverse global warming by creating large areas of high cloud?

If you want to worry we are about to enter a mini iceage (like in the 1600's) because the sun seems to have stopped having sun spots.. We will be looking for ways to make the planet warmer.

I am in Finland. There is no question this area is warmer than many people have ever experienced.

Meanwhile......

We are told todays Sun looks like

midi163.gif

As of Sept. 27, 2008, the sun had been blank, i.e., had no visible sunspots, on 200 days of the year. To find a year with more blank suns, you have to go back to 1954, three years before the launch of Sputnik, when the sun was blank 241 times.

Sept. 27, 2008,

midi512_blank_2001.gif

Fantastic! Winter fares on the Thames!

The_Frozen_Thames_1677.jpg

The so called "chemtrails" - are they a covert operation to try and reverse global warming by creating large areas of high cloud?

I use to fly gliders. Even at 22,000 feet in summer you get ice on the wings. As you fly thru moist air you get little water vapour trails here and there. Since the jet planes engines are at 33,000 feet chucking out tonnes of fuel per hour the water vapour from the spent fuel is going to leave a trail up there. It must do. No different to a car exhaust in winter or your own breath in winter.

That's right. The Greenhouse effect on water vapour is far larger (about 30 K) than even the worse can for CO2, CH4, CFC (1-4 K). But it is generally considered a feedback rather than a forcing (like CO2 and albedo) because its vapour pressure and state vary so much over the conditions of interest.

In clouds the water is in a liquid state which means it can reflect, but it can also insulate. So a cloud at night or low level can insulate and heat, but a high level cloud will almost certainly cool the surface. This is why the aerosol effects are so poorly understood relatively speaking.

And as for the chemtrails...read my sig.

I am in Finland. There is no question this area is warmer than many people have ever experienced.

Meanwhile......

We are told todays Sun looks like

midi163.gif

As of Sept. 27, 2008, the sun had been blank, i.e., had no visible sunspots, on 200 days of the year. To find a year with more blank suns, you have to go back to 1954, three years before the launch of Sputnik, when the sun was blank 241 times.

Sept. 27, 2008,

midi512_blank_2001.gif

FYI : The bottom picture is from 2001 as a comparison...

http://www.iceagenow.com/Spotless_Sun_Blan...ll_counting.htm

simply painting roofs white, by making cars in light reflective colours and by changing for instance pavements to more of a light/white colour.

yay - I always wanted to live in Ford Kuga town. Would be ace

still3.jpg

Cheers. It did not make sense it was suddenly turned off. :) Which was why i said "We are told todays Sun looks like" because i was wondering what i was being told!

My mistake though.

Recent Sun spot activity

sunspot.gif

Last couple of hundred years

daltonmin_graph.jpg

Sun spots are predicted to return, but they havent yet... and the summer of 1816 was one of the most miserable ever recorded

Edited by moosetea

Guest X-QUORK
I use to fly gliders. Even at 22,000 feet in summer you get ice on the wings. As you fly thru moist air you get little water vapour trails here and there. Since the jet planes engines are at 33,000 feet chucking out tonnes of fuel per hour the water vapour from the spent fuel is going to leave a trail up there. It must do. No different to a car exhaust in winter or your own breath in winter.

Long jet contrails means more moisture in the air, shorter means drier air and better weather. That's what I've always believed anyway.

Guest มร หล&#3

Ah yes, the albedo effect.

Nothing to do with recession then?

Recent Sun spot activity

sunspot.gif

Last couple of hundred years

daltonmin_graph.jpg

Sun spots are predicted to return, but they havent yet... and the summer of 1816 was one of the most miserable ever recorded

That charts great... wonder if this might not be a whole new line in city betting.... sun spot activity..... if I read the chart right, less sun spots lower heat and we might be in for a cool summer... pity becasue my "bones" were saying its going to be a hot one.. just shows how little I know.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Have we broken the sun now?

How did we do it?

Too much shaving or something?

Guest LongBlackKilt
Have we broken the sun now?

How did we do it?

Same way we broke America. A massive publicity campaign.

Anyway, none of this cosmic stuff explains why my Finnish gooseberry bush survived the winter but failed to produce.

WTF! Be serious. How much of the world is urban sprawl that can be whitewashed? Percentage wise very little I imagine. Aside from the local cooling effect on the interior of buildings and heat retention of cities at night being lower, I can't see it having any effect at all.

Grade A White House b0ll0x, like the rest of the garbage coming out of there.

Edited by General Congreve