House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Minesapint

Ok You Th's Own Up - Whos "bean" Stockpiling!

Any chance of getting those stats (the organic one especially) tatooed into Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall's forehead?

The kids have warned me if I come home with any more beans it won't be the chav mobs I'll need to worry about. :lol:

Frrrrt!

Beans for lunch today, but not stockpiling. Oh no, not me. Honest.

Someone open a window.

Beanz meanz fartz !

Oh dear, that's more global warming due to the inevitable methane production from the consumers! :P

finisehd stockpiling for the time being a week after lehman went under.got all sorts of beans,they're an incredibly good source of proteins

Beans do not provide the full amino acid profile the human body needs for muscle repair and growth, and so are a very poor source of protein. You need to pair them up with other incomplete proteins to make them useful.

Eggs, milk, and meat are the main complete proteins with full bioavailability of amino acids.

In all seriousness I reckon to have stock of around 100 tins of beans in the garage at any one time. As you say they are cheap, they keep for ages, and I rotate them anyway.

Other tinned foods I have a stock of ( in smaller quantities ) are peaches, pears, rice pudding, potatoes, tuna and salmon among other things.

I tend to stock up when I see an offer.

Call me weird but I hate shopping, so when I have to go I like to make it worth my while.

Recently I have realised I have reached culmination of the process of getting rid of my beer gut. While I feel much better for it (ditched the rubbish and did some exercise in a consistent manner over a reasonably long period of time, nothing radical in itself, the radical part was how I turned into the Michelin man in the first place) I'm beginning to wonder if I've made a terrible mistake. Will I be crawling around weakly while the fatties charge around taking what they want? Have I got out of an all too tangible asset class at just the wrong time? :ph34r:

In April, the value of sales of baked beans rose 21.6% compared with the same month of 2008, which was its sixth consecutive month of growth around 20%, according to figures prepared for the BBC by the market researchers Nielsen.

Key word in there "Value". There has been and continues to be significant inflation in basic goods and high rises in the the cost of basic lines as well as supermarkets claw back profit from here as their excess profits on luxury lines takes as hit.

Supermarkets as businesses certainly are well run, they play the market well (consumers, producers) to maximise their gains.

A million housewives every day

pick up a tin of beans and say:

"Oi, theres one missing!

There is a recession on you know Mr Heinz

What's the lentil situation?

Offer good value

You can get 2kg for 2-2.50 in Tesco.

My stockpile includes about 8kg of chick peas, 10kg of Black eyed peas, 5kg of green / red lentils.

And 30kg of rice which was free (a friend of mine was involved in a massive GM testing project - and well it was a shame to waste the rice) ;)

Call me weird but ................

Certainly.

You're weird.

A million housewives every day

pick up a tin of beans and say:

"Oi, theres one missing!

A million housewives every day,

pick up a tin of beans and say,

"I can't be *rsed to make dinner tonight - you're 'avin beans again."

My name is Prof, and I`m a beanaholic.

My "stockpile" has bean reducing in size. I must go and source some new stock.

Beans, beans good for your heart

The more you eat the more you fart

The more you fart the better you feel

So let's have beans for every meal.

Sorry, reversion to childhood episode.

Beans do not provide the full amino acid profile the human body needs for muscle repair and growth, and so are a very poor source of protein. You need to pair them up with other incomplete proteins to make them useful.

Simple: combine them with rice; properly stored, dried beans and rice will last indefinitely in the TFH stockpile -- unlike eggs, milk, meat etc.

It's the organic ******** that I can't stand. I'm glad it's down 10%, organic to me is the social equivalent of shitting on your neighbour's doorstep.

Intensive farming produces an excess of food, which can be sold on to third world countries cheaply. By Grauniad readers insisting on organic, because it is perceived as a premium product, world food production falls, meaning less for everyone, and in particular poor people. If we all switched back to organic, we could only support around 2 billion people. Guess which continents those people would be from? Presumably not Europe or North America.

Another way of looking at it is that industrial agriculture front-loads food production by bringing it forward from the future (in fact our whole debt-based economy is based on this idea). Guess which generations will suffer? Presumably not us personally, at least not too much ;)

Sustainable agriculture wouldn't do that. Organic agriculture tries to be sustainable (though it's clearly not the only route to sustainability -- it's just a brand/certification when it comes down to it).

Simple: combine them with rice; properly stored, dried beans and rice will last indefinitely in the TFH stockpile -- unlike eggs, milk, meat etc.

you miss the point. beans are crap for muscle building. eggs, milk and meat are good, inc chicken.

i can survive off of why and oats for months at a time. i buy it in buil through the post.

in fact all i eat is eggs, why, oats, and chicken with a few other things.

you miss the point. beans are crap for muscle building. eggs, milk and meat are good, inc chicken.

i can survive off of why and oats for months at a time. i buy it in buil through the post.

in fact all i eat is eggs, why, oats, and chicken with a few other things.

dont you mean rhye?