House Price Crash Forum

Is A Football Team Being In The Premiership Good For A Town ?

Guest worthless_site

HOLA441
Guest BAREBEAR_soon to be ALIVA
Not a jot. Portsmouth is, has been - and always will be - shit.

2008: yes a lot of jubilation (including John `tw@t` Westwood wobbling around like a blue walrus). 2009: like every year prior to 2008. :(

Having worked around the Portsmouth area , I thought it was really nice, the people were great especially in Havant.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
A friend of mine (from Liverpool) used to play for Burnley and I was associated with the club as a youngster myself so I read this thread out of interest.

Then we get the guy with the 'bull terrier' as an avatar immediately slagging Scousers.

So predictable. In my experience whenever people like this blert hear a scouse accent they don't complain or let their feelings be known ....no they usually shit themselves in case they get sussed as being a gobshite and get a slap.

Don't get me wrong ...usually your real Londoners or your real Mancunians are pretty sound guys...no it's usually your daft woolly backs or OOT's that have it all to say...... but when it comes to it they're all full of crap.

You know deep down what the score is you arseholes ....internet glory hunters......grow the F**ck up!!!

Haha they dont like it up em do they Capn Mainwaring.

I used to live near a pub that was full of scouse lorry drivers and on the night of the european cup final when they came back and won I was there , in my Chelsea shirt .

There was no trouble , a bit of banter on both sides , that was it. I did get kissed by one of them though.Then he spat at me, except he didn't it was just the way he talked, you've got to spit to do the accent properly.

Chill out mate, at the end of the day we are all british, the londoners hate the scousers and vice versa, the scousers hate the Mancs, the londoners and the scousers hate the Mancs and so on.

Oh and we all hate Tottenham

HOLA443
HOLA444
Geordies seem to only be passionate about Prem football.

I wouldn't have said I'm exactly your typical Geordie. Or so it would seem from the typical media representation of us as overweight and over-wrought chaps going topless at -10 degrees.

After our sojourn the premiership I'd be fairly dispassionate about getting back up there in a hurry. Until fergie decides to call an end to his thousand year Reich...

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-...n-200905181768/

Club after club will just continue to near bankrupt themselves trying to catch up. They stole a march on everyone back at the start of the premiership and fergie will not be giving it up.

So we have now a fairly dull procession every year with all the competition of a Kim Jong il election.

HOLA445
Yes I hear this big club argument a lot.

I think the thing that makes Newcastle United big, if that term has any meaning, is they have 50 thousand people turning up for matches despite the fact that they've won nothing in living memory.

How many people would be turning up to watch ManU or Liverpool if they'd won nowt since the 50s? Bloody hell poor old Arsene Wenger's nearly getting booted out of town because he hasn't won anything for a couple of years.

I think your confusing big with successful, which Newcastle United most certainly are not.

Should I be surprised that football thread on an HPC forum brings out folks who don't really know owt? I suppose not.

Manchester united went 26 years without winning anything really major. During this time Liverpool became the most succesful club in history. Who had the higher average attendance over this period? The 'all united fans are from london' myth is up there with the 'Newcastle still had 50,000 gates in the second division myth'. It's nonsense.

Off the top of my head I think newcastle were pulling about 17k to their home games during their time in the lower divisions.

HOLA446
Guest skullingtonjoe
Having worked around the Portsmouth area , I thought it was really nice, the people were great especially in Havant.

No disrespect, but working around a place and living there may be two different things. ;)

To be sure, the Southsea district is quite nice, but venture north of there and you`re in chav central.

At the end of the day I guess it`s different strokes for different folks. Maybe I`m just suffering from `home town blues`, but - by God - `Pompey` "does me `ead in"! :rolleyes: (Why don`t I leave? I have an excellent GP and Portsmouth at least has very good Adult Mental Health services!)

HOLA447
HOLA448
No disrespect, but working around a place and living there may be two different things. ;)

To be sure, the Southsea district is quite nice, but venture north of there and you`re in chav central.

At the end of the day I guess it`s different strokes for different folks. Maybe I`m just suffering from `home town blues`, but - by God - `Pompey` "does me `ead in"! :rolleyes: (Why don`t I leave? I have an excellent GP and Portsmouth at least has very good Adult Mental Health services!)

Im sorry to hear about your mental health problems, it doesn't sound like you would be happy anywhere.

Heres one for you, you talk about chav central then lets talk about Lea park,now I thought the people round there were really friendly, bit rough, a bit thick but hey we cant all be as super intelligent or unchav like as the people on this board can we.

This is what really p1sses me off here is posters looking down their noses at so called chavs or sheeple or indeed anybody that has the temerity to use a staffy as their avatar. Talk about bigotry, I'm desperately searching for a staff wearing the cross of England coat now just to make a point. And the point is they are lovely dogs, not aggressive, very good with children but some people want to brand them chavs dogs. Why ?

HOLA449
Should I be surprised that football thread on an HPC forum brings out folks who don't really know owt? I suppose not.

Manchester united went 26 years without winning anything really major. During this time Liverpool became the most succesful club in history. Who had the higher average attendance over this period? The 'all united fans are from london' myth is up there with the 'Newcastle still had 50,000 gates in the second division myth'. It's nonsense.

Off the top of my head I think newcastle were pulling about 17k to their home games during their time in the lower divisions.

:lol: WTF

26 years without winning anything major? What like the odd FA cup about 3 times during that period. Didn't they win a euro pot or two as well before they got back on with winning the championships. We obviously have a different definition of major in Newcastle.

I have no doubt if Newcastle are down for a prolonged period of time we won't be pulling in anything like 50k but then again nor would ManU.

HOLA4410
This is what really p1sses me off here is posters looking down their noses at so called chavs or sheeple or indeed anybody that has the temerity to use a staffy as their avatar. Talk about bigotry, I'm desperately searching for a staff wearing the cross of England coat now just to make a point. And the point is they are lovely dogs, not aggressive, very good with children but some people want to brand them chavs dogs. Why ?

Found your sofa :lol:

Staffie_England_Flag.jpg

Staffs are lovely dogs. My sister had one and it was wonderful. Most dogs can be aggressive if you train/treat them in a certain way. Staffs can look quite hard and they have historically been used as fighting dogs and still are. That is why some elements of chavvy society own them, not for pets but as status symbols or weapons.

Shame really because as pets they are brilliant and loving.

post-12527-1243518425_thumb.jpg

HOLA4411
Found your sofa :lol:

Staffie_England_Flag.jpg

Staffs are lovely dogs. My sister had one and it was wonderful. Most dogs can be aggressive if you train/treat them in a certain way. Staffs can look quite hard and they have historically been used as fighting dogs and still are. That is why some elements of chavvy society own them, not for pets but as status symbols or weapons.

Shame really because as pets they are brilliant and loving.

The staff I have is nearly a year old and Ive never know a dog like it, she knows the entire road loves everyone especially small children, which she is herself, doesnt bark at anything.

Some people have started to be a bit wary as she's got older but people that stop are just licked to death. She came from a council estate, her dad was a big aggresive looking staff but was soft as anything. The family were as some on here would call chavs but they were ok.

I picked her because she was the one who liked watching telly and all her brothers and sisters were sleeping on top of her while she was trying to watch the news.

She has bitten me by accident but she looked so sorry after. Oh and she did try to pierce my ear when she was very young.

HOLA4412
:lol: WTF

26 years without winning anything major? What like the odd FA cup about 3 times during that period. Didn't they win a euro pot or two as well before they got back on with winning the championships. We obviously have a different definition of major in Newcastle.

I have no doubt if Newcastle are down for a prolonged period of time we won't be pulling in anything like 50k but then again nor would ManU.

We won 4 FA Cups, and also relegated. In the same period Liverpool won the league title 11 times, the FA cup 4 times, the league cup 4 times and the little old European cup 4 times. That's 23 trophies to our 4 in 26 years. And we still pulled in bigger crowds than them throughout the whole period. in fact I bet we had a bigger average crowd in the second division than they did in the first.

Manchester United would pull 50k supporters in any division.

HOLA4413
Manchester United would pull 50k supporters in any division.

It would be interesting to see if this was the case if they were forced into administration if they defaulted on their loans. I've always believed that any team that goes into administration during the season, should be relegated - none of this 10 point deduction nonsense (I think the FA will tighten their rules on this, eventually)..this will certainly make clubs think twice, before unloading debt on to the club.

Many Premiership teams struggle after being relegated. Leeds & Man City have "healthy" attendances when they went into League One (between 25 - 30k), but Leeds are still struggling. The Southern Glory hunting fans, especially, would most likely dissert the club..they make up a significant proportion of their fan base..

All of this is course, big Ifs, but interesting to think about anyway.

HOLA4414

What has the number of trophys liverpool won got to do with?

Do you not consider the FA cup to be a major trophy?

Despite winning it in 77' 83' and 85' Man united averaged about 42 000 in the eighties, this (relegation) season Newcastle averaged 48,750, over 50 years since winning a major domestic trophy.

Now go and have a prawn sandwich.

HOLA4415
What has the number of trophys liverpool won got to do with?

Do you not consider the FA cup to be a major trophy?

Despite winning it in 77' 83' and 85' Man united averaged about 42 000 in the eighties, this (relegation) season Newcastle averaged 48,750, over 50 years since winning a major domestic trophy.

Now go and have a prawn sandwich.

What has the number of trophies Liverpool won got to do with it? errmmm.... if this is your argument then what has the number of trophies Newcastle haven't won got to do with it? That's what we're talking about isn't it? The relative success of clubs on and off the field.

All I'm saying is that despite popular misconceptions of the situation, Newcastle united have not averaged 50,000 supporters a year, every year despite having won no trophies. And Manchester United, despite having a quarter century barren period, especially compared to Liverpool remained the most popular club in the country - dispelling the myth that all united fans are glory seekers.

HOLA4416
Guest redwine
What has the number of trophies Liverpool won got to do with it? errmmm.... if this is your argument then what has the number of trophies Newcastle haven't won got to do with it? That's what we're talking about isn't it? The relative success of clubs on and off the field.

All I'm saying is that despite popular misconceptions of the situation, Newcastle united have not averaged 50,000 supporters a year, every year despite having won no trophies. And Manchester United, despite having a quarter century barren period, especially compared to Liverpool remained the most popular club in the country - dispelling the myth that all united fans are glory seekers.

what about sunderland ? the only n east team left in premiership ? fantastic fans like nufc football is part of n east life the best "derby match" in the country is safc v nufc

HOLA4417
what about sunderland ? the only n east team left in premiership ? fantastic fans like nufc football is part of n east life the best "derby match" in the country is safc v nufc
Sunderland is nuts - you get little old grannies spitting bile at you for being an away fan. It's like going to Poland in the pre-Solidarity days as a place, but Christ, they are fanatical (and ugly...cue that usual picture of chavs from the New Monkey).

The best away fans this season have been the Hull ones - they were absolutely loving being up - next season will be difficult for them though - their best hope is that the clubs that have come up are worse as they've not been able to sign a striker that can actually score in the Premiership......

HOLA4418

we were talking about the relative success of newcastle and manchester united, thats why i questioned you bringing liverpool up.

Your idea of a barren period is 3 FA cup wins?

I suspect you think football began with the premiership, back in the 70's and 80's the FA cup was considered far more important than it is today, roughly as important as winning the league.

I suppose we will never know how many fans Man U would have after 50 years with a trophy,even if they start tomorrow i will be dead in 50 years.

But go into any work place and you will find a few of their glory chasing , never been to old trafford,know nothing about football(a bit like you with your "barren period" nonsense) ilk.

Newcastle have averaged roughly 50 000 a year since promotion to the premier league and ground expansion, I know they got alot less prior to promotion.I have never met a Newcastle supporter who denies this, so where are you geting your popular misconceptions from?

Do you consider the FA cup to be a major trophy?

HOLA4419
Newcastle have averaged roughly 50 000 a year since promotion to the premier league and ground expansion, I know they got alot less prior to promotion.I have never met a Newcastle supporter who denies this, so where are you geting your popular misconceptions from?

Do you consider the FA cup to be a major trophy?

Newcastle's problem is the Geordie nation crap and how Newcastle are all that. The way they believe that people through the gate means they should be better than they are. The way they sack good managers because he won't play 'the right way' instantly (Allardyce amongst others), the way they stupidly believe in Shearer (no track record and will clearly be a disaster), Keegan (got lucky first time, but the game's moved on since the 1990s and is not a good manager, he's won nothing as one - reserve team, what reserve team do we need ?), driving other competent managers away (Dalglish and Souness), you name it. The way they tell people "it's just in the blood, man" and the way it's not possible to criticise them unless you are prepared to cut yourself to show you bleed black and white. And because you had the bad taste to sign trash like Bellamy, Dyer, Titfcku, Lee Bowyer, Joey Barton etc.... because Mike Ashley is an unpleasant fat man.

But mostly because you've been crap, you've been turgid to watch for a decade and because the overriding sense is that your fans talk of their 'entitlement' as a 'big club'. Er no. in the mid 1990s, outside of Boro and Blunderland you were most people's club they enjoyed watching most, you were exciting, you were loving it and enjoying it - then all the bloody Toon started getting big headed about it - so the Schadenfreude got big for all of us when you failed to win anything and you still kept on and on and on, signing lots of expensive rubbish, losing FA Cup Final after FA Cup final, , so we all took great pleasure in finally seeing the whole thing implode on you - and TBH, it's mostly the irritating fans that annoy people the most now. You were crap and have been for years. Live with it. Allardyce would have had you in a UEFA cup spot this year and probably pushing the Champions League places in another 2 years - but no, you all knew better and he 'had to go'.... as always.....

HOLA4420
Guest redwine
Sunderland is nuts - you get little old grannies spitting bile at you for being an away fan. It's like going to Poland in the pre-Solidarity days as a place, but Christ, they are fanatical (and ugly...cue that usual picture of chavs from the New Monkey).

The best away fans this season have been the Hull ones - they were absolutely loving being up - next season will be difficult for them though - their best hope is that the clubs that have come up are worse as they've not been able to sign a striker that can actually score in the Premiership......

i suppose that hull has no ugly people living there or chavs living there !

didnt know that sunderland looked like poland but then again ive never visited poland

can't remember seeing any old grannies at the matches woman don't care to much about football especially oap's

HOLA4421
i suppose that hull has no ugly people living there or chavs living there !

didnt know that sunderland looked like poland but then again ive never visited poland

can't remember seeing any old grannies at the matches woman don't care to much about football especially oap's

I am from Bolton - our lot look like inbred zombies too. I was just staggered at how many Mackems are tracksuit wearing scallies...... - the old granny was when we spanked you 4-1 at your place - my overriding memory was being spat at by a woman who was 90 if she was a day..... :) - tickled me.... Sunderland just looked awful, like the 1970s and Eastern Europe..... - a really struggling town... (again like Bolton).

HOLA4422
Newcastle's problem is the Geordie nation crap and how Newcastle are all that. The way they believe that people through the gate means they should be better than they are.

I think the belief is the for the money the club generate they should have won more, nothing else.

the way they stupidly believe in Shearer (no track record and will clearly be a disaster),

Could not agree more, the idea being a good player makes a good manager is nonsense, if i was shearer i would run a mile, newcastle manager is a (very profitable) poisoned chalice.

But mostly because you've been crap, you've been turgid to watch for a decade and because the overriding sense is that your fans talk of their 'entitlement' as a 'big club'.

This is the biggest lie people put out about newcastle, i don't know ONE newcastle fan who considers us a big club like the big four, so where do the numptys get this shite from?

in the mid 1990s, outside of Boro and Blunderland you were most people's club they enjoyed watching most, you were exciting, you were loving it and enjoying it - then all the bloody Toon started getting big headed about it - so the Schadenfreude got big for all of us when you failed to win anything

Agreed to some extent.We were fashionable for a while, and that means we were bound to fall out of fashion.

You were crap and have been for years. Live with it.

Agreed, and i don't know one newcastle fan who would disagree with you.Not just crap but an actual joke of a club, i think they should change their name to "crisis club newcastle united" , because thats what they are.

Enjoy your

Schadenfreude

HOLA4423

When we go down, we're not coming back - we've had a cracking decade to 20 years - we've beaten everyone, we've gone from Div 4 to UEFA Cup, via a cup final, play offs and upset the Establishment with Rioch and Allardyce., We've played some great football and some utter rubbish - and we've loved it - but when we go, and it won't be long, we will be gone for good........

I think for some reason Newcastle have a problem with the media too - they really do love panning you and I've not worked out why.....

HOLA4424
When we go down, we're not coming back - we've had a cracking decade to 20 years - we've beaten everyone, we've gone from Div 4 to UEFA Cup, via a cup final, play offs and upset the Establishment with Rioch and Allardyce., We've played some great football and some utter rubbish - and we've loved it - but when we go, and it won't be long, we will be gone for good........

I think for some reason Newcastle have a problem with the media too - they really do love panning you and I've not worked out why.....

Schadenfreude

HOLA4425

Schadenfreude
but why - they must have loved the 1990s, the 4-3s with Liverpool, Fenerbahce, Barcelona, the insane run in, Tino, Keegan playing 2-3-5 away from home, all that sort of stuff - where did it change - with "I'll love it" - or did it start to turn with Freddie S and the NOTW and the expose ?

Archived